Interference pattern in a moving train

In summary, the interference pattern will form when the slits are open at different times, as opposed to when they are open at the same time.
Adel Makram
Here is a thought experiment which is a modified version of a one I posted 4 years ago.
A moving train, where there are two slits at an equal distance from a photon source along the direction of motion open for a short period of time to allow the entry of photons from the source. The source emits one photon at a time. The two slit are closed before and after the photon approaching them.

For the train observer, an interference pattern will form.

However, for the ground observer, the sequence as follows; the rear slit opens and closes then the near slit opens and closes. Now, for the ground observer, the photon will only see one slit opens which mandates an outcome to be the same as a single slit experiment with no formation of any interference pattern.
I posted a similar thread in 2012 https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/interference-pattern-versus-sr.567738/page-7. At the end, I was convinced that what matters, is the coincidence of paths of two photons at the screen no matter whether the two slits open at the same time or no. But here, only one photon is emitted at a time, so there is no paths to coincide on the screen. What makes the interference pattern is the two wave-functions of the photon. but the wave-function possesses no physical reality and no such thing like a path of a wave-function which means no physical coincidence happen on the screen.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adel Makram said:
Now, for the ground observer, the photon will only see one slit opens which mandates an outcome to be the same as a single slit experiment with no formation of any interference pattern.
I will give you the same advice I did last time: work through the math. You will find that this claim is wrong, it is not what is predicted by QFT.

Hint: what do you know about commutation? Is there any known theorem about commutation of spacelike separated measurements?

Likes Adel Makram and bhobba
Adel Makram said:
However, for the ground observer, the sequence as follows; the rear slit opens and closes then the near slit opens and closes. Now, for the ground observer, the photon will only see one slit opens which mandates an outcome to be the same as a single slit experiment with no formation of any interference pattern.
Firstly, there is nothing specific quantum about this "paradox", you can just as well use classical EM to make the same claim. The resolution is that for the ground observer, the wavefront will not reach the slits at the same time. It will first reach the rear slit, and then the near slit. This corresponds exactly to the times the respective slits are open. So the wavefront will in fact go through both slits.

In the path integral QED version of this, the ground observer will find that the photon paths to the rear slit are on average shorter than the paths to the near slit, with the same consequence as in the previous paragraph.

Likes Adel Makram
Dale said:
I will give you the same advice I did last time: work through the math. You will find that this claim is wrong, it is not what is predicted by QFT.

Hint: what do you know about commutation? Is there any known theorem about commutation of spacelike separated measurements?
What is the cummutation of measurements (space-like)?

Heinera said:
Firstly, there is nothing specific quantum about this "paradox", you can just as well use classical EM to make the same claim. The resolution is that for the ground observer, the wavefront will not reach the slits at the same time. It will first reach the rear slit, and then the near slit. This corresponds exactly to the times the respective slits are open. So the wavefront will in fact go through both slits.

In the path integral QED version of this, the ground observer will find that the photon paths to the rear slit are on average shorter than the paths to the near slit, with the same consequence as in the previous paragraph.
Consider a standard double slits experiment in one single frame of reference but with one modification, other than the emission of photons one at a time, that the two slits are never open at the same time as one of them is always closed when the other is opened. Will the interference pattern form then?

Adel Makram said:
Consider a standard double slits experiment with nothing moving but with one modification, other than the emission of photons one at a time, that the two slits are never open at the same time as one of them is always closed when the other is opened. Will the interference pattern form then?
If both slits are positioned at the same distance from the source, then there will be no interference pattern.

Likes Adel Makram
Heinera said:
If both slits are positioned at the same distance from the source, then there will be no interference pattern.
Now, can I conclude that relative to the ground observer in my original post where the two slits are never open at the same time, that no interference pattern form?

Adel Makram said:
Now, can I conclude that relative to the ground observer in my original post where the two slits are never open at the same time, that no interference pattern form?
No, because relative to the ground observer, the two slits are not positioned at the same distance from the source (the position of the source being the position at the time of emission of the photon).

Heinera said:
No, because relative to the ground observer, the two slits are not positioned at the same distance from the source (the position of the source being the position at the time of emission of the photon).
How come? LT is a linear transformation from one space to another, so the relative distance between points should be maintained?

Adel Makram said:
How come? LT is a linear transformation from one space to another, so the relative distance between points should be maintained?
No, relative distances need not be conserved with Lorentz transformations. E.g., think of an equilateral triangle that becomes Lorentz contracted along some direction. It is no longer equilateral.

Likes Adel Makram
Heinera said:
No, relative distances need not be conserved with Lorentz transformations. E.g., think of an equilateral triangle that becomes Lorentz contracted along some direction. It is no longer equilateral.
I think this is true if the triangle is moving in the direction of one side of those are equal. But if it is moving, for example, in the direction of a third side, the two equal sides should remain equal too to any other observer.
Sorry, I was confused, I thought you were talking about isosceles triangle. But any way, the relative distances along the direction of motion should be the same!

Last edited:
Adel Makram said:
I think this is true if the triangle is moving in the direction of one side of those are equal. But if it is moving, for example, in the direction of a third side, the two equal sides should remain equal too to any other observer.
Here is the situation as seen from the ground observer: He first registers an emission event from the source. Then the photon travels at the speed of light in his frame, towards the slits. But when the photon reaches the slits, the slits are in a completely different position relative to the original position of the source (at the time of emission), due to the moving train. In particular, the photon will reach the rear slit first.

Likes entropy1 and Adel Makram
Adel Makram said:
What is the cummutation of measurements (space-like)?
See section 3.2 here:

http://www.hep.manchester.ac.uk/u/dasgupta/teaching/Dasgupta-08-Intro-to-QFT.pdf

Once you have learned this aspect of QFT you will understand the resolution of your quandary. Until then I am going to close this thread to give you time to digest the material.

1. What is an interference pattern in a moving train?

An interference pattern in a moving train refers to the phenomenon where two or more waves, such as light or sound, interact with each other while traveling through a moving train. This creates a pattern of alternating bright and dark regions, known as interference fringes, which can be observed on a screen or surface placed in the path of the waves.

2. How does a moving train affect the interference pattern?

The movement of a train causes a change in the relative positions and velocities of the interfering waves, resulting in a shift in the interference pattern. This is due to the Doppler effect, which causes the frequency of the waves to change as the train moves towards or away from the source of the waves.

3. What factors can influence the interference pattern in a moving train?

The main factors that can influence the interference pattern in a moving train include the speed of the train, the wavelength of the waves, and the angle at which the waves are emitted or received. Other factors such as the shape and material of the train, as well as any obstructions or reflections in the train, can also have an impact on the interference pattern.

4. What applications does the interference pattern in a moving train have?

The interference pattern in a moving train has several practical applications, including the measurement of the speed and direction of the train, as well as the detection of any obstacles or changes in the environment. It is also used in various industries, such as transportation, telecommunications, and engineering, to improve the accuracy and efficiency of systems and processes.

5. How can we use the interference pattern in a moving train to improve our understanding of physics?

The interference pattern in a moving train is a clear demonstration of the principles of wave interference and the Doppler effect, which are fundamental concepts in physics. By studying this phenomenon, we can gain a deeper understanding of how waves behave in different conditions and how they can be manipulated for various purposes. This knowledge can then be applied to other areas of physics, such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetism.