Interpret results of suspended mass / tension problem please

In summary, the homework statement states that two masses, each 45kg, are sitting on a table top with static friction co. 0.45, kinetic friction co. 0.35. m1 is attached to m2 by a massless wire hung over a frictionless pulley. The attempt at a solution finds that m1 is at rest and that the negative acceleration value arises from assuming the frictional force equals μsN.
Tyrannosaurus_

Homework Statement

Two masses: m1 = 45 kg, m2 = 12kg.
m1 (45kg) sits at rest on a table top with static friction co. 0.45, kinetic friction co. 0.35.
m2 is suspended in the air. m2 is attached to m1 by a massless wire hung over a frictionless pulley

Homework Equations

FBDs, net force equations

The Attempt at a Solution

m1 is at rest, so I'll use the μs = 0.45.
I've attached an image of my solution.

My question is how do I interpret the negative acceleration value? I know it's a vector, but it's not as though the simple mass that is sitting on the table can accelerate, and even pull the 12kg mass even further higher into the air. So, does this mean that the system is at rest and there would be no acceleration because Fg is not greater than the Fk?

Many thanks!
Scan_20150122.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Tyrannosaurus_ said:
m1 is at rest, so I'll use the μs = 0.45.
That only makes sense as far as determining whether the system will remain at rest. If not, you need to switch to kinetic friction to discover the acceleration.
Your working is hard to read. You should only post images for diagrams and textbook extracts. Please take the trouble to type other working in directly. Not only is it easier to read, it's easier to identify sections of working when posting replies.
Tyrannosaurus_ said:
how do I interpret the negative acceleration value?
That probably arises from assuming the frictional force equals μsN. μsN is merely the maximum possible frictional force. In equilibrium, it will usually be less than that.

Likes Tyrannosaurus_
It's too difficult to follow your work, but I think I can deduce the error you made from your answer. You treated m1s as if it were the actual force of friction acting. This is not correct; m1s represents the maximum force that static friction is capable of exerting. The actual force of static friction will only be as much it needs to be to keep the block at rest (unless of course m1s is not large enough, in which case the system will accelerate and only µk will be relevant).

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

I would interpret the results of this suspended mass/tension problem by first looking at the forces acting on the system. From the given information, it appears that the only forces acting on the system are the weight of the two masses (m1 and m2) and the tension in the massless wire.

Using the equations for net force, we can see that the net force on m1 is equal to the weight of m1 minus the frictional force. Since the table is assumed to be stationary, there is no net force on m1 and it remains at rest.

On the other hand, the net force on m2 is equal to the weight of m2 minus the tension in the wire. Since m2 is suspended in the air, there is no contact with any surface and therefore no frictional force. This means that the net force on m2 is equal to its weight, which causes it to accelerate downwards.

The negative acceleration value simply indicates that the direction of motion is downwards, which is consistent with the direction of the net force on m2. This does not mean that the system is at rest, as the acceleration of m2 is causing it to move downwards.

In terms of interpreting the negative acceleration value in relation to the system as a whole, it means that m2 is pulling m1 downwards with a force equal to its weight. This is because the massless wire, being hung over a frictionless pulley, transmits the tension force from m2 to m1 without any loss. Therefore, the system as a whole is in motion due to the acceleration of m2, with m1 being pulled downwards at the same rate.

Related to Interpret results of suspended mass / tension problem please

1. How do I interpret the results of a suspended mass/tension problem?

The results of a suspended mass/tension problem can be interpreted by analyzing the tension forces acting on the system. These tension forces are dependent on the mass of the object, the angle of the suspension, and the acceleration due to gravity. By calculating and comparing the tension forces in different scenarios, you can determine the relationship between the variables and how they affect the equilibrium of the system.

2. What is the significance of the suspended mass/tension problem in scientific research?

The suspended mass/tension problem is a common problem in physics and engineering, and its solution is crucial in understanding the principles of equilibrium and tension. It is also applicable in real-world scenarios, such as analyzing the stability of structures and calculating the tension in cables and ropes.

3. Can the results of a suspended mass/tension problem be applied to different scenarios?

Yes, the principles and equations used to interpret the results of a suspended mass/tension problem can be applied to various scenarios involving tension forces. However, the specific variables and conditions may differ, so it is important to carefully analyze and adapt the equations accordingly.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when interpreting the results of a suspended mass/tension problem?

One common mistake is assuming that the tension force is the same throughout the entire system. In reality, the tension can vary at different points depending on the mass and angle of the suspension. Additionally, not accounting for external forces, such as friction or air resistance, can also lead to inaccurate results.

5. How can I use the results of a suspended mass/tension problem to optimize a design or system?

By understanding the relationship between tension and other variables, you can make informed decisions to optimize the stability and efficiency of a design or system. For example, you may be able to adjust the angle of suspension or the mass of an object to minimize tension and increase stability.