Interference in double-slit with single photons

In summary, the interference patterns in a double slit experiment are not always predictable and can be affected by the ambient light in the room.
Byron Forbes
My question is about how the interference patterns work in a double-slit experiment when firing individual photons through either slit.

Classic - there is 1 photon - it has nothing to interfere with.
Quantum - even with a photon going through each slit at the same time, the likelihood of them converging on the detection plate and interfering might as well be zero.

So what are we seeing?

Obviously, there are zillions of other photons in the room, of varying wavelength, to pass through the slits at any time we fire one from our photon gun. Mustn't it be so that what we see is the constructive and de-constructive interference of our fired photon with all the other ones passing through the slits at the same time and direction?

Has the ambient EMR (basic light in the room) ever been taken into account in these experiments?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • Love
Likes mattt, vanhees71, berkeman and 1 other person
Byron Forbes said:
My question is about how the interference patterns work in a double-slit experiment when firing individual photons through either slit.

Has the ambient EMR (basic light in the room) ever been taken into account in these experiments?

You are completely ignoring the main issue in a double slit experiment. That being: when you know which slit a photon goes through (or could know), there is no interference. If the background radiation were an issue (which our good experimental scientists of course know to eliminate), then there would never be a change in the pattern.

So logic dictates that you should perhaps read a detail explanation of such experiments before you try to guess what the professional scientists forgot to consider. In addition to PeroK's reference, here is one:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1602.05987

Abstract:
As normally used, no commercially available camera has a low-enough dark noise to directly produce video recordings of double-slit interference at the photon-by-photon level, because readout noise significantly contaminates or overwhelms the signal. In this work, noise levels are significantly reduced by turning on the camera only when the presence of a photon has been heralded by the arrival, at an independent detector, of a time-correlated photon produced via parametric down-conversion. This triggering scheme provides the improvement required for direct video imaging of Young's double-slit experiment with single photons, allowing clarified versions of this foundational demonstration. Further, we introduce variations on this experiment aimed at promoting discussion of the role spatial coherence plays in such a measurement. We also emphasize complementary aspects of single-photon measurement, where imaging yields (transverse) position information, while diffraction yields the transverse momentum, and highlight the roles of transverse position and momentum correlations between down-converted photons, including examples of "ghost" imaging and diffraction. The videos can be accessed at this http URL online.

• Love
Likes PeroK and vanhees71
Let me be more specific here before we continue.

I have no interest in experiments with detectors, mirrors, half silvered mirrors or any other junk. I have no interest in whether this is any sort of proof or example of the pattern disappearing or not. Read my question and see the simplicity of the experiment I defined.

Let me be more specific.

My only interest is how a single instance of constructive interference can take place.

So we shoot our photon and it ultimately is seen to land in the middle of one of the bands (constructive interference).

Now, the question is very simple - where does the other photon come from that it interferes with?

Is QM saying that there are infinitely many possibilities for our photon, so all can exist up to and including the moment a specific event occurs, so it's partner went through the other slit and is now interfering with it, and then both immediately vanish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Byron Forbes said:
Now, the question is very simple - where does the other photon come from that it interferes with?

There is no other photon that enters the picture. The one photon (quantum system) in question interferes with itself.

As you may already know, it takes a number of photons interfering with themselves to build up a picture that shows constructive and destructive interference.

StevieTNZ said:
There is no other photon that enters the picture. The one photon (quantum system) in question interferes with itself.

So how does a photon interfere with itself? Are you talking about it's quantum pair that went through the other slit?

Byron Forbes said:
So how does a photon interfere with itself? Are you talking about it's quantum pair that went through the other slit?
No pairs. One photon, acting as a wave (not in the classical sense) going through both slits.

StevieTNZ said:
No pairs. One photon, acting as a wave (not in the classical sense) going through both slits.
I would point out at this point, you may be best to read a book called "Sneaking a Look at God's Cards". You might find that beneficial to your understanding of quantum theory at a laymen level.

Ok, though I find this answer unacceptable, we are at least getting somewhere and I get the general idea of what QM is saying i.e. that no other photons are interfering with our photon.

So what is wrong with the following interpretation?

There are zillions of other photons (ambient light) passing through the slits in the same direction and at the same time as our photon. On the whole and on average, they can be thought of as being of a specific wavelength and so the way our photon interacts with them, on average, could be expected to yield an interference pattern.

Why is this suggestion invalid?

Byron Forbes said:
Why is this suggestion invalid?
The experimental set-up would take into account any other photons coming into the setup.
as per
Byron Forbes said:
I get the general idea of what QM is saying i.e. that no other photons are interfering with our photon.

StevieTNZ said:
The experimental set-up would take into account any other photons coming into the setup.
as per

How so?

I'm not an experimental physicist so I wouldn't know the technical details. Perhaps someone can help explain a bit more behind the setup.

Also, let's even consider the following.

At the moment we fire our photon, what is so special about it compared to all of the other photons in the room, especially the other ones that are about to go through those slits as well and in the same direction?

To be honest, I wouldn't go down that track. Even I got stuck into that topic quite deep years ago and it just gave me tension headaches to the point of nausea. Unless you can cope differently...

And maybe the most important question here, and this really has nothing to do with QM, is that even if we shine a light globe through 2 slits we get an interference pattern. As a matter of fact, we clearly get a diffraction pattern even with 1 slit?

Agreed?

So the massive question is, we are seeing light being deflected here so how is that occurring? Does contemporary science have any explanation for this?

Byron Forbes said:
we are seeing light being deflected here so how is that occurring?

Quantum mechanics.

Byron Forbes said:
Does contemporary science have any explanation for this?

Yes, it's called quantum mechanics.

I strongly suggest taking some time to learn how QM actually works from a textbook; you appear to have some very basic misunderstandings.

Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
Byron Forbes said:
At the moment we fire our photon, what is so special about it compared to all of the other photons in the room

The fact that it is inside the experimental apparatus, which is carefully shielded by the experimenters so stray photons can't get in. @DrChinese pointed this out way back in post #3.

Byron Forbes said:
especially the other ones that are about to go through those slits as well and in the same direction?

There aren't any. See above.

The OP questions are based on misunderstandings, which have been corrected. Thread closed.

1. What is interference in the context of double-slit experiments with single photons?

Interference refers to the phenomenon where waves interact with each other and either reinforce or cancel out, resulting in a pattern of alternating bright and dark areas. In the double-slit experiment with single photons, interference occurs when a single photon passes through two closely spaced slits and interferes with itself, creating a pattern of light and dark fringes on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does interference occur in the double-slit experiment with single photons?

Interference in the double-slit experiment with single photons is caused by the wave-like nature of photons. When a single photon passes through the two slits, it behaves as a wave and produces a diffraction pattern. The waves from the two slits then interact with each other, causing interference and creating the characteristic pattern of bright and dark fringes on the screen.

3. What is the significance of interference in the double-slit experiment with single photons?

The interference pattern observed in the double-slit experiment with single photons provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of light. It shows that even though photons are particles, they can also exhibit wave-like behavior. This experiment also demonstrates the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, as the exact location of a single photon cannot be predicted, but the probability of it landing in a certain area can be calculated.

4. Can interference still occur if only one slit is open in the double-slit experiment with single photons?

No, interference cannot occur if only one slit is open in the double-slit experiment with single photons. In order for interference to occur, there must be two sources of waves (in this case, the two slits). If only one slit is open, there is no wave interference and the pattern on the screen will simply be a single bright spot, as expected for a particle.

5. How does the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern in the double-slit experiment with single photons?

The distance between the slits plays a crucial role in the interference pattern observed in the double-slit experiment with single photons. The closer the slits are to each other, the wider the fringes will be on the screen. This is because the waves from the two slits will have a larger difference in path length, resulting in a greater interference effect. Conversely, if the slits are further apart, the fringes will be narrower. This is because the waves from the two slits will have a smaller difference in path length, resulting in less interference.