Internship in nuclear engineering for a foreign student

In summary, the conversation discusses a French student in nuclear engineering seeking an internship in an English-speaking country. The student has a strong academic background and is interested in companies like Areva and NextEra Energy. However, due to the competitive job market and the requirement for security clearance, it may be difficult for the student to secure an internship or job in the United States. The conversation ends with suggestions for specific companies to apply to and well wishes for the student's search.
Tommy.E
Hi !

I am a French student in nuclear engineering, I will complete my master degree next year and between February 2013 and July (or August) 2013 I will have to do an internship to practise all I have learnt.
I will have studied nuclear technology, reactor physics, thermal hydraulics (simple and two phase), safety and reliability of systems, neutronics, materials, computer simulation and knowledges in marketing, management, financial management.

I am looking for an internship in an English-speaking country such as USA, UK or Canada. I have visited lot of company's website and I always need to have the right to work in the country to apply. But to have the right to work, I need a job.
I have also seen that the majority of the offers are for co-op or college internship, or even for bachelor's degree.

French higher education is really different and I wish to know if it is possible to do that kind of internship and how I can do it. If you have some advice, it would be fantastic !

Tommy

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, it's hard enough for US students to land internships in their own country...especially in a field like nuclear engineering which has had a huge increase (on the order of 3 fold) in the number students in recent years. There is a lot of competition for those internships and entry level jobs. What's worse is that outside of the power industry nuclear jobs almost always require a security clearance, and since you aren't a citizen, you can't get one.

Those power companies are looking for future employees to fill their internships, they may overlook you because being from another country, you are less likely (in their eyes) to be a future full-time employee.

If you have excellent English skills you might be useful to a company like Areva who has N. American operations. Perhaps you could get over here by applying through a French company back home.

Check with NextEra Energy.

Their Turkey Point plant is located 30 miles south of Miami and they have trouble attracting people to South Florida because of "Urban Sprawl" and all it brings.

If you go there you'd want to live in The Redlands or The Keys. Miami Springs if you don't mind an hour commute through awful traffic..

Your credentials coupled with a few years operations experience would be awesome.

old jim

Hello Tommy,

Thank you for your interest in pursuing an internship in nuclear engineering in an English-speaking country. It is great to see that you have a strong background in various aspects of nuclear engineering and have also acquired knowledge in related fields such as marketing, management, and financial management.

In regards to your concern about needing the right to work in a country in order to apply for an internship, I would suggest looking into obtaining a work visa or a student visa that allows for internships. You can also reach out to the companies that you are interested in and inquire about their policies regarding internships for foreign students. They may have specific guidelines or programs in place for international interns.

Additionally, I would recommend networking with professionals in the nuclear engineering field and attending industry events or conferences where you can make connections and learn about potential internship opportunities. You can also reach out to your university's career services department for assistance in finding internships abroad.

I wish you the best of luck in your search for an internship and hope that you are able to gain valuable experience in the field of nuclear engineering. Keep pursuing your passion and don't hesitate to ask for advice or guidance along the way. Best of luck to you!

1. What are the eligibility requirements to apply for an internship in nuclear engineering for a foreign student?

The eligibility requirements for an internship in nuclear engineering for a foreign student may vary depending on the specific program or institution. However, in general, students should have a strong academic background in engineering or a related field, a good understanding of nuclear technology and its applications, and proficiency in the language of instruction. Some programs may also require students to have previous internship or research experience.

2. How can I find internships in nuclear engineering for foreign students?

There are several ways to find internships in nuclear engineering for foreign students. One option is to check with your university's career center or engineering department for any available opportunities. You can also search online for internships offered by government agencies, research institutions, or private companies. Another option is to attend career fairs or networking events related to nuclear engineering.

3. What can I expect to learn during an internship in nuclear engineering?

An internship in nuclear engineering can provide students with valuable hands-on experience in the field. Depending on the program, students may have the opportunity to work on real-world projects, conduct experiments, or assist with research. They may also gain practical skills in areas such as nuclear reactor design, radiation safety, and data analysis. Additionally, internships can provide insight into the day-to-day operations of a nuclear engineering facility and the industry as a whole.

4. Are internships in nuclear engineering paid?

Many internships in nuclear engineering are paid, but this may vary depending on the program or institution. Some internships may offer a stipend or hourly wage, while others may provide academic credit or a combination of both. It is important to research and inquire about the compensation and benefits offered for a specific internship opportunity.

5. How can I make the most out of my internship in nuclear engineering as a foreign student?

To make the most out of your internship in nuclear engineering, it is important to be proactive and take advantage of the opportunities presented. This may include asking questions, seeking feedback, and actively participating in projects and discussions. It can also be beneficial to network with professionals in the field and make connections for potential future opportunities. Lastly, keeping a journal or portfolio of your experiences and accomplishments can be helpful for future job applications or graduate school applications.