Internships in Physics for post-undergrads

In summary, the individual is a recent graduate with a BS in Physics who is undecided on their graduate studies and may wait up to a year before enrolling. They are interested in quantum information and plasma physics and are looking for internships or fellowships to pursue in the meantime. They have found internships in quantum information by emailing professors and are not located in the US, making some internship options irrelevant.
BH Wiz
I have recently graduated with a BS in Physics and have not decided what field to pursue in my graduate studies and may wait a couple of months (up to a year) until I enroll.
I am mostly interested in Quantum Information (both software and hardware-wise) and plasma physics (fusion).

I was wondering if there are some internships/fellowships I can pursue in the meantime, which I might be eligible for given my current academic status.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
BH Wiz said:
I have recently graduated with a BS in Physics and have not decided what field to pursue in my graduate studies and may wait a couple of months (up to a year) until I enroll.
I am mostly interested in Quantum Information (both software and hardware-wise) and plasma physics (fusion).

I was wondering if there are some internships/fellowships I can pursue in the meantime, which I might be eligible for given my current academic status.

Thank you.

There are many groups in quantum information who might offer (paid) internships. I found mine through emailing professors, including my transcript and resume. Are you in America?

vancouver_water said:
There are many groups in quantum information who might offer (paid) internships. I found mine through emailing professors, including my transcript and resume. Are you in America?
I am not.
I thought about it a while back and i will be sending an email to a professor soon.
Thanks for your reply.

Joshy said:
Some of the undergraduate internships might include recent graduates as well. SULI is a good example of this.

https://science.osti.gov/wdts/suli/Eligibility

The OP indicated that he/she is not in the US. SULI will be irrelevant.

Zz.

What are the requirements for an internship in physics for post-undergrads?

The specific requirements for internships in physics for post-undergrads can vary depending on the company or organization offering the internship. Generally, applicants should have a strong academic background in physics and related fields, as well as relevant skills and experience. Some internships may also have specific GPA requirements or prerequisite coursework. It is important to carefully review the internship description and application requirements before applying.

How do I find internships in physics for post-undergrads?

There are several ways to find internships in physics for post-undergrads. You can search online job boards, such as Indeed or Glassdoor, for physics internships. You can also reach out to your university's career center or physics department to see if they have any resources or connections for internships. Networking with professionals in the field and attending career fairs or conferences can also be helpful in finding internship opportunities.

What can I expect to learn during an internship in physics for post-undergrads?

The specific learning opportunities during an internship in physics for post-undergrads will depend on the company or organization offering the internship. Generally, interns can expect to gain hands-on experience in various aspects of physics, such as experimental design, data analysis, and problem-solving. They may also have the opportunity to work with advanced equipment and technologies, collaborate with professionals in the field, and contribute to ongoing research projects.

Will I be paid for an internship in physics for post-undergrads?

Not all internships in physics for post-undergrads are paid, but many companies do offer compensation for interns. In addition to a salary or hourly wage, some internships may also provide benefits such as housing or transportation stipends. It is important to carefully review the internship description and application process to determine if a position is paid or unpaid.

How can an internship in physics for post-undergrads benefit my future career?

An internship in physics for post-undergrads can provide many benefits for your future career. It can give you real-world experience in the field of physics, which can make you a more competitive candidate for future job opportunities. It can also help you develop important skills, build a professional network, and gain a better understanding of your career interests and goals. Additionally, some internships may lead to full-time job offers or serve as a valuable reference for future job applications.