Interaction between science and religion in the 17th century

In summary: Copernican theory. He was a philosopher and theologian who argued for the infinite universe and the idea that God is a universal spirit, not a physical being. This directly challenged traditional religious beliefs and led to his persecution by the Catholic Church. Additionally, Francis Bacon also played a role in this interaction by advocating for the use of reason and experimentation in understanding the natural world, which went against the traditional religious belief in relying solely on faith. Overall, this interaction between science and religion during the 17th century can be seen as a combination of both positive and negative, as it brought about new discoveries and advancements while also challenging long-held beliefs and leading to persecution of those who went against the
kingwinner
I am writing an essay for a course regarding the history and philosophy of science. The topic is:
"During the 17th century, there was intense interaction between science and religion. Using examples, mount an argument that takes a position on this interaction. In other words, with reference to some hisotrical examples, discuss whether you regard this relationship as positive, negative, or a combination of both."

What I get from this is that the examples must be from the 17th century. I am only aware of Galileo's trial, the conflict with the church of whether the Earth is stationary or moving. Other than this, I am feeling blank. I can't think of any other figures with examples of interaction between science and religion, can someone kindly remind me of some other examples?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for helping!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
you're forgetting that galilieo wrote a book called a dialogue on two world systems copernicus v ptolemy , so copernicus had something to do with it. descartes came up with about the cartesian duality, and rationalism basically, pascal argued for god, benedict spinoza did too. don't you have a textbook? mine has a chapter in it just about this.

ice109 said:
you're forgetting that galilieo wrote a book called a dialogue on two world systems copernicus v ptolemy , so copernicus had something to do with it. descartes came up with about the cartesian duality, and rationalism basically, pascal argued for god, benedict spinoza did too. don't you have a textbook? mine has a chapter in it just about this.

Copernicus is a good example, but not a 17th century figure...
For Descartes, what are cartesian duality and rationalism? I haven't come across these terms yet...

And yes, I have 5 textbooks for this course, but there aren't any specific discussion between science and religion.

kingwinner said:
Copernicus is a good example, but not a 17th century figure...
For Descartes, what are cartesian duality and rationalism? I haven't come across these terms yet...

And yes, I have 5 textbooks for this course, but there aren't any specific discussion between science and religion.

galileo's word system was based on copernicus' ideas. cartesian duality is that you cannot be sure of the senses only your brain "i think therefore i am". rationalism is the consequent of that, everything has to be rationally, by the brain, proved. this obviously meant that mysticism was out. look up pascal's wager. honestly the real push for secularism was made by the philosophes not the scientists

ice109 said:
galileo's word system was based on copernicus' ideas. cartesian duality is that you cannot be sure of the senses only your brain "i think therefore i am". rationalism is the consequent of that, everything has to be rationally, by the brain, proved. this obviously meant that mysticism was out. look up pascal's wager. honestly the real push for secularism was made by the philosophes not the scientists

Oh, I see! :smile:
But how do they relate to religion?

Don't forget Giordano Bruno

1. What was the main conflict between science and religion in the 17th century?

The main conflict between science and religion in the 17th century was the clash between the scientific discoveries and theories of the time, such as the heliocentric model of the universe proposed by Copernicus, and the religious beliefs and teachings of the Catholic Church. The Church saw these scientific advancements as a threat to their authority and worldview, leading to conflicts and persecution of scientists.

2. How did Galileo's work impact the interaction between science and religion in the 17th century?

Galileo's work, particularly his support for the heliocentric model and his use of the telescope to observe the planets and stars, challenged the Church's teachings and led to his trial and eventual house arrest. This event highlighted the tension between science and religion and illustrated the Church's resistance to accepting new scientific ideas.

3. Did all scientists during the 17th century reject religious beliefs?

No, not all scientists during the 17th century rejected religious beliefs. Many scientists, such as Isaac Newton, were deeply religious and saw their scientific discoveries as a way to better understand and appreciate the wonders of God's creation. However, they also faced conflicts with the Church and had to carefully navigate the intersection of science and religion.

4. How did the rise of empiricism influence the relationship between science and religion in the 17th century?

The rise of empiricism, which emphasized the importance of observation and experimentation in scientific inquiry, challenged the traditional religious belief in divine revelation and authority. This led to a shift in thinking and a growing divide between science and religion as sources of knowledge and truth.

5. Were there any attempts to reconcile science and religion in the 17th century?

Yes, there were attempts to reconcile science and religion in the 17th century, such as the efforts of theologian Thomas Burnet to reconcile the Bible with the findings of geology and natural history. However, these attempts were often met with resistance and did not fully bridge the gap between the two fields of study.