Internships: How do I beat the computer?

In summary, you should attend career fairs, contact individual people at companies or institutions where you'd like to work, and try to go to a conference or convention.
blieveucanfly
Hi! I've reached my 3rd year of undergrad in ME and I've reached that point where I'm applying for just about any internship that is a) paid and b ) mentions an engineering degree. I am at a happy point where I honestly don't care what the work is, as long as its a job that applies mechanical engineering principles. The idea is for me to explore the careers available with the degree.. right?

Anyway, I've noticed that seemingly EVERYONE uses a computer-automated resume parsing utility that basically stores all of your info and then gives you the finger. My question is two-fold: How do I increase my odds of beating the resume-software gateway, and how do I find out who to actually talk to? I'm not afraid to make a phone call or 10 if it could land me a job, but companies (rightly, I suppose) hide their HR department contact information.

I've tried to revise my resume with each submission in order to match my skills summary to the skills desired in the posting (truthfully of course. I simply change the verbs or mention experience I didn't consider important before) in order to catch as many keywords as possible.

So, what am I supposed to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
blieveucanfly said:
Hi! I've reached my 3rd year of undergrad in ME and I've reached that point where I'm applying for just about any internship that is a) paid and b ) mentions an engineering degree. I am at a happy point where I honestly don't care what the work is, as long as its a job that applies mechanical engineering principles. The idea is for me to explore the careers available with the degree.. right?

Anyway, I've noticed that seemingly EVERYONE uses a computer-automated resume parsing utility that basically stores all of your info and then gives you the finger. My question is two-fold: How do I increase my odds of beating the resume-software gateway, and how do I find out who to actually talk to? I'm not afraid to make a phone call or 10 if it could land me a job, but companies (rightly, I suppose) hide their HR department contact information.

I've tried to revise my resume with each submission in order to match my skills summary to the skills desired in the posting (truthfully of course. I simply change the verbs or mention experience I didn't consider important before) in order to catch as many keywords as possible.

So, what am I supposed to do?

Attend career fairs... easiest way to get your resume to a human without personal connections.

I second meanrev's suggestion about attending career fairs. I would also add that another place to check into is your school's career centre (most colleges/universities in Canada and the US have them, if I'm not mistaken) or the ME department itself, since there may be people there who may know which employers may be hiring and provide specific contact information. In addition, the career centre may provide sessions giving you tips on how to customize your resume to increase your odds of getting that internship.

Also, in addition to all of the above, I would suggest setting up a profile on LinkedIn if you haven't done so already. In this way, you can put your qualifications out there and have recruiters potentially contact you for internship opportunities.

The only way to win is not to play...

I third the advice about visiting career fairs. But go beyond that. Contact individual people at companies or institutions where you'd like to work. They will mostly ignore you, but not everyone will. I've hired interns who introduced themselves to me via email. Just be sincere and have a coherent story for why you want to work with them, and what you can offer.

LinkedIn is a great way to find individuals at companies (so you can get past the HR drones). Also attend Engineering Society meetings, and try to go to a conference or convention of some kind and don't be afraid to introduce yourself! (they typically have drastically reduced ticket prices for students).

Good luck!

I can understand your frustration with the use of computer-automated resume parsing utilities. These systems are designed to quickly sort through a large number of resumes and identify the most qualified candidates based on specific keywords and criteria set by the company. However, there are a few ways you can increase your chances of beating this system and getting noticed by potential employers.

First, make sure your resume is tailored to each specific job posting. As you mentioned, this means using keywords and skills that are mentioned in the job description. However, it's important to also focus on highlighting your relevant experiences and accomplishments, rather than just changing verbs or adding in unrelated experience. This will make your resume stand out to the hiring manager, even if it doesn't match every single keyword in the automated system.

Secondly, networking is key in the job search process. While it may be difficult to find direct contact information for HR departments, try reaching out to people in your network who may have connections at the companies you are interested in. They may be able to provide you with valuable insights and potentially even refer you to the right person.

Lastly, don't underestimate the power of a well-written cover letter. This is your opportunity to showcase your passion for mechanical engineering and your specific interest in the company. It can also help to explain any gaps or discrepancies in your resume that may be flagged by the automated system.

In addition to these tips, it's important to also continue expanding your skill set and gaining relevant experience through projects, internships, and extracurricular activities. This will not only make you a more attractive candidate to potential employers, but it will also give you a better understanding of the career paths available to you with a mechanical engineering degree.

Overall, it may take some persistence and patience to beat the computer and land your dream internship, but don't give up. Keep refining your resume, networking, and showcasing your passion and skills, and eventually you will find the right opportunity. Good luck!

1. How do internships help me beat the computer?

Internships are a great way to gain hands-on experience in your field of study and apply your knowledge in real-world settings. This experience can make you more competitive in the job market and set you apart from other candidates when it comes to beating the computer and securing a job.

2. What skills do I need to have to beat the computer in an internship?

To beat the computer in an internship, it is important to have a strong foundation in your field of study. This includes technical skills, critical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work well in a team. Having a positive attitude, being adaptable, and having good communication skills are also important.

3. How can I make the most out of my internship to beat the computer?

To make the most out of your internship, it is important to be proactive and take on new challenges. Be open to learning new skills and techniques, ask questions, and seek feedback from your supervisor. Take advantage of networking opportunities and build relationships with your colleagues. This will not only help you beat the computer, but also set you up for success in your future career.

4. How can I use my internship experience to beat the computer in future job interviews?

Your internship experience can be a valuable asset in future job interviews. Be sure to highlight the skills and knowledge you gained during your internship and how you applied them in real-world situations. Share specific examples and accomplishments to demonstrate your abilities and make yourself stand out from other candidates.

5. What should I do if I feel like I am not beating the computer in my internship?

If you feel like you are struggling to beat the computer in your internship, don't be discouraged. Remember that internships are a learning experience and it is okay to make mistakes. Talk to your supervisor or mentor and ask for their guidance and feedback. Be open to constructive criticism and use it as an opportunity to improve and grow. Keep a positive attitude and continue to work hard, and you will eventually see progress and success in beating the computer.