Internal resistence: chicken and egg misconcpetion

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit with a battery and internal resistance. The equations V=IR and EMF-Ir=V are used to explain how changes in current and voltage affect each other. It is clarified that the current in the battery is not the same as the current in the circuit, and that the electric field in ideal conductors is zero. The final conclusion is that the current in the circuit is determined by the total resistance, which is the sum of the internal and external resistances.
davidbenari
I feel like have a chicken and egg type of problem regarding internal resistences because of the following problem:

The voltage across a battery with internal resistence is given by the equation
EMF-Ir=V
Given the voltage across the battery then the voltage in the circuit is
V=IR

So, if I have more current then my voltage decreases, if I have less voltage then my current decrease because of V=IR.

So what's happening here?

If I have an increase in current, then it immediately drops?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
EMF-Ir=V
V=IR
... given the voltage across the battery (which is, properly, the voltage across the load) - but the voltage across the battery depends on the size of the load. The fact the voltage is "given" means some earlier steps have already been completed.

To treat the circuit properly, you need to know the EMF and internal resistance. Given those, you can work out the current in the circuit and, thus the voltage dropped across the load.

So, if I have more current then my voltage decreases, if I have less voltage then my current decrease because of V=IR.

Correct.

If the load draws more current the battery terminal voltage V decreases due to the internal resistance of the battery.

If the battery terminal voltage V decreases then the current flowing in the load will decrease due to Ohms law (assuming the load obeys ohms law)..

These aren't inconsistent. You can plot a graph of I vs V for both of the above. Where the lines cross will be a valid solution to both.

The I in the battery is not the same I across the circuit.

davidbenari said:
So what's happening here?

If I have an increase in current, then it immediately drops?

Thanks.
Not at all. As you lower the resistance of the load, the current will increase until an equilibrium situation is reached. Nothing has to drop back down again because it will not 'overshoot'. (Unless you include reactive elements in your circuit; but let's sort out the straightforward case first).

xAxis said:
The I in the battery is not the same I across the circuit.

I think you will find it is.

I'm going to be irrelevant here, but in a circuit, if we assume a constant current, then the electric field inside the ideal conductors (not the resistors) is zero right? Otherwise charges would accelerate.

Thanks.

davidbenari said:
I'm going to be irrelevant here, but in a circuit, if we assume a constant current, then the electric field inside the ideal conductors (not the resistors) is zero right?
Right. That's what makes them ideal.

Otherwise charges would accelerate.
Yes, but it's more helpful to consider that if the electric field is not zero then there must be some potential difference between the two ends of the conductor, therefore some non-zero resistance... And then it's not an ideal conductor.

davidbenari said:
I'm going to be irrelevant here, but in a circuit, if we assume a constant current, then the electric field inside the ideal conductors (not the resistors) is zero right? Otherwise charges would accelerate.

Thanks.
You are describing what can happen in a beam of electrons. But that isn't a metal conductor.

If there is no change in potential then no work is done and no acceleration. This is all very basic stuff but it does need thinking about from time to time, to avoid reaching some strange conclusions about the nature of things.

davidbenari said:
EMF-Ir=V
V=IR
Combine the two equations:
EMF - I r = I R
EMF = I (R+r)

There is nothing surprising or "chicken and egg" here. The current is simply determined by the total resistance, which is the sum of the internal and external resistances. The open circuit voltage is equal to the EMF, and the short circuit current is equal to EMF/r.

Related to Internal resistence: chicken and egg misconcpetion

1. What is internal resistance in the context of the chicken and egg misconception?

Internal resistance refers to the idea that there is a circular causality between the chicken and the egg, where it is unclear which one came first. It is often used to describe situations where the cause and effect are difficult to determine.

2. Can you give an example of internal resistance in the scientific world?

One example of internal resistance in science is the debate about whether the brain or the mind came first in the evolution of human beings. Some argue that the brain evolved first, allowing for the development of the mind, while others believe that the mind existed first and shaped the evolution of the brain.

3. How does internal resistance impact scientific research?

Internal resistance can make it challenging for scientists to determine the true cause and effect in their experiments. It can also lead to conflicting theories and debates within the scientific community, which can slow down progress and understanding in a particular field of study.

4. Is it possible to resolve the chicken and egg misconception?

While it may be difficult to definitively resolve the chicken and egg misconception, scientists can use evidence and logical reasoning to support one theory over the other. As more research is conducted and new technologies are developed, our understanding of complex systems may improve, potentially shedding light on this concept.

5. How can we apply the concept of internal resistance in our daily lives?

The concept of internal resistance can be applied in various contexts, such as relationships, decision making, and problem-solving. It reminds us to consider all factors and potential causes in a situation, rather than assuming a linear cause and effect. By acknowledging internal resistance, we can approach problems and situations with a more open and critical mindset.