Interesting Electrodynamics Problem

In summary, the problem is to understand the role of vector potential fields in generalizing the relationship between a velocity independent work function and the potential energy function.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I am not sure if this fits under this title, but oh well... I guess it goes for students but also for higher in hierarchy people (they also like some problems which can have an extension)
What has been your favourite to talk-about problem in Electrodynamics ? I am looking for something that would make me think over it apart from just solving.

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
What has been your favourite to talk-about problem in Electrodynamics ? I am looking for something that would make me think over it apart from just solving.
Are you looking for unsolved problems, or just generally conceptual problems over a fairly wide range of difficulty that reveal interesting physical/mathematical structure?

muscaria said:
Are you looking for unsolved problems, or just generally conceptual problems over a fairly wide range of difficulty that reveal interesting physical/mathematical structure?

Both can be fancy ... But to keep it down a little, I'd go with your 2nd category

Not that it's a favourite of mine or particularly difficult, just something i noticed earlier the other day which I kind of found interesting.. The aim of the problem is to gain insight into the role played by vector potential fields in generalising the relationship ##U(q_1,q_2,\cdots,q_n) = -V(q_1,q_2,\cdots,q_n)## between a velocity independent work function and the potential energy function, to the situation of a velocity dependent work function of a charge interacting with the E-M field.

Consider a charge ##+e## traveling at some moment in time with non-relativistic velocity ##\textbf{v}_0## in a uniform static magnetic field orthogonal to ##\textbf{v}_0## and uniform time independent background scalar potential ##\phi##. In such a situation, the charge undergoes uniform circular motion with energy $$E=\frac{1}{2}m\textbf{v}_0\cdot\textbf{v}_0 +e\phi,$$ which remains constant during the motion and is independent of the strength of the uniform magnetic field. Thus, the effect of the rotational vector field ##\textbf{A}## is simply to rotate ##\textbf{v}_0## at a constant rate in time without changing its magnitude.

1) Show that the Hamiltonian function is a constant of the motion which can be interpreted as the sum of kinetic energy ##T## and potential energy ##V##, provided the potential energy is defined as ##V=\sum_i A_iv_i - U(\textbf{x},\textbf{v})##.
2) What form should ##V## take generally (in terms of ##U##) for such an interpretation to be valid?
3) Thus, find the relationship between ##A_i## and the work function ##U##. Compare this expression to the definition of canonical momentum and comment on the nature of the mathematical relationship between the potential and work functions and of the variable ##A_i##.

Bonus (purely analytical mechanics really):
Given the invariant differential form of the work function ##dU=\sum_i F_i dq_i##, find an expression for the generalised forces ##F_i## in terms of a velocity dependent work function ##U(q_1,q_2,\cdots,q_n;\dot{q}_1,\dot{q}_2,\cdots , \dot{q}_n)##.

Likes vanhees71
4) Generalize the problem to relativistic motion :-).

vanhees71 said:
4) Generalize the problem to relativistic motion :-).
Sure why not! That would give you all the time in the world :p.. And would lead nicely to further head scratching:
5) In a similar fashion to considering the motion of the phase fluid as a continual succession of infinitesimal canonical transformations, show that the motion of the velocity vector of a charge in an EM field can be viewed as a continual sequence of infinitesimal Lorentz transformations, provided by the components of the EM stress tensor.

Likes vanhees71
A charge undergoing uniform linear acceleration radiates. So why doesn't a charge at rest in a gravitational field?

Likes jerromyjon and PWiz
One should be fair and note that the uniformly accelerating charge (hyperbolic motion) is a singular problem, where the standard treatment of the retarded fields does not properly work without a careful analysis. The correct treatment can be found in the following paper:

D. J. Cross, Completing the Liénard-Wiechert potentials: The origin of the delta function fields for a charged particle in hyperbolic motion, Am. J. Phys. 83, 349 (2015)
http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.1569

Which is one of the many things that makes it an interesting problem.

Likes vanhees71
@vanhees71 I don't understand how to get the Green's function in that problem...
[itex] G= \frac{\delta \big( c(t- t^\prime) - R \big)}{R} \Theta(t-t')[/itex]
I understand that the delta function but not the 1/R.

Suppose you are calculating the Poynting Vector of a point charge near a magnet...you can discover that the energy flows in circles around the magnet, from where this angular momentum come from?

GiuseppeR7 said:
Suppose you are calculating the Poynting Vector of a point charge near a magnet...you can discover that the energy flows in circles around the magnet, from where this angular momentum come from?

Depends what you mean by near as well as the shape of the magnetic and whether or not the charge is initially moving. I'm guessing by the last part of your question that you are trying to describe a situation identical to the problem I suggested, right? Are you trying to get to the idea that the canonical momentum is the quantity which represents the flow and the gauge potential curves the path associated with this flow, turning linear momentum into angular momentum (from magnet "off" to magnet "on")?

Related to Interesting Electrodynamics Problem

1. What is an interesting electrodynamics problem?

An interesting electrodynamics problem is a challenge or puzzle related to the study of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with charged particles. These problems can range from theoretical questions about the behavior of electromagnetic waves to practical applications in engineering and technology.

2. How do scientists approach solving an interesting electrodynamics problem?

Scientists use a combination of mathematical equations, physical principles, and experimental data to analyze and solve interesting electrodynamics problems. This may involve creating computer simulations, conducting experiments, or developing new theories and models.

3. Can you give an example of an interesting electrodynamics problem?

One example of an interesting electrodynamics problem is the study of electromagnetic induction, which explains how a changing magnetic field can produce an electric current. This phenomenon is used in many applications, such as generators and transformers, and understanding its behavior is crucial for advancing technology.

4. Why are interesting electrodynamics problems important?

Studying and solving interesting electrodynamics problems helps us better understand the fundamental laws of electromagnetism and how they govern the behavior of the universe. This knowledge has led to countless technological advancements and continues to fuel scientific discoveries.

5. What skills are needed to solve an interesting electrodynamics problem?

To solve an interesting electrodynamics problem, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and critical thinking. Additionally, proficiency in computer programming, data analysis, and experimental design may also be necessary depending on the specific problem being tackled.