Interpreting CMS and ATLAS results

• I
  • Thread starter Safinaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atlas Cms
In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of results from a paper on the production and decay of the Higgs boson. The paper presents exclusion limits for the process ## \sigma ( pp \to H \to WW^* ) ## and mentions the use of the standard CLs technique. The conversation also touches on the notation used for the decay of one of the W bosons. The graphs in the paper show the direct exclusion limits, with the y-axis representing the cross-section and the solid line indicating the exclusion limit for a given mass.
Safinaz
Hi all,

Any help about interprting the results of ## \sigma(pp \to H) \times BR (H \to WW) ## mentioned in Fig.(12-13) in [arXiv:1509.00389[hep-ex]]?

In that paper [arXiv:1512.06728v3[hep-ph]], page 8, its said that according to these figuers ## \sigma ( pp \to H \to WW^* )\leq 54, 37 fb ##, but I don't undersatnd how can we conclude that ?
also why in this paper they say WW* although the results in the Figs for WW both decay lepotonically ..Cheers,
S.

Physics news on Phys.org
Safinaz said:
In that paper [arXiv:1512.06728v3[hep-ph]], page 8, its said that according to these figuers ## \sigma ( pp \to H \to WW^* )\leq 54, 37 fb ##, but I don't undersatnd how can we conclude that ?
That should be directly the exclusion limit given by ATLAS, read off at 750 GeV. How ATLAS concluded that: standard CLs technique.

also why in this paper they say WW* although the results in the Figs for WW both decay lepotonically ..
The (optional) * is just a reminder that one W is far off-shell.

mfb said:
That should be directly the exclusion limit given by ATLAS, read off at 750 GeV. How ATLAS concluded that: standard CLs technique.

Can't we understand form the figures any informatin ?

I don't understand that question.

I mean as in [arXiv:1512.06728v3[hep-ph]], they say that : they concluded from these fig (12-13) that
## \sigma ( pp \to H \to WW^* )\leq 54, 37 fb ## .. I were asking from the beginning how they reached to this conculution , i.e., how can we interpret the Exp. graphes ?

The referenced graphs directly show the exclusion limits: the y-axis is the cross-section, the solid line is the exclusion limit as function of the mass (x axis). To find the exclusion limit at 750 GeV, look at the y-value of the solid line for x=750 GeV.

1. What is the purpose of interpreting CMS and ATLAS results?

The purpose of interpreting CMS and ATLAS results is to understand the data collected from experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and to make sense of the fundamental particles and interactions within our universe.

2. How are CMS and ATLAS results interpreted?

CMS and ATLAS results are interpreted by comparing the data collected from experiments to theoretical predictions and models, and by performing statistical analyses to determine the significance of any observed effects.

3. What is the role of the scientist in interpreting CMS and ATLAS results?

Scientists play a crucial role in interpreting CMS and ATLAS results by designing experiments, analyzing data, and interpreting the results to make scientific discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.

4. What challenges do scientists face when interpreting CMS and ATLAS results?

Interpreting CMS and ATLAS results can be challenging due to the complexity of the data, the need for advanced statistical analyses, and the possibility of systematic errors or background effects that can obscure the signals of interest.

5. How are CMS and ATLAS results used in the scientific community?

CMS and ATLAS results are used in the scientific community to validate or refine existing theories, to propose new theories, and to guide future experiments and research directions in particle physics and cosmology.