Intensity and decibels problem

In summary: If it is, then I think my next step would be to try and help you do the algebra. If it's not, then I'll need more information to help you out. In summary, Homework Equations state that I2/I1=2. If you want to double the sound intensity, you must move to a distance greater than 10 m.
05holtel

Homework Statement

You are 10m away from a sound source. If you want the intensity in DB to double, you must move to a distance...?

Homework Equations

Idb = 10log(I/I0)
I is proportional to 1/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 1m and I know that in order to make the sound louder, you need to get closer
Not sure how to get 1m though

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

I'll get you started. What you want to do, as with anything where you are comparing two quantities, is either take a ratio or subtraction. In this case, what do you think you want to do?

Take a ratio.
I2/I1 = 2

Now what

So...

[tex]2=\frac{I_2}{I_1}=\frac{10log(I_2/I_0)}{10log(I_1/I_0)}[/tex]

But how do you relate it to I being proportional to 1/r^2.
I am not sure how to get 1m

From here it's all algebra, right? Try it out for a bit and let me know where you get stuck.

I2/I1 = 2 = (1/1/r2^2) / (1/r1^2) = square root (100/2) =7
stuck

Logs don't quite work like that. If you want to undo a log you have to exponent it.

I am very confused

05holtel said:
You are 10m away from a sound source. If you want the intensity in DB to double, you must move to a distance...?
Hello 05holtel,

Could you just double check your problem statement, and make sure you copied it over correctly?

I ask because it's very strange for anyone to want something to double in dB. It's just something that doesn't happen often, if at all. As a matter of fact, depending on how you look at it doesn't even make sense.

It's very common to want the power, energy, or power flux, etc., to double (in non-dB terms such as Watts, Joules, Watts/(square meter), etc.), But in terms of dB, you do that by adding 3 dB.

For examples of dB respresentation, you could represent a power in dB in reference to 1 Watt.

[tex] P_{dBW} = 10 \ \mbox{log} \left( \frac{P}{1 \ \mbox{W}} \right) [/tex]

You could also represent a power in terms of milliwatts.

[tex] P_{dBm} = 10 \ \mbox{log} \left( \frac{P}{1 \ \mbox{mW}} \right) [/tex]

(Both of these concepts are used widely in engineering professions, by the way.)

So let's make a very specific example, and calculate 1 Watt, in terms of [tex] P_{dBW} [/tex] and [tex] P_{dBm} [/tex].

[tex] P_{dBW} = 10 \ \mbox{log} \left( \frac{1 \ \mbox{W}}{1 \ \mbox{W}} \right) = 0 \ \mbox{dBW} [/tex]

[tex] P_{dBm} = 10 \ \mbox{log} \left( \frac{1000 \ \mbox{mW}}{1 \ \mbox{mW}} \right) = 30 \ \mbox{dBm}[/tex]

Keep in mind that 1 Watt, 0 dBW, and 30 dBm are all equal. They are all the same thing!

But if we were to double our 1 Watt power example, in terms of dBW, it wouldn't change the actual intensity at all. How can you double 0? It's still 0.

If we were to double the value in terms of dBm, we get 60 dBm. Doing a reverse calculation, that corresponds to 1000 Watts!

My point of all of this is that it just doesn't make practical sense for wanting a value in dB to double. In terms of dB, adding 3 dB doubles the power intensity. Subtracting 3 dB halves the power intensity. But multiplying a dB value by something isn't so common.

Being specific to this problem, in terms of sound pressure level, suppose the intensity of the sound source was at the human auditory threshold (just barely audible). In that case, the sound intensity is measured to be 0 dB. There's no way to double that! Or suppose the sound intensity was just below the human threshold of hearing. In that case, the person would have to move backwards (to a distance greater than 10 m) to double it!

What I fear is that your instructor is trying to get you to recognize that

[tex] 2 \times 10 \ \mbox{log} \left( \frac{I}{I_0} \right) = 10 \ \mbox{log} \left( \left[\frac{I}{I_0} \right]^2 \right) [/tex]

and somehow relate that to the sound intensity being proportional to 1/r2. This can be done (although I have no clue as to why anybody would ever want to), but there needs to be more problems details to do it, such as the specific sound intensity at 10 m for example. (And even though such things are possible to do mathematically, in practice, situations don't come up where somebody would ever really want to do that.)

So I just want to be sure that the problem statement is phrased correctly.

Last edited:

1. What is intensity and how is it measured?

Intensity is a measure of the amount of energy that passes through a given area in a specific amount of time. It is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m2). The higher the intensity, the more energy is being transmitted. Intensity can be measured using a variety of instruments such as a sound level meter or a microphone connected to a computer or data logger.

2. What are decibels and how are they related to intensity?

Decibels (dB) are a logarithmic unit used to measure the relative loudness of sound. They are related to intensity through a logarithmic formula, where a doubling of intensity results in an increase of 3 dB. This means that a sound with an intensity of 10 W/m2 will have a sound level of 93 dB, while a sound with an intensity of 20 W/m2 will have a sound level of 96 dB.

3. How is the decibel scale used to measure sound intensity?

The decibel scale is used to measure sound intensity because it is a logarithmic scale that better reflects the way humans perceive sound. It allows for a wider range of intensities to be represented in a more manageable scale. The decibel scale also allows for direct comparisons between different sound levels, as a difference of 10 dB is perceived as a doubling or halving of loudness.

4. What is the relationship between distance and intensity?

The relationship between distance and intensity is an inverse square law, meaning that as distance from the sound source increases, intensity decreases exponentially. This is because the same amount of energy is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a decrease in intensity. For example, if you double the distance from a sound source, the intensity will decrease by a factor of four.

5. How does the human ear perceive changes in intensity and decibels?

The human ear is able to perceive a wide range of sound intensities, from the quietest whisper to the loudest jet engine. Our ears have a non-linear response to changes in intensity, which means that we are better at detecting changes in loudness at lower intensities compared to higher intensities. Additionally, our ears have a limited range of perception for decibels, with the threshold of pain at around 120 dB and the threshold of hearing at around 0 dB.