Intensity of solar radiation at earth orbit

In summary, the equation for f motion is: -Fg + Fs cos θ)/m = du/dt - v^2/r ; where u is radial velocity and v is tangential velocity (making v^2/r angular velocity?) and r is distance from Sun, and m is total mass of the spacecraft. This equation is solved for radial and tangential velocities respectively, and the results are used to calculate du/dt and uv/r.
tomelwood

Homework Statement

I am try to understand how the value of 1370 watts per metre squared for the intensity of sunlight hitting the Earth has been derived. Is there a way to see this mathematically?

Homework Equations

I understand about how the intensity is related to Poyntings vector, by taking it's average over the wavelength (ie multiplying it by 0.5) but I don't see how this has anything to do with the radius of the orbit.

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation for I is 0.5*c*ε_0 * E^2_0 where E_0 is the amplitude of the Electric part of the EM wave, and ε_0 is the permitivity of free space 8.85*10^-12.
How do I calculate the E_0 value? And does that vary with radius? I can't imagine that it does, so I'm back to square 1! I'm trying to calculate the radiation pressure on a surface at differing distances from the sun, so knowing how and why the intensity changes would be greatly helpful
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
tomelwood said:
I am try to understand how the value of 1370 watts per metre squared for the intensity of sunlight hitting the Earth has been derived. Is there a way to see this mathematically?
The solar constant is not derived. It is an observed quantity.

So rather than calculating the solar constant from the sun's power, rather the power of the sun is calculated from the observed solar constant. OK. I have since discovered that I can relate the power of the sun to the intensity of the sunlight passing through a sphere of radius r, simply by dividing it by the area of said sphere. I presume this is how the sun's power was calculated in the first place. If this is correct, then it should serve the purpose that I require. Hopefully!

In addition to this, I have read in a journal that the forces acting on a solar sail inclined at an angle θ to the normal are the force of gravity from the sun (Fq) (we're in free space, away from planets etc) and the force exerted by the sail perpendicular to it's surface (Fs)
This journal then constructs the equations f motion thus:
(-Fg + Fs cos θ)/m = du/dt - v^2/r ; where u is radial velocity and v is tangential velocity (making v^2/r angular velocity?) and r is distance from Sun, and m is total mass of spacecraft
and
(-Fs sin θ)/m = dv/dt + uv/r

I can't fathom how these have been arrived at. They appear to be resolving horizontally and vertically, but why is the radial component involved in the vertical resolution and vice versa?

Any hints/tips would be great, or links to other resources that explain the same thing.

Many thanks.

What is solar radiation?

Solar radiation is the energy emitted by the sun in the form of electromagnetic waves. It is the primary source of energy for all living organisms on Earth.

How does the intensity of solar radiation change at Earth's orbit?

The intensity of solar radiation decreases as it travels from the sun to Earth's orbit. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of radiation is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

What factors affect the intensity of solar radiation at Earth's orbit?

The intensity of solar radiation at Earth's orbit is affected by various factors such as the tilt of Earth's axis, the Earth's distance from the sun, changes in the sun's activity, and the amount of atmospheric gases that absorb or reflect radiation.

How is the intensity of solar radiation measured at Earth's orbit?

The intensity of solar radiation is measured using satellites and ground-based instruments. These instruments measure the amount of radiation in a specific wavelength range and calculate the total energy received at Earth's orbit.

Why is understanding the intensity of solar radiation at Earth's orbit important?

Understanding the intensity of solar radiation at Earth's orbit is crucial for various reasons. It helps us understand climate change, predict weather patterns, and develop technologies that harness solar energy. It also has implications for human health and the survival of plants and animals on Earth.