Internal combustion engine calculation questions

In summary, the poster has been warned to use the Homework Help Template and show their work on schoolwork problems.
Fawzi Da
< Mentor Note -- Poster has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template and show their work on schoolwork problems >

Hello everyone I have some questions on engine calculations that I need help in please.

1) A reciprocating internal combustion engine operates on a 4 stroke cycle. If the engine's crankshaft is rotating at 5,985 rev/min, calculate the number of engine cycles completed every second

(note that I tried 5985/60 and that gave me a wrong answer)

2) An engine has a crank radius of 41mm. If the engine's crankshaft is rotating at 2131 rev/min the calculate the mean piston speed (m/s)

3) For an engine:
-Operating at speed of 2151 rev/min
-Having a crank radius of 41 mm
-Having a connect a connecting rod length of 136 mm
When the crankshaft has rotated 84 degrees from top dead centre, calculate the velocity of the piston, u (m/s), in the x-axis direction.

(why isn't the velocity 0 m/s since the piston only move in the y axis?)

4) An engine has the following geometry:
-A bore of 75 mm
-A stroke of 70 mm
-A ratio of connecting rod length to crank radius of of 3.8 m/m
Calculate the rate of change of volume (m^3 / rad) when the crankshaft has rotated -30 degrees from top dead centre

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fawzi Da said:
1) A reciprocating internal combustion engine operates on a 4 stroke cycle. If the engine's crankshaft is rotating at 5,985 rev/min, calculate the number of engine cycles completed every second

(note that I tried 5985/60 and that gave me a wrong answer)

You calculated the number of engine revolutions per second. The question asked for the number of cycles per second. Look up how a 4 stroke works and find out how many revolutions there are per cycle. It's not 4.

Fawzi Da said:
(why isn't the velocity 0 m/s since the piston only move in the y axis?)

Perhaps its flat 4 or V8 ? Is there a diagram to go with the question? Otherwise how do you know which is the x and y axis?

CWatters said:
You calculated the number of engine revolutions per second. The question asked for the number of cycles per second. Look up how a 4 stroke works and find out how many revolutions there are per cycle. It's not 4.
I thought about it. I believe the correct answer is RPM/4/60 to get cycles per second.

May I ask help for the other questions as well?

It's not 4.

CWatters said:
It's not 4.
Sorry sorry I meant RPM/2/60

That's better :-).
1 cycle = 2 revolutions = 4 strokes

CWatters said:
That's better :-).
1 cycle = 2 revolutions = 4 strokes
Thanks :) can you please provide me with help for the other questions please?

Fawzi Da said:
Thanks :) can you please provide me with help for the other questions please?
You were warned in your previous thread (now deleted) to show your work and post using the Homework Help Template. You re-posted your questions and only showed a small amount of work on some of them. That is not acceptable here.

Post one question per schoolwork thread, and use the Homework Help Template that you are provided to show your work on the problem. This thread is closed.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the internal combustion engine?

The purpose of calculating the internal combustion engine is to determine its performance and efficiency. This includes factors such as power output, fuel consumption, and emissions.

2. What are the main components involved in the internal combustion engine calculation?

The main components involved in internal combustion engine calculation include the engine geometry, fuel properties, combustion process, and thermodynamic cycles.

3. How are the calculations for engine power and torque determined?

The calculations for engine power and torque are determined by measuring the engine's rotational speed and torque output. This data is then used to calculate the engine's power output using the formula P = 2πNT/60, where P is power, N is engine speed in revolutions per minute, and T is torque.

4. What is the role of compression ratio in internal combustion engine calculation?

The compression ratio is an important factor in internal combustion engine calculation as it determines the efficiency of the engine. A higher compression ratio results in better fuel economy and power output, while a lower compression ratio may lead to knocking and decreased efficiency.

5. How do environmental factors such as temperature and pressure affect internal combustion engine calculation?

Environmental factors, such as temperature and pressure, can affect the performance of an internal combustion engine. Higher temperatures and lower air pressure can result in decreased power output and efficiency due to a decrease in air density, which affects the combustion process in the engine.