Integration using the reduction formula

In summary, the conversation is about integrating a rational function using a reduction formula and applying it to the given equation. The speaker advises to be careful in simplifying the formula and also suggests applying the same formula to expand a different integral.
studentxlol
Read the math in the image below

aOfUJ.jpg

Is it possible to integrate the rational function using that reduction formula. If yes, how do I go about doing it?

Keep it simple, I'm new to this (And I missed a lesson)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have
$$I_n = \int \frac{x^n}{\sqrt{ax+b}}\,dx$$ so you're starting with n=2. When you apply the formula and simplify, you should get
$$I_2 = \frac{x^2\sqrt{4x+5}}{10} - I_1$$ You made a mistake in the coefficient of I1, so recheck your work getting the second line. Now apply the same formula to expand I1. You'll end up with an expression with I0 which you should know how to integrate.

Related to Integration using the reduction formula

1. What is integration using the reduction formula?

Integration using the reduction formula is a technique used to solve integrals of certain types of functions by reducing them to simpler integrals that are easier to solve.

2. How does the reduction formula work?

The reduction formula works by using a recursive relationship between integrals of similar functions. This allows us to reduce a complex integral to a simpler one by repeatedly applying the formula.

3. What types of integrals can be solved using the reduction formula?

The reduction formula is primarily used for integrals involving powers of trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, and some algebraic functions. It is not applicable to all types of integrals.

4. Can the reduction formula be used to solve indefinite integrals?

Yes, the reduction formula can be used to solve both definite and indefinite integrals. However, it is more commonly used for definite integrals as it involves an iterative process that can be time-consuming for indefinite integrals.

5. Are there any limitations to using the reduction formula for integration?

While the reduction formula is a powerful tool for solving certain types of integrals, it is not applicable to all integrals. It also requires a certain level of skill and understanding to correctly apply the formula and obtain accurate results.