Intermediary projects in Python (Biophysics)

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student seeking ideas for a Python project. They are interested in creating a library with modules, classes, and the unittest module. They would like to incorporate web scraping, data analysis/visualization, and biophysics simulations. Some ideas they have considered include a stockpicker tool, a game like Snake, or a simulation in genetics/bioinformatics. They have around one month to complete the project and have been directed to a potential source of inspiration on the NCBI website.
LionCereals98
TL;DR Summary
I am an Undergrad looking for ideas for an intermediary project in Python, which must contain classes, modules and testing. Preferably something where one obtains data from a large dataset, and then proceeds to try to get ´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´some information out of the data
Hello,

I am an Undergraduate student looking for ideas for a project in Python. The project should contain a library filled with modules, classes (and preferably something with inheritance), and the unittest module.
I would like to do something as follows: First, some kind ob WebScraping to obtain data, then analyze/visualize the data. At the same time, I would like to simulate something in Biophysics, like Brownian particle mouvement, however I feel like there I might lack the retrieval of data in the first place. Ideas that I have thought of so far was to build either a Stockpicker tool, which compares interest rates based on a random walk with stock data retrieved from some webpage, say YahooFinance. Or, do something completely different and build a game like Snake. Or, and that's my favorite, simulate something from genetics or bioinformatics. Do you have any idea, resources, whatever? I have around one month to do the project.

Thanks in advance

Technology news on Phys.org

1. What is an intermediary project in Python?

An intermediary project in Python refers to a project that serves as a bridge between the basic concepts of Python and more advanced, specialized applications. It typically involves using Python to solve a specific problem or perform a particular task related to a specific field or subject, such as biophysics. These projects are meant to help students or researchers gain practical experience in using Python for real-world applications.

2. How is Python used in biophysics?

Python is commonly used in biophysics for data analysis, simulation, and visualization. Its powerful libraries, such as NumPy and SciPy, make it ideal for handling large datasets and performing complex calculations. Python can also be used for molecular dynamics simulations, protein structure prediction, and other computational tasks in biophysics.

3. What are some examples of intermediary projects in Python for biophysics?

Some examples of intermediary projects in Python for biophysics include analyzing protein structures, predicting protein-ligand binding affinities, and simulating protein folding using molecular dynamics. Other examples may involve analyzing gene expression data or using machine learning techniques to classify different types of cells based on gene expression patterns.

4. Do I need prior knowledge of biophysics to work on an intermediary project in Python?

While some knowledge of biophysics may be helpful, it is not always necessary to have prior knowledge in order to work on an intermediary project in Python. These projects are designed to help students or researchers gain practical experience in using Python, so they often provide step-by-step instructions and resources to guide individuals through the project. However, a basic understanding of programming concepts and the Python language is recommended.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about intermediary projects in Python for biophysics?

Yes, there are several online resources available for learning about intermediary projects in Python for biophysics. Some popular websites include GitHub, Codecademy, and DataCamp, which offer a variety of tutorials, courses, and projects related to Python and biophysics. Additionally, many universities and research institutions may also offer online resources or courses on intermediary projects in Python for biophysics.