Interpreting negative pressure in pipe fluid flow

However, this pressure is still positive relative to a vacuum, just not as high as the pressure at the entrance.
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

(This is more of a discussion question)
[/B]
My question is, if we have a pipe between two reservoir A and reservoir B (Height of A > height of B) , then if flow in the pipe is to happen from A to B, what sign would the pressure sign be at any point in the pipe?

Homework Equations

Energy Equation:

$$ \frac{P_1}{\gamma}+h_1+\frac{v_1^2}{2g} = \frac{P_2}{\gamma}+h_2+\frac{v_2^2}{2g} + h_f +h_L$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it makes sense that the pressure at any point in the pipe would be negative - because if we analyse the absolute pressures, we have atmospheric pressure pushing down on reservoir A and if the pressure along the pipe is negative, then $$P_{absolute, pipe} < P_{atm}$$ which implies flow from reservoir A to B.

Can someone please provide me with some discussion / their point of view?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The lowest possible absolute pressure is zero, a perfect vacuum. Where no matter is present.
Draw a diagram and apply Pascals law.
All points in the water have higher static pressure than atmospheric.

sakonpure6 said:
Pabsolute,pipe<PatmPabsolute,pipe<Patm​
P_{absolute, pipe} < P_{atm} which implies flow from reservoir A to B.
No it doesn't.

You really haven't provided enough information, sakonpure6. Is the pressure at the entrance to the pipe and at the exit of the pipe atmospheric? Or, where is the outlet from tank A and the inlet from tank B situated?

If the pressure at the entrance of the pipe and exit of the pipe is atmospheric, then, at steady state, the pressure along the length of the pipe is atmospheric.

Hi Chester,

Here is the problem in its entirety and my solution:
http://imgur.com/ojWjvFB

Calculating the discharge,
first apply the energy balance between points 1 and 3 to get:

$$ h_1-h_2 = h_f + h_L$$

From the question we know :
$$ h_{f \, 1 \to 3} = h_{f \, 1 \to 2} + h_{f \, 2 \to 3}=1.5 m + 2.4 m = 3.9 m$$
Also,
$$ h_L = \sum (K) \frac{v^2}{2g}$$
Where the coefficient K is the dimensionless factor. For sudden contraction at entrance, K=0.5 and for sudden expansion at exit K=1.
$$ 5m = \frac{(K_{entrance} + K_{exit} ) \cdot v^2}{2g} + 3.9m$$
$$ v = \sqrt{ \frac{(5-3.9)\cdot 2 \cdot 9.81}{ (0.5+1)}}$$
$$v=3.79m/s$$

As a result,
$$Q=VA=\pi (0.05m)^2/4 \cdot 3.79 m/s = 0.00744 m^3/s = 7.44 L/s$$

Finding the Pressure at Point #2
Apply the energy equation from point 1 to 2 (Datum at point 1) to get:

$$h_1-h_2 = \frac{P_2}{\gamma_{oil}}+v^2/2g+h_f+h_L$$

Similar to above calculations for hf and hL,

$$ -2m = \frac{P_2}{\gamma_w}+\frac{(3.79 m/s)^2}{2 \cdot 9.81 m/s^2} + 1.5m + 0.5 \frac{ (3.79 m/s)^2}{2\cdot 9.81 m/s^2}$$
$$ P_2 = -4.598 m \cdot 820 kg/m^3 \cdot 9.81 m/s^2 \approx -37 kPa$$

So, what do you think about obtaining negative pressure at point 2 ? Did i make a mistake in my calculations?

Thank you.

I haven't checked your math but you should expect a negative gauge pressure at the top of any siphon.
It is still a positive absolute pressure.

Likes CivilSigma
billy_joule said:
I haven't checked your math but you should expect a negative gauge pressure at the top of any siphon.
It is still a positive absolute pressure.

Why would that be the case? I don't really see why it would physically be negative. Could you please explain?

It's only negative relative to the siphon entrance, it's still positive relative to a vacuum.

Pressure increases with increasing depth (ΔP = ρgΔh), the top of the siphon is higher than the entrance so the pressure is lower.

Likes CivilSigma

1. What is negative pressure in pipe fluid flow?

Negative pressure in pipe fluid flow refers to a situation where the pressure in a section of the pipe is lower than the surrounding atmospheric pressure.

2. What causes negative pressure in pipe fluid flow?

Negative pressure can be caused by various factors such as flow velocity, pipe geometry, and fluid properties. It is commonly seen in situations where there is a sudden change in pipe diameter or a sharp bend in the pipe.

3. Is negative pressure in pipe fluid flow dangerous?

Negative pressure in pipe fluid flow can be dangerous as it can lead to pipe collapse or implosion. It can also cause the formation of air pockets or cavitation, which can damage the pipe and affect the flow of the fluid.

4. How can negative pressure in pipe fluid flow be avoided?

To avoid negative pressure in pipe fluid flow, it is important to design the pipe system properly and consider factors such as flow velocity and pipe geometry. Installing anti-cavitation devices or using air release valves can also help prevent negative pressure.

5. How is negative pressure in pipe fluid flow measured?

Negative pressure in pipe fluid flow is measured using a pressure gauge or a vacuum gauge. These instruments can provide a numerical value for the pressure difference between the pipe and the surrounding atmosphere.