Integration of the Outer Product of a Basis

In summary, the conversation discusses a principle used in a worked example in Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. The justification for this principle involves the completeness of the |x> eigenstates and an identity. The issue arises when trying to move the integral and dx outside of the outer brackets, and the justification for this is questioned. The second issue mentioned is related to x being an eigenvalue of |x>, but only if a continuous spectrum is accepted. The confusion arises from the notation used by Mr. Griffiths. The speaker believes that glossing over these issues in a worked example may cause problems in future assignments.
Prometheus18
Hello all. I'm using Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (3rd ed., 2018), and have come across what, on the face of it, seems a fairly straightforward principle, but which I cannot justify to myself. It is used, tacitly, in the first equation in the following worked example:
Example-3-10.jpg

The putative justification is in the fact that the |x> eigenstates form a complete basis and the following identity, which I conpletely understand, holds:

Basis-Identity.jpg

My problem is this: How does one justify moving the integral sign and dx outside of the outer brackets here? There is integration over the right hand part, and even the state vector S(t), given that it's not a function of x, can be rightly brought inside the integral but how do we justify moving the <p|x part inside it, if there's no summation over that part (and x hat and p both obviously depend on x)?

To be honest, I also fail to understand the second legerdemain, mentioned this time by Mr Griffiths (below the first equation); it's true that x is, in a certain sense, an eigenvalue of |x>, of course, but only if we accept a continuous spectrum of eigenvalues; it fails to be an eigenvalue at all if it's a constant, which appears to negate what Mr Griffiths is saying, unless I'm mistaken.

I know most students would probably gloss over these sorts of issues on a worked example without a second thought but the way I see it is that that will cause issues further down the line on actual assignments.

Attachments

• Example-3-10.jpg
    Example-3-10.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 802
  • Basis-Identity.jpg
    Basis-Identity.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
The position operator and the momentum eigenstate certainly don't depend on "x", he's just using very confusing notation here.

Likes bhobba

1. What is the Outer Product of a Basis?

The outer product of a basis is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a matrix. It is also known as the tensor product or Kronecker product.

2. How is the Outer Product of a Basis used in integration?

The outer product of a basis is used in integration to calculate the volume of a higher-dimensional space. It is also used in multivariate calculus to find the gradient and Hessian matrix of a function.

3. What is the formula for calculating the Outer Product of a Basis?

The formula for calculating the outer product of two vectors, a and b, is given by ab = abT, where T represents the transpose of the vector b.

4. How does the Outer Product of a Basis relate to the Inner Product?

The outer product and inner product are two different mathematical operations. The outer product produces a matrix, while the inner product produces a scalar. However, the outer product can be used to calculate the inner product in certain cases, such as when the vectors are orthogonal.

5. Can the Outer Product of a Basis be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the outer product of a basis can be generalized to higher dimensions. In fact, the outer product of three or more vectors can produce a higher-dimensional tensor, which is useful in fields such as physics and engineering.