Internal and external forces in momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of momentum conservation and its application in different scenarios. It is explained that momentum is conserved when there are no external forces acting on the system or when the net external force is equal to zero. Examples are provided, such as a ball being hit by a bat and an object moving on a surface with friction, to illustrate this concept. The conversation also touches on the idea of considering the entire system and the different types of forces involved, such as contact forces and friction. Ultimately, it is emphasized that the correct identification of the system boundaries is crucial in determining whether momentum is conserved in a given situation.
Biker

Homework Statement

A question came to my miind:
Wouldn't everything be conserved?
I know that the law of momentum conservation only applies when the system doesn't have any external forces or the net of them is equal to 0.

Lets just say that someone hits the ball with a bat, He applies a force to the ball and the same happens to the bat ( Newton third law). So the momentum is conserved.

An object is moving on a surface that has friction, The surface tries to stop the object and the same happens to the surface. So the momentum is conserved.

An object is flying at a speed of v. The air tries to resist its motion with a force and the object also pushes air molecules with a force f. So Is the momentum conserved? ( I guess)
When do we actually say that the momentum changed? what am I missing here? Should I exclude the air and friction from my system and just consider the object is my system then it is appropriate to say that the momentum changed? but if I take as a whole then I should say that the momentum is conserved?

Homework Equations

P = mv
F * t = m dv
F = -fIt would be great if you can provide some examples so I can figure it out. Also point out stuff don't directly go the the final point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum of your system can change if there are external forces. If you make the system large enough to include all sources of (previously) external forces, then momentum is always conserved, sure. You rarely want to care about the motion of Earth if you study cars moving on a street, however.

It is stunning to think that we actually move the Earth :D.

Another thing if you don't mind, When two object collides is friction the contact force between them? Or it can be some other form of forces?
Like if a person with a speed jumps on top of a object then the object would move because of friction. but what about two balls colliding with each other.

The forces that lead to deformation (balls, cars, ... doesn't matter) are not called friction, but internally there can still be some friction during this deformation process.

If you draw the right system boundaries both momentum and energy are conserved. It's not always easy to account for all of the energy transformations so frequently you find you can only use conservation of momentum to solve problems.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity. It is commonly referred to as the "quantity of motion" and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What are internal forces in momentum?

Internal forces in momentum refer to the forces that act within a system, such as collisions between objects or interactions between particles within an object. These forces do not change the overall momentum of the system, but rather redistribute it among the objects within the system.

3. What are external forces in momentum?

External forces in momentum refer to forces that act on a system from outside of it, such as gravity, friction, or applied forces. These forces can change the overall momentum of a system if they are unbalanced, meaning the net force is not equal to zero.

4. How do internal and external forces affect momentum?

Internal forces do not change the overall momentum of a system, but can redistribute the momentum among the objects within the system. External forces can change the overall momentum of a system if they are unbalanced, causing a change in the system's velocity or direction of motion.

5. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system where there are no external forces acting, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after. In other words, momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.