Interesting Book On The History Of QM And Einstein's Role

In summary, the author discusses how quantum mechanics is related to other fields of physics and discusses some of the criticisms of the theory. He also recommends a few books on the topic.
Check it out:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PYMLZWJ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Its available free if you have Kindle Unlimited.

Many books do not get right that Einstein knew QM very well indeed and greatly admired Dirac, of whom he said:
'Dirac, to whom, in my opinion, we owe the most perfect exposition, logically, of this [quantum] theory'

I rather liked it.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
While I agree that it's easy to misconstrue Einstein's role in developing QM and his opinions of it, just on reading the Preface of this book I see a lot of things that ring my "personal theory" alarm bells.

PeterDonis said:
just on reading the Preface of this book I see a lot of things that ring my "personal theory" alarm bells.

A look at the author's website strengthens this impression:

http://informationphilosopher.com/

Likes vanhees71
I think the best histories of QM are "Quantum Generations" by Helge Kragh, Chapter 1 of Weinberg's Lectures on Quantum Mechanics or for full detail the six volume "The Historical Development of Quantum Theory" by Mehra and Rechenberg.

The first two give a good summary of Einstein's contributions.

jedishrfu said:
There is also the Hawking book titled Dreams that Stuff is Made Of with seminal papers by the physicists who developed QM.

Had a look. Interesting content and haven't read a book by Hawking for ages. Not part of Kindle unlimited but still very cheap so said what the heck and got it.

Thanks
Bill

Formatting is odd in that book with a good few transcription errors.

I really like Ghirardi's book. It sits nice between popular and academic, and contains a lot of history.

1. What is the main focus of the book?

The main focus of the book is the history of quantum mechanics and Albert Einstein's role in its development.

2. Is the book suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, the book is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. It explains complex concepts in a clear and engaging manner.

3. How does the book approach Einstein's contributions to quantum mechanics?

The book delves into the specific theories and experiments that Einstein conducted and how they influenced the development of quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any new insights or perspectives offered in the book?

Yes, the book offers a fresh perspective on Einstein's role in the history of quantum mechanics and how his ideas continue to impact the field today.

5. Who would benefit from reading this book?

Anyone with an interest in the history of science, particularly in the development of quantum mechanics and the contributions of Albert Einstein, would benefit from reading this book.