Internal energy of an ideal gas -- confusion

In summary: In the case of ideal gas, temperature and pressure are the two intensive properties. So if we expand (or compress) the isotherm at constant temperature, the pressure and volume will change but the temperature will remain the same. This is the state 2 that you mentioned. However, if we expand (or compress) the isotherm at a different temperature, the pressure and volume will change but the temperature will remain the same. This is the state 1 that you mentioned. So the system is in the same state after the process.
misko
We know that internal energy of ideal gas depends only on temperature.
Let's say we have 1 mole of ideal gas with pressure P1, volume V1 and temperature T. Let's call this the state 1. Equation of state for ideal gas applies: PV=RT.

Now if we expand (or compress gas) isothermally, gas will then have different pressure P2, volume V2 while temperature will remain the same. Let's call this the state 2.

Since internal energy is dependent only on temperature it follows that it remained the same after this process, so U(1) = U(2).

My question is now this: is system in the same state or different state after this process? Is state(1) same as state(2)? If internal energy remained the same it means that state also remained the same, right? But how then two states that are same (equivalent, identical) have different state variables like pressure and volume?

This confuses me... Are state functions in thermodynamic a "One-to-one" functions mathematically? Meaning that for one state there is only one value for internal energy.
Or can thermodynamic systems be degenerate, in terms of multiple different states having the same internal energy? (eg. degenerate as in quantum mechanical systems).

Physics news on Phys.org
In the state 1 that you have mentioned, it is in the ideal gas state.In the formula PV is equal to nRT, we are using the universal gas constant. In the state 2, temperature is held constant. So the formula has been revised into P1V1 equals P2V2, this means that the gas changes in pressure and volume but not in temperature. And since the temperature doesn't change, the internal energy would remain as is.

misko said:
This confuses me... Are state functions in thermodynamic a "One-to-one" functions mathematically? Meaning that for one state there is only one value for internal energy.
Or can thermodynamic systems be degenerate, in terms of multiple different states having the same internal energy? (eg. degenerate as in quantum mechanical systems).
As you have figured out, it is the latter that is true. For a given energy, there are actually an infinity of different states (PV products) that will correspond to it. Knowing the energy of an ideal gas is not sufficient information to completely describe its state.

Likes misko
Ok thanks for the clarification.
For some reason I thought that value of the state function uniquely corresponds to one and only one state of the system.

Based on the definition from wikipedia: "state function is a property of a system that depends only on the current equilibrium state of the system" I incorrectly concluded that two different states of the system will always give two different values for some state function (such as internal energy).

So is there some other "state function" that has this one-to-one property? Like, is there some state function X that once we know it's value we can uniquely identify the state of the system for that value?

PS. Sorry for my naive questions, I am struggling to grasp these basic concepts before I go more deeply into thermodynamics.

It takes specification of two intensive properties to determine the state of a single phase system of constant composition.

1. What is internal energy of an ideal gas?

The internal energy of an ideal gas refers to the total energy of all the individual molecules in the gas, including both their kinetic and potential energies.

2. How is the internal energy of an ideal gas different from its temperature?

The internal energy of an ideal gas is a measure of the total energy of the molecules, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules. In other words, internal energy takes into account both kinetic and potential energies, while temperature only considers kinetic energy.

3. Why is the internal energy of an ideal gas often confused with its enthalpy?

The internal energy and enthalpy of an ideal gas are often confused because they are both measures of the total energy of the gas. However, enthalpy also takes into account the energy required to maintain the volume of the gas, while internal energy does not.

4. How is the internal energy of an ideal gas affected by changes in pressure and volume?

According to the ideal gas law, the internal energy of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature. Therefore, changes in pressure and volume, which affect the temperature of the gas, will also affect its internal energy.

5. Can the internal energy of an ideal gas ever be negative?

No, the internal energy of an ideal gas can never be negative because it is a measure of the total energy of the molecules, and energy cannot be negative. However, it is possible for the change in internal energy of an ideal gas to be negative if the gas loses energy through work or heat transfer.