Integration--Cauchy Principal Value, Residue, line integration, poles

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the integral $\int_0^{\infty}\frac{(\log x)^2}{1 + x^2}dx$ and how to evaluate it using a keyhole contour. After some discussion and calculations, it is determined that the contour can be simplified to a semi-circle in the upper half plane and a small semi-circle around the origin. The final result is that the integral is equal to $\frac{\pi^3}{8}$.
Dustinsfl
$$
\int_0^{\infty}\frac{(\log x)^2}{1 + x^2}dx = \frac{\pi^3}{8}
$$

I have no idea what to do with this integral. I can't see it is even and do 1/2 the integral from -infinity to infinity since log -x doesn't make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
$\log x$ is a multivalued function, so there needs to be a branch cut somewhere. Have you used the keyhole contour before?

Random Variable said:
$\log x$ is a multivalued function, so there needs to be a branch cut somewhere. Have you used the keyhole contour before?

No I think log is supposed to be viewed as the real log in this integral.
If you have Lang's book, I can tell you what page it is on.

Let me correct myself. You're going to let $\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{\log^{2} z}{1+z^{2}}$ and $\log z$ is a multivalued function.

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

Define the cut along the negative imaginary axis (including the origin). Then the contour is exactly the same as the contour for $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin^{2} x}{x^{2}} \ dx $.

let $\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{(\log z)^{2}}{1+z^{2}}$ and recall that $\displaystyle \log z = \ln z + i \arg z$

$\displaystyle \int_{-R}^{-r} f(x) \ dx + \int_{C_{r}} f(z) \ dz + \int_{r}^{R} f(x) \ dx + \int_{C_{R}} f(z) \ dz = 2 \pi i \ \text{Res} [f,i] $

$\displaystyle = 2 \pi i \lim_{z \to i} \ (z-i) \frac{(\log z)^2}{1+z^{2}} = 2 \pi i \frac{(\log i)^{2}}{2i} = \pi \left( \ln |i| + i \arg{i} \right)^{2} = \pi \left(\frac{i \pi}{2} \right)^{2} = \frac{-\pi^{3}}{4}$so we have $\displaystyle \int_{-R}^{-r} \frac{(\ln |x| + i \pi)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx + \int_{C_{r}} f(z) \ dz + \int_{r}^{R} \frac{(\ln|x| + i0)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx + \int_{C_{R}} f(z) \ dz = \frac{-\pi^{3}}{4}$If you let $r$ to go to zero and $R$ go to infinity, the second the fourth integrals will go to zero. You can show that using the ML inequality.$\displaystyle \text{PV} \left( \int_{-\infty}^{0} \frac{(\ln |x|)^{2} + 2 \pi i \ln |x| - \pi^{2}} {1+x^{2}} + \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(\ln x)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx \right)$

$ \displaystyle =\text{PV} \left( \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(\ln x)^{2} + 2 \pi i \ln x - \pi^{2}} {1+x^{2}} + \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(\ln x)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx \right) = \frac{-\pi^{3}}{4} $now equate the real parts on both sides

$ \displaystyle 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(\ln x)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx - \pi^{2} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{1+x^{2}} \ dx = \frac{-\pi^{3}}{4} $ (I dropped the PV label since both integrals converge.)

so $\displaystyle 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(\ln x)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx - \frac{-\pi^{3}}{2} = \frac{-\pi^{3}}{4} \implies \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(\ln x)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx = \frac{\pi^{3}}{8}$ (Whew)

Random Variable said:
Let me correct myself. You're going to let $\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{\log^{2} z}{1+z^{2}}$ and $\log z$ is a multivalued function.

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

Define the cut along the negative imaginary axis (including the origin). Then the contour is exactly the same as the contour for $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin^{2} x}{x^{2}} \ dx $.

let $\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{(\log z)^{2}}{1+z^{2}}$ and recall that $\displaystyle \log z = \ln z + i \arg z$

$\displaystyle \int_{-R}^{-r} f(x) \ dx + \int_{C_{r}} f(z) \ dz + \int_{r}^{R} f(x) \ dx + \int_{C_{R}} f(z) \ dz = 2 \pi i \ \text{Res} [f,i] $

$\displaystyle = 2 \pi i \lim_{z \to i} \ (z-i) \frac{(\log z)^2}{1+z^{2}} = 2 \pi i \frac{(\log i)^{2}}{2i} = \pi \left( \ln |i| + i \arg{i} \right)^{2} = \pi \left(\frac{i \pi}{2} \right)^{2} = \frac{-\pi^{3}}{4}$so we have $\displaystyle \int_{-R}^{-r} \frac{(\ln |x| + i \pi)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx + \int_{C_{r}} f(z) \ dz + \int_{r}^{R} \frac{(\ln|x| + i0)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx + \int_{C_{R}} f(z) \ dz = \frac{-\pi^{3}}{4}$If you let $r$ to go to zero and $R$ go to infinity, the second the fourth integrals will go to zero. You can show that using the ML inequality.$\displaystyle \text{PV} \left( \int_{-\infty}^{0} \frac{(\ln |x|)^{2} + 2 \pi i \ln |x| - \pi^{2}} {1+x^{2}} + \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(\ln x)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx \right)$

$ \displaystyle =\text{PV} \left( \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(\ln x)^{2} + 2 \pi i \ln x - \pi^{2}} {1+x^{2}} + \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(\ln x)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx \right) = \frac{-\pi^{3}}{4} $now equate the real parts on both sides

$ \displaystyle 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(\ln x)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx - \pi^{2} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{1+x^{2}} \ dx = \frac{-\pi^{3}}{4} $ (I dropped the PV label since both integrals converge.)

so $\displaystyle 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(\ln x)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx - \frac{-\pi^{3}}{2} = \frac{-\pi^{3}}{4} \implies \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{(\ln x)^{2}}{1+x^{2}} \ dx = \frac{\pi^{3}}{8}$ (Whew)

So the contour is the semi-circle in the upper half plane?

Yes, but with a small semi-circle about the origin to avoid the logarithmic singularity there. A keyhole contour was not needed.

Related to Integration--Cauchy Principal Value, Residue, line integration, poles

1. What is the Cauchy Principal Value?

The Cauchy Principal Value is a mathematical concept used to define the value of certain improper integrals. It is the limit of a function as a point approaches a singularity, where the integral may not exist in the traditional sense.

2. What is a residue in integration?

In integration, a residue is a complex number that remains after the integration of a function around a simple closed curve. It is important in the evaluation of certain integrals, particularly those involving poles.

3. How is line integration used in mathematics?

Line integration is a mathematical concept used to evaluate a function along a curve. It is often used in multivariable calculus and complex analysis to calculate work, flux, and other physical quantities.

4. What are poles in integration?

In integration, poles are points where a function becomes infinite or undefined. They can affect the behavior of integrals and require special techniques, such as the Cauchy Principal Value, for evaluation.

5. How are Cauchy Principal Value and residue related?

The Cauchy Principal Value and residue are related in the sense that they both involve the evaluation of integrals near singularities. The Cauchy Principal Value is used to define the value of an integral at a singularity, while the residue is the value of the integral around the singularity. They are both important tools in complex analysis and related fields.