Interatomic spacing problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the distance between two adjacent atoms, represented by d in the figure. The interatomic separation is L, but the question is about the distance between two parallel lines. The solution suggests finding the distance between these lines by drawing a perpendicular line and measuring the distance d. However, the answer states that d is actually half the distance between two diagonally positioned atoms, which is not clear in the figure. This leads to confusion about the relationship between d and L.
Idan9988
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
IMG_20230521_113910.jpg

according to the figure, it's look like d is the distance between the center of two adjacent atoms, and so it should be simply L. I don't understand what d represents in the figure.
that's the solution:
IMG_20230521_113744.jpg

Even if d is half the distance between two adjacent atoms that positioned diagonally (I don't see why), is came out to me completely different expression:
IMG20230521121029.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
If the interatomic separation is ##L## (see figure below) what is the separation between the planes indicated by the solid black lines? That is how you identify what you are being asked. Note that the figure shows a different cleavage plane from the one given to you but the idea is the same.

Lattice.png

Last edited:
but if the interatomic separation is L, and what I'm being asked about is the distance between those parallel lines, isn't d should be equal simply to L?

IMG_20230521_175234.jpg

according to the answer, d is half the distance between two diagonally positioned atoms, which in the figure is the line segment between one atom to the red arrow. I don't see why this segment is the answer to what I'm being asked about?

Idan9988 said:
according to the answer, d is half the distance between two diagonally positioned atoms, which in the figure is the line segment between one atom to the red arrow. I don't see why this segment is the answer to what I'm being asked about?
Atomic plane fracture.jpg

Likes SammyS, TSny and Idan9988
Idan9988 said:
but if the interatomic separation is L, and what I'm being asked about is the distance between those parallel lines, isn't d should be equal simply to L?
Draw a line that is perpendicular to the two parallel lines. The distance ##d## between them is the segment of the perpendicular contained between the two.

Likes Idan9988

1. What is the interatomic spacing problem?

The interatomic spacing problem is a phenomenon in materials science where the atoms in a solid material are not evenly spaced. This can lead to various issues such as changes in material properties and structural instability.

2. What causes the interatomic spacing problem?

The interatomic spacing problem can be caused by a variety of factors, including impurities in the material, defects in the crystal structure, and external stresses on the material. It can also be a result of the manufacturing process or changes in temperature and pressure.

3. How does the interatomic spacing problem affect material properties?

The interatomic spacing problem can significantly impact material properties such as strength, conductivity, and durability. When atoms are not evenly spaced, it can lead to weaker bonds between them, making the material more susceptible to deformation or failure.

4. Can the interatomic spacing problem be solved?

The interatomic spacing problem can be mitigated through various methods, such as using high-quality materials, carefully controlling the manufacturing process, and conducting thorough testing and analysis. However, in some cases, it may be impossible to completely eliminate the issue.

5. How is the interatomic spacing problem studied and analyzed?

Scientists use various techniques such as X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, and computer simulations to study and analyze the interatomic spacing problem. These methods allow them to visualize and measure the spacing between atoms and identify any irregularities or defects in the material.