Interference from a thin film

If so, the radius of curvature of the lens or curved surface can be calculated using the formula R = (mλR)^2/2t, where m is the order of the fringe, λ is the wavelength of light, R is the distance from the center to the point where the curvature is being measured, and t is the thickness of the thin film. As for determining the maximum radius of curvature at which interference can be observed, it would depend on the thickness of the film and the wavelength of light being used. In summary, calculating the radius of sample curvature from an interference pattern involves using the formula R = (mλR)^2/2t, and determining the maximum radius of curvature for observing interference depends on the thickness of
Emily_Khan
Hello, I have a question about interference.

I have interference from thin film, i.e. fringes of equal inclination. How I can calculate the radius of sample curvature from the interference pattern? How I can to determine the maximum radius of curvature of the surface at which interference will be observed?

Science news on Phys.org
Emily_Khan said:
Hello, I have a question about interference.

I have interference from thin film, i.e. fringes of equal inclination. How I can calculate the radius of sample curvature from the interference pattern? How I can to determine the maximum radius of curvature of the surface at which interference will be observed?
Welcome to the PF, Emily. :smile:

Are you saying your thin film is curved? Is it curved in 1 dimension or two? Can you post a picture or a diagram to clarify your question? Thanks.

Are you dealing with something like Newton's rings?

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman

1. What is interference from a thin film?

Interference from a thin film is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off of the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film, causing them to interfere with each other. This results in a pattern of light and dark bands, known as interference fringes, which can be observed when the film is viewed under a light source.

2. How does interference from a thin film work?

Interference from a thin film is based on the principle of superposition, which states that when two or more waves meet, their amplitudes add together. In the case of a thin film, the light waves that reflect off of the top and bottom surfaces interfere with each other, either constructively or destructively, depending on the thickness of the film and the wavelength of the light.

3. What factors affect interference from a thin film?

The thickness of the film, the refractive index of the film material, and the wavelength of the incident light are the main factors that affect interference from a thin film. Additionally, the angle of incidence and the polarization of the light can also have an impact on the interference pattern.

4. What are some real-world applications of interference from a thin film?

Interference from a thin film is used in a variety of applications, including anti-reflective coatings on eyeglasses and camera lenses, thin film solar cells, and optical filters. It is also used in non-destructive testing methods, such as ellipsometry, to measure the thickness and optical properties of thin films.

5. How is interference from a thin film studied and measured?

Interference from a thin film can be studied and measured using several techniques, including spectrophotometry, ellipsometry, and interferometry. These methods involve measuring the intensity or phase of the light that is reflected from the film, which can then be used to calculate the film's thickness and optical properties.