In summary, the conversation discusses solving a homework problem in Statics involving drawing internal force diagrams and finding support reactions. The conversation includes a detailed breakdown of the steps and equations involved in solving for the support reactions and provides tips on how to approach the problem.
hdp12
I'm working on a homework problem for Statics and I'm stuck. Could someone please help?Problem: Draw the internal force (N,V,M) diagrams and include all significant figures
HW5-9_Book7-80.png
Here is all of my work:

Resulting F from W1:
W(x) = W1
∴ F2=∫02b W1dx
eq (1) ⇒ F2 = W1⋅2b​
x1 = (F1)-102b W1dx = 1/(W1⋅2b)⋅(W1/2 ⋅ x2) |02b
eq (2) ⇒ x1 = b;​

SUPPORT REACTIONS DIAGRAM &FBD:​
DIAGRAM:
FBD.png

FBD:
FBD%2B(1).png

SUPPORT REACTIONS VARIABLE SOLUTION:
[+→]∑Fx = 0 : 0 = RAX
eq (3) ⇒ RAX = 0 ;​
[+∧]∑Fy = 0 : 0 = (RAY + RBY + RDY) - (F1 + F2)
eq (4) ⇒ RAY + RBY + RDY = F1 + W1⋅2b;​
[+CW]∑MA = 0 : 0 = (F2⋅b + F1(2b + a)) - (RBY⋅b + RDY(2b+2a))
→RBY⋅b + RDY(2b+2a) = W1⋅2b⋅b + F1(2b + a)
eq (5) ⇒ RBY⋅b + RDY(2b+2a) = 2⋅W1⋅b2 + F1(2b + a) ;​
[+CW]∑MB = 0 : 0 = (RAY⋅b + F1(b+a)) - RDY(b+2a)
eq (6) ⇒ RDY(b+2a) = RAY⋅b + F1(b+a) ;​
[+CCW]∑MB = 0 : 0 = (F1⋅a + F2(2a+b)) - (RBY(2a+b)+RAY(2b+2a))
eq (7) ⇒ RBY(2a+b)+RAY(2b+2a) = F1⋅a + F2(2a+b) ;​

SEPARATE FBDs:
I:
FBD%2B(2).png
II:
FBD2.png

Separating the system at the hinge (C) will allow us to solve for the support reactions: In Figure 1, we can solve for the support reactions in the separate part, and therefore solve for the support reactions in the whole beam.

[+CW]∑MB = 0 : 0 = RAY⋅b
eq (8) ⇒ RAY = 0 ;​
[+∧]ΣFy = 0 : 0 = RAY + RBY - F2
eq (9) ⇒ RBY = F2

So now, using eq's (8) & (9) in eq (4) we can determine RDY
eq (4) : RAY + RBY + RDY = F1 + W1⋅2b
→F2 + RDY = F1 + W1⋅2b
→ RDY = F1 + W1⋅2b - W1⋅2b
eq (10) ⇒ RDY = F1

(9) > (5) : F2⋅b + RDY(2b+2a) = 2⋅W1⋅b2 + F1(2b + a)
→ RDY(2b+2a) = 2⋅W1⋅b2 + F1(2b + a) - (W1⋅2b)⋅b
→ RDY= 1/(2b+2a)[F1(2b + a) + 2⋅W1⋅b2 - (W1⋅2b)⋅b]
→ RDY= F1(2b + a)/(2b+2a)I'm just super lost, I guess, on where to go and if I'm even starting in the right direction... could someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you are intpreting W1 correctly? You are taking it as the weight per unit length. From the info in the OP, it could just as easily be the total weight (your F2).
Your first eqn for x1 has some typos, but it worked out ok.
When you considered the hinged parts separately, you overlooked that there may be a force at C between the two parts. Your eqn 10 is clearly wrong if you consider moments about C.

haruspex said:
Are you sure you are intpreting W1 correctly? You are taking it as the weight per unit length. From the info in the OP, it could just as easily be the total weight (your F2).
Your first eqn for x1 has some typos, but it worked out ok.
When you considered the hinged parts separately, you overlooked that there may be a force at C between the two parts. Your eqn 10 is clearly wrong if you consider moments about C.
Yes W1's units are Force/Distance.
what are the typos for x1, just so I know?
and
hdp12 said:
[+CCW]ΣMC = 0 : 0 = (F1⋅a + F2(2a+b)) - (RBY(2a+b)+RAY(2b+2a))
eq (7) ⇒ RBY(2a+b)+RAY(2b+2a) = F1⋅a + F2(2a+b) ;
is supposed to be Sum of Moments at C, so considering, what do I do with this information?

hdp12 said:
what are the typos for x1, just so I know?
hdp12 said:
##x_1 = (F_1)^{-1}\int _0^{2b} W_1dx##
Shouldn't that be ##x_1 = (F_2)^{-1}\int _0^{2b} W_1x.dx##?
hdp12 said:
[+CCW]ΣMC = 0 : 0 = (F1⋅a + F2(2a+b)) - (RBY(2a+b)+RAY(2b+2a))
is supposed to be Sum of Moments at C
Looks like moments about D to me.

The key to getting the reaction forces in this problem is recognizing that the bending moment at point C is zero. I think that you noted this, but you still got the wrong values for the reaction forces.

If I do a moment balance on the portion of the beam to the right of C by taking moments about the hinge at point C, I get:
$$2aR_D-aF_1 = 0$$
This yields ##R_D=F_1/2##

Now, what do you get if you do the same kind of thing for the portion of the beam to the left of point C?

(I get ##R_A=-F_1/2## and ##R_B=2W_1b+F_1##)

Chet

Last edited:
okay so using your logic...
[+CW]ΣMC = 0 : 0 = F1a - 2a⋅RDY
→RDY = (2a)-1(F1a)
⇒ RDY = F1/2
then plugging this solution for RDY into eq (5) I get:
RBY = 1/b (2⋅W1⋅b2 + F1(2b+a)-RDY(2b+2a))
→RBY = (2⋅W1⋅b2)/b + F1⋅(2b+a)/b - F1/2⋅(2b+2a)/b
→RBY = 2⋅W1⋅b + F1⋅(2+a/b) - F1⋅(1+a/b)
⇒RBY = 2⋅W1⋅b + F1

then plugging this solution for RBY into eq (4) I get:
RAY = F1 + 2bW1 - RBY - RDY
→RAY = F1 + 2bW1 - (2bW1 + F1) - (F1/2)
⇒RAY = - F1/2
Now that I have the support reactions, I should be able to determine the Internal Force equations and create a diagram from that information.

What is the best strategy to go about this?

I don't know what the best strategy is. I would start at the left and work my to the right, first getting the V's, and then starting at the left again and getting the M's.

Chet

Related to Internal Force Diagram for Rigid Body and Distributed Load

1. What is an internal force diagram for a rigid body and distributed load?

An internal force diagram for a rigid body and distributed load is a graphical representation of the internal forces acting within a rigid body that is subjected to a distributed load, such as a beam or truss. It shows the magnitude, direction, and location of the internal forces, including shear and bending moments, that are present within the structure.

2. How is an internal force diagram different from an external force diagram?

An internal force diagram shows the internal forces within a structure, while an external force diagram shows the external forces acting on the structure. Internal forces are reactions to external forces and are essential in determining the structural integrity of a rigid body.

3. What is the purpose of an internal force diagram?

The purpose of an internal force diagram is to analyze the internal forces that act within a rigid body and how they affect the structural stability and strength of the body. It is a crucial step in designing and evaluating the performance of structures subjected to distributed loads.

4. How is a distributed load represented in an internal force diagram?

A distributed load is represented as a series of arrows along the length of the structure in an internal force diagram. The length of the arrows represents the magnitude of the distributed load, and the direction of the arrows indicates the direction in which the load is acting.

5. What are the key assumptions made in constructing an internal force diagram for a rigid body and distributed load?

The key assumptions made in constructing an internal force diagram are that the rigid body is in equilibrium, the material is homogeneous and isotropic, and the internal forces are symmetric and follow the principle of superposition. Additionally, the distributed load is assumed to be acting uniformly along the structure, and the structure is considered to be rigid and not deforming under the applied load.