Why split interval here? Area under a curve

In summary, when finding the area under a curve, the formula ##A = \int_a^b\left|g(x)-f(x)\right|dx## must be split into separate integrals when the function defining the region changes. This can be seen in the example of a region between two functions, where the integral must be calculated for each function separately and then added together. It is important to identify what is being integrated in order to correctly calculate the area.
opus
Gold Member
Please see attached image.
When we want to find the area under a curve, we can use the formula
##A = \int_a^b\left|g(x)-f(x)\right|dx## where g(x) is greater than f(x) and both are continuous over the closed interval ##[a,b]##
My text, as seen in the picture, described the area under the curve as a complex region, and says we need to split it up.
What's the reasoning behind this? Does it have something to do with the bounds?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 1.13.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 1.13.18 AM.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 470
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I may have noticed a possible reason. On [0,1) ##g(x) > f(x)## and on (1,2] ##f(x) > g(x)##. So I don't think we could use the given formula in this case because a function would need to be greater than the other over the entire interval.

opus said:
I may have noticed a possible reason. On [0,1) ##g(x) > f(x)## and on (1,2] ##f(x) > g(x)##. So I don't think we could use the given formula in this case because a function would need to be greater than the other over the entire interval.

The region is entirely above the x-axis, so there is no need to split the integral to account of regions of "positive" and "negative" area. But, the function defining the region changes at ##x=1##. So, you need to integrate one function from 0 to 1 and another function from 1 to 2.

Note that the region is not the difference of two functions.

Likes opus
PeroK said:
The region is entirely above the x-axis, so there is no need to split the integral to account of regions of "positive" and "negative" area.
I haven't gotten to such a problem but I'll keep this in mind when I do.

PeroK said:
But, the function defining the region changes at x=1x=1. So, you need to integrate one function from 0 to 1 and another function from 1 to 2.
So on [0,1), the function defining the region is the orange one, and from (1,2] it's the blue?
So if I have something like the graph in this new image, which appears to have an area defined by two functions throughout, it would be acceptable to have a single integration rather than two?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 2.50.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 2.50.01 AM.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 351
PeroK said:
Note that the region is not the difference of two functions.
Thanks for pointing that out. The given formula in post 1 has a subtraction of two areas, but it makes sense that this would be an addition of the two since we're splitting it up.

opus said:
I haven't gotten to such a problem but I'll keep this in mind when I do.So on [0,1), the function defining the region is the orange one, and from (1,2] it's the blue?
So if I have something like the graph in this new image, which appears to have an area defined by two functions throughout, it would be acceptable to have a single integration rather than two?

That area is the region between two functions!

PeroK said:
That area is the region between two functions!
Yes, but you're saying since, a part of the area is strictly defined by one function, and the other part is strictly defined by another, it needs to be separated into a manner where we take the integral over the entire domain covered by one function, the integral of the rest of the domain covered by the other, and then add them up. Correct?

opus said:
Yes, but you're saying since, a part of the area is strictly defined by one function, and the other part is strictly defined by another, it needs to be separated into a manner where we take the integral over the entire domain covered by one function, the integral of the rest of the domain covered by the other, and then add them up. Correct?

Your second example is the area between two functions.

You need to be able to identify what you are integrating. For example, if I asked you to calculate the area of a triangle and square joined together, you would have to calculate the area of the triangle and the area of the square and add them together. There's nothing except your own logical thinking that will tell you that!

The first example you posted was the area between the x-axis and complicated function that was part parabola, before becoming a straight line. Like the triangle and square, you need to calculate those two parts separately. Again, you have to see that for yourself.

The second example you posted is the area between two curves. You can calculate that by integrating the difference of the two functions. Again, you have to see that for yourself.

Likes opus
Loud and clear. Thanks!

1. Why split interval here?

The interval is split in order to calculate the area under a curve using numerical integration methods. This allows for a more accurate estimation of the area by breaking it into smaller sections.

2. How is the interval split?

The interval can be split into equal or unequal subintervals, depending on the desired level of accuracy and the complexity of the curve being integrated.

3. Why is the area under a curve important?

The area under a curve represents the total value or quantity of a variable, and can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. What methods are used to split the interval?

The most common methods used to split the interval are the trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule. These methods use a combination of straight lines or parabolas to approximate the curve and calculate the area.

5. Can the interval be split into an infinite number of subintervals?

In theory, yes, but in practice, there is a limit to the number of subintervals that can be used due to computational constraints. The number of subintervals used will depend on the desired level of accuracy and the complexity of the curve being integrated.