Does Heating a Metal Wire Change Its Properties?

eitan77
Homework Statement
A metal wire ring has a cut of the width d. The ring is at a temperature of 20 degrees C.
If one heats the ring up to the temperature of 100 degrees C, how will the width of the cut d change?
(You can assume that the full geometry of the ring with cut is known).

I would love to know what you think about my solution. Do you think the assumptions are correct?

can you try to explain qualitatively how d will change with the increasing temperature and why?
Relevant Equations
delta_L =L*alpha*delta_T

alpha -the wire's coefficient expansion
L- the wire's length
I have attached a PDF file.

Attachments

• Note 17 Nov 2023.pdf
    516.4 KB · Views: 30
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post the diagram as a directly viewable image, not as a PDF (that's a pain to download on an iPad).

Likes eitan77
OP's work:
1700266969494.png

1700266992511.png

1700267009226.png

Likes eitan77 and berkeman
You assume that the radius does not change. Is this a reasonable assumption? For a closed ring the radius changes by the same fraction as the perimeter of the ring. What if you mark two points on a closed ring and measure the cord between the points at the two temperatures?

Likes eitan77
If ##\Delta L=L_0\alpha\Delta T## it follows that the final length is $$L=L_0+L_0\alpha\Delta T=L_0(1+\alpha\Delta T)$$ This says that the "hotter" length is proportional to the "cooler" length. The constant of proportionality is the same in both x and y directions. What does this suggest?

Likes eitan77
In pure thermal expansion like this, the expansion is unconstrained, such that the body deforms in a way so that the final configuration is geometrically similar to the initial configuration, and all linear dimensions grow by the same fraction.

Likes eitan77
haruspex said:
Please post the diagram as a directly viewable image, not as a PDF (that's a pain to download on an iPad).
sorry for that I promise to do it next time, one of the respondents uploaded the file as an image.

Chestermiller said:
In pure thermal expansion like this, the expansion is unconstrained, such that the body deforms in a way so that the final configuration is geometrically similar to the initial configuration, and all linear dimensions grow by the same fraction.
Thanks for the comment. But what about this case where the thermal expansion is not in the linear direction but in the angular direction? (Maybe I'm wrong)

I tried to think of it as a horizontal wire that grew in length as a result of the heating from which the ring is made. When there is a complete ring the length of the wire increases and therefore the radius must increase, but when the ring has a cut as in this case, the expansion of the wire can go to closing the the cut or part of it so that the radius remains as it was.
My calculations were based on this assumption.

nasu said:
You assume that the radius does not change. Is this a reasonable assumption? For a closed ring the radius changes by the same fraction as the perimeter of the ring. What if you mark two points on a closed ring and measure the cord between the points at the two temperatures?
Thanks for the comment. please check my comment (#9) I explained my way of thinking there. I would love to hear your opinion on this.

eitan77 said:
Thanks for the comment. But what about this case where the thermal expansion is not in the linear direction but in the angular direction? (Maybe I'm wrong)

I tried to think of it as a horizontal wire that grew in length as a result of the heating from which the ring is made. When there is a complete ring the length of the wire increases and therefore the radius must increase, but when the ring has a cut as in this case, the expansion of the wire can go to closing the the cut or part of it so that the radius remains as it was.
My calculations were based on this assumption.
Unconstrained thermal expansion is isotropic, and occurs equally in all directions. What does “geometrically similar “ mean to you?

Chestermiller said:
Unconstrained thermal expansion is isotropic, and occurs equally in all directions. What does “geometrically similar “ mean to you?
Thank you again. This means that the objects look exactly alike except for the fact that they are of different sizes.
So my assumption was wrong. Can it be said that in this case the width of the cut d will necessarily increase?

eitan77 said:
Thank you again. This means that the objects look exactly alike except for the fact that they are of different sizes.
Yes!!! It's like taking a photograph at the lower temperature and then taking it again at the higher temperature. The second photo is an enlargement of the first by a factor of ##(1+\alpha~\Delta T)## (see post #5).

eitan77 said:
So my assumption was wrong. Can it be said that in this case the width of the cut d will necessarily increase?
Yes

eitan77 said:
The thermal expansion of an isotropic solid is isotropic (unless the solid is constrained; not the case here). This means that all the dimensions change by the same fraction.

Thank you all for the answers, you helped me a lot.

Likes kuruman

1. How does heating a metal wire affect its properties?

Heating a metal wire can cause changes in its properties such as its strength, conductivity, and resistance. As the wire heats up, the atoms within the metal vibrate more, which can lead to changes in its physical and chemical properties.

2. What happens to a metal wire when it is heated?

When a metal wire is heated, it expands due to the increased kinetic energy of its atoms. This expansion can cause the wire to become longer and thinner, and it may also become more malleable and easier to bend.

3. What is the melting point of a metal wire?

The melting point of a metal wire varies depending on the type of metal. For example, copper has a melting point of 1,984°F (1,084°C), while iron has a melting point of 2,800°F (1,538°C). The melting point is the temperature at which a solid metal turns into a liquid.

4. Can heating a metal wire cause it to break or become damaged?

Yes, heating a metal wire can cause it to break or become damaged if it is heated to a high enough temperature. This is because excessive heat can weaken the metal and make it more prone to breaking or melting. It is important to carefully monitor the temperature when heating a metal wire to avoid damaging it.

5. How is a metal wire heated?

A metal wire can be heated using a variety of methods, including passing an electric current through it, using a flame or a hot surface, or using a heating element such as a Bunsen burner. The method used will depend on the type of metal and the desired temperature. It is important to use caution and proper safety measures when heating a metal wire.