Interior temperature of a solar collector

In summary, A solar collector with an effective area of 12 m^2 is insulated and receives 300 W/m^2 of power from the sun on a cold winter day of -20.0 C. Assuming it is a black body, the interior temperature after reaching a steady-state condition is 38 C. However, the individual attempting the solution may have made a mistake in the calculation process.
imatreyu

Homework Statement

A solar collector has an effective collecting area of 12 m^2. The collector is thermally insulated, and so conduction is negligible in comparison with radiation. On a cold but sunny winter's day the temperature outside is -20.0 C, and the Sun irradiates the collector with a power per unit area of 300 W/m^2. Treating the collector as a black body (i.e., emissivity = 1.0), determine its interior temperature after the collector has achieved a steady-state condition (radiating energy as fast as it is received).

Homework Equations

I used P = s A e (T^4 - To^4)

The Attempt at a Solution

300 = (5.66 x 10^-8)(12)(T^4 - 253.15^4)

The answer should be 38 C, according to the book, but I don't get that at all when I solve for T. . .I keep getting -13 C. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
imatreyu said:
I used P = s A e (T^4 - To^4)

The Attempt at a Solution

300 = (5.66 x 10^-8)(12)(T^4 - 253.15^4)

The answer should be 38 C, according to the book, but I don't get that at all when I solve for T. . .I keep getting -13 C. What am I doing wrong?

The numbers look okay. When I solve the equation for T and plug in the given numbers I get 38.2 C. Must be a finger issue. :smile:

Darn. .. I keep getting -13. Maybe I need to review basic order of operations. . .

Oh! Why do I ignore the area?

I would first double check my calculations and make sure all units are consistent. It is possible that a small error in unit conversion or a mistake in the algebra could lead to a different answer. Additionally, I would make sure the assumptions made in the problem (such as neglecting conduction and treating the collector as a black body) are appropriate and do not affect the final result significantly. If the calculations and assumptions are correct, I would try to understand why the answer in the book is different and potentially reach out to the author or other experts in the field for clarification. It is also important to note that this is a simplified model and in reality, the interior temperature of a solar collector may be affected by other factors such as wind, humidity, and heat loss from the surrounding environment.

1. What is the ideal temperature for a solar collector to operate at?

The ideal temperature for a solar collector to operate at is typically between 160-180 degrees Fahrenheit. This allows for efficient energy collection without causing damage to the collector or its components.

2. How does the interior temperature of a solar collector affect its efficiency?

The interior temperature of a solar collector greatly affects its efficiency. The higher the temperature, the more energy can be collected and converted into usable electricity. However, if the temperature gets too high, it can cause damage to the collector and decrease its efficiency.

3. What factors can cause the interior temperature of a solar collector to fluctuate?

There are several factors that can cause the interior temperature of a solar collector to fluctuate. These include the angle and position of the collector in relation to the sun, the amount of sunlight and cloud cover, and the type and quality of materials used in the collector.

4. How do collectors maintain a consistent interior temperature?

Solar collectors are designed with insulation and reflective surfaces to help maintain a consistent interior temperature. They also have a heat transfer fluid, such as water or antifreeze, that circulates through the collector and absorbs the heat from the sun's rays, keeping the interior temperature stable.

5. Can the interior temperature of a solar collector be controlled?

Yes, the interior temperature of a solar collector can be controlled through various methods. Some collectors have manual or automatic tracking systems to adjust the angle and position of the collector to optimize sunlight absorption. Additionally, some collectors have temperature sensors and control systems to regulate the flow of the heat transfer fluid and maintain a desired temperature range.