Integration in Calculus: Understand What It Is

In summary: And yes, the limit of the Riemann sum is the integral, not the other way around. In summary, integration in calculus is a way of approximating the area under a curve by summing the areas of rectangles under the curve. As the rectangles get thinner and more numerous, the approximation becomes more accurate. The integral is the exact value of this area and is also the function for which the original function is the derivative. It can also be thought of as the area under the graph of a function.
ubergewehr273
I have seen in a lot of textbooks this funny curly bar which denotes integration with a lot of fancy numbers around.
Could anyone tell me what exactly is integration in calculus?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
An integral is a very, very close approximation to a sum. Read gopher_p's link above, and you'll see that an integral is really a way of approximating the area under a complex curve by summing the areas of appropriately drawn rectangles under the curve. As we make the rectangles thinner and thinner (i.e., ##\Delta x \to 0##), then the approximation is more and more accurate because we can draw more rectangles and position them more appropriately. The process I'm talking about is called a "Riemann Sum", which is where the integral comes from. The "curly bar" you're referring to is actually made to look like an elongated "S", as if to stand for "sum".

More succinctly,

##S = \lim_{\Delta x_i \to 0} \sum_{i = 1}^{n} f(x_i) \Delta x_i##, which is called the Riemann integral over an interval ##[a, b]## if the limit exists.

Basically, what it says is if we let ##\Delta x_i##, the "base" of the rectangle, get smaller and closer to zero while letting the "height" of the rectangle, ##f(x_i)##, the function value, stay the same, then our sum gets more and more accurate.

Last edited:
The integral F(x) of a function f(x) is the function for which f(x) is the derivative. The derivative of f(x), which might be called f'(x) or df/dx, is a function that tells you how the value of f(x) changes at any value of x. If you look at the graph of f(x) = x, you'll see that the function changes its value at a constant rate, 1 in this case, and so the derivative of x is 1. If you're still in early calculus, you can think of the derivative as the function that gives you the slope of f(x) at any value of x.

Basically you integrate f(x) and get F(x), and if you take the derivative of F(x) you get f(x).

It can also be thought of as the area under the graph of a function. For instance, if you have f(x) = x, you take the integral and get (1/2)x^2. Note that the graph of f(x) = x forms a triangle. Well, the area of a triangle is 1/2* base* height, and the triangle formed by the graph of f(x) = x forms a triangle where base = height = x, substituting those values, you get (1/2)x^2.

I don't really like that explanation since it doesn't truly show how powerful integration is, but from a purely practical perspective that's a good way to think about it when you first encounter them.

AMenendez: the integral is not a very close approximation, it is exact.

The integral of sin(x) from 0 to 42 doesn't give me a very close approximation, it gives me the exact area under the curve.

A Riemann sum gives an approximation to the area of the curve. The limit of the Riemann sum is the integral, and it is not very close, it is exact.

1MileCrash said:
AMenendez: the integral is not a very close approximation, it is exact.

The integral of sin(x) from 0 to 42 doesn't give me a very close approximation, it gives me the exact area under the curve.

A Riemann sum gives an approximation to the area of the curve. The limit of the Riemann sum is the integral, and it is not very close, it is exact.
Sorry, that's what I meant to say actually. The integral is basically like the continuous counterpart of the discrete Riemann sum, so it is exact--my reasoning was backwards.

Related to Integration in Calculus: Understand What It Is

1. What is integration in calculus?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve or the total accumulation of a quantity over an interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is a fundamental concept in calculus.

2. Why is integration important in calculus?

Integration is important in calculus because it allows us to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the displacement, velocity, or acceleration of an object. It also has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

3. How is integration different from differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations. While differentiation finds the rate of change of a function, integration finds the total accumulation of a function. In other words, differentiation deals with instantaneous change while integration deals with total change over an interval.

4. What are the different types of integration?

There are two main types of integration: indefinite integration and definite integration. Indefinite integration involves finding the antiderivative of a function, while definite integration involves finding the area under a curve between two given points.

5. What are some common techniques for solving integration problems?

Some common techniques for solving integration problems include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. There are also some basic rules and formulas, such as the power rule and the sum and difference rules, that can be used to solve simpler integration problems.