BS in Nuclear Medicine or Nuclear Technology --> MS in Nuclear Engineering?

• Thread starter Binura Chathumina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    #physics
Binura Chathumina
TL;DR Summary: If Someone has a Bachelor's degree specialized in Nuclear Medicine OR Nuclear Technology, Can They Do Nuclear Engineering as their Masters? 🤔

There are several children who have done that in Sri Lanka. They now live in countries like Korea and Austria. Would it be difficult for someone with a degree like this to get a fully funded scholarship for a masters degree in nuclear engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually an engineering MSc requires an engineering undergraduate degree, or at least a pretty strong physics background. A degree in "nuclear medicine" can have quite a varied meaning, which may or may not include the necessary background coursework to prepare you for a nuclear engineering graduate studies.

That said, I don't have any experience with the Sri Lankan education system. If you're interested in those programs, look up where their graduates have gone. If there is in fact evidence that graduates are getting into the nuclear engineering programs that you're interested in, then go for it.

• Care
Likes Vanadium 50, DeBangis21 and Binura Chathumina
There is no direct bachelor's degree in nuclear medicine in Sri Lanka. We can do nuclear medicine only if we get a degree in biological science or physical science. In the first years of those degrees, nuclear science has to be studied as a core course. After that if its GPA is more than 3 we can choose nuclear medicine or nuclear technology for special (Honors)degree. This is only in University Of Colombo. The nuclear engineers who have gone to A/levels are those who have studied the stream of physics and passed the physics degree at the university. Through that, they specialized in Nuclear Medicine/Nuclear Technology degree and studied Nuclear Engineering as a Masters. I doubted whether I would be allowed to do so. That's why I asked about this and posted a thread.

Binura Chathumina said:
There is no direct bachelor's degree in nuclear medicine in Sri Lanka. We can do nuclear medicine only if we get a degree in biological science or physical science. In the first years of those degrees, nuclear science has to be studied as a core course. After that if its GPA is more than 3 we can choose nuclear medicine or nuclear technology for special (Honors)degree. This is only in University Of Colombo. The nuclear engineers who have gone to A/levels are those who have studied the stream of physics and passed the physics degree at the university. Through that, they specialized in Nuclear Medicine/Nuclear Technology degree and studied Nuclear Engineering as a Masters. I doubted whether I would be allowed to do so. That's why I asked about this and posted a thread.
<<Emphasis added>>

Please clarify your situation. Are you getting a non-physics degree? If so, what major? Why didn't you pursue physics, if that's the route to what you want?

Binura Chathumina said:
Would it be difficult for someone with a degree like this to get a fully funded scholarship for a masters degree in nuclear engineering?
In which country? The US? If so you should be aware that funding at the master's level is rare, especially for course based/industry focused professional programs. It may be possible to find some research thesis-based master's that provide some level of funding but it's unlikely even then for it to be "fully funded".

Binura Chathumina said:
If Someone has a Bachelor's degree specialized in Nuclear Medicine OR Nuclear Technology, Can They Do Nuclear Engineering as their Masters?
That would depend on whether or not the coursework taken as part of the degree provides sufficient preparation for a master's degree in Engineering. You should look up the admissions requirements for some target programs you would potentially be interested in applying to and see what they require.