Interpreting pie and bar charts

In summary, the conversation discusses various calculations involving percentages and expenses, including the distribution of a pie chart and the rounding of values. There is some confusion about the proportions of certain expenses, but ultimately the conversation highlights the importance of visual inspection in working with pie charts.
BlueKaiza
Homework Statement
I do not have the actual answer, looking for feedback.
Relevant Equations
Formula for converting values into percentages(value/n×100)

Formula for converting a pie char value to a percentage(n/360×100)
Working

a (i) 1/4=×5%

(ii)120/360×100=33.3%

(b)

newspaper=£9000

Leaf=£6500

Transport=£19000

55000-34500=£20500

Tv=16.7%

0.167×55000=£9185 ( answer)

(c)

Tv=16.7%

News=25%

Leaf=15.3%

Other=9.72%

Trans=33.3%(answer)

Note: they were rounded to (3sf)

Attachments

• 20200227_145817.png
    20200227_145817.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 169
Physics news on Phys.org
For (1. i) By visual inspection, NEWS is 1/4 of the pie and hence 25% of 100%

(1/4) * 100 = (0.25) * 100 = 25 --> 25%

For (1. ii) I don't see any amounts for the slices in the problem.

By visual inspection, TRANSPORT + TV = 50% and TRANSPORT = TV + OTHER + LEAF and TRANSPORT + TV + OTHER + LEAF = 75% since NEWS = 25%

Does that help you solve it now? Basically you can't say TRANSPORT is 1/3 of the pie.

Truthfully, I don't like these kinds of problems where you must infer things by visual inspection and sometimes you might get it wrong. You saw 1/3 for TRANSPORT and I saw the TRANSPORT slice is the same size as TV+OTHER+LEAF slices.

However, working with PIE charts alone sometimes needs that visual inspection skill.

What is the purpose of a pie chart?

A pie chart is used to visually represent data as a circular graph, with each "slice" of the pie representing a different category or value. It is typically used to show the proportions of different categories within a data set.

What is the difference between a pie chart and a bar chart?

A pie chart displays data as a circular graph, while a bar chart displays data as rectangular bars. In a pie chart, the size of each slice represents the proportion of that category, while in a bar chart, the height of each bar represents the value of that category. Pie charts are best used for showing proportions, while bar charts are better for comparing values.

How do you interpret a pie chart?

To interpret a pie chart, you should first look at the key or legend to understand what each slice represents. Then, compare the sizes of the slices to determine the proportions of each category. You can also look at the labels or percentages on each slice to get a more precise understanding of the data.

When should you use a pie chart?

Pie charts are best used when you want to show the relative proportions of different categories within a data set. They are also useful for showing a single data set with a few categories, as too many slices can make the chart difficult to read.

What are the limitations of using pie and bar charts?

One limitation of pie and bar charts is that they can only represent categorical or discrete data, not continuous data. Additionally, if there are too many categories or values, the chart can become cluttered and difficult to read. It is also important to ensure that the data is accurately represented in the chart and that the labels and scales are clear and easy to understand.

Back