Interpreting this Statistics question

• Thread starter Biosyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the data presented in Table 1 shows that the fall CBM WIF measures are 0.85 standard deviations below the mean.
Biosyn

Homework Statement

On p. 13, they present and discuss Table 1, summary scores for the test periods. At the bottom of the first column, they say that the "fall CBM WIF is 0.85 standard deviations below the mean." What mean are they referring to? What is the value of the mean?

Homework Equations

None needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the pdf: http://casenex.com/casenex/cecReadings/monitoringEarly.pdf
(Go to page 13 on the paper)

You may have to read several pages to get the context. I would be extremely grateful if someone helped me, I've been stuck wondering what mean they are talking to for an hour already. I thought I was missing something along the way, and I so I've re-read it again and again. The data collectors take a measurement of the fall CBM WIF measures once in fall and once in spring along with other criterion measures. Then they assess the two CBM measures for 20 weeks as well.

I thought that there are two means being referred to in the second column on page 13. The average of the two fall CBM measurements and the two spring CBM measurements.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They tell you on that page:
Means and standard deviations for these scores and for the criterion
variables are shown in Table 1.

-- p13​

... the values in the table are mean and standard deviation.

Would the mean be 10.11 and 29.72?
Fall CBM WIF score: 10.11 - 0.85(9.26)
Spring CBM WIF score: 29.72 - 1.24(19.96)

I only looked long enough to read the description of what the table values were.
From memory, the first part of the table had headings X and SDX or somesuch.
From the text on page 13, I figure the X column is all means and the SDX column is all standard deviations on the X value immediately to it's left.

If your numbers reflect that then the answer is "yes" and if they do not then the answer is "no".

Could it be that you don't know how to use the data in the article?

Related to Interpreting this Statistics question

1. What is the purpose of interpreting a statistics question?

The purpose of interpreting a statistics question is to make sense of the data and information presented, and to draw meaningful conclusions or insights from it. Interpreting a statistics question helps to understand the underlying patterns, relationships, and trends in the data, and to make informed decisions based on the results.

2. How do I interpret a statistics question?

To interpret a statistics question, you should carefully read the question and identify the key variables and data being presented. Then, you should analyze the data using appropriate statistical methods and techniques, such as calculating measures of central tendency, variability, and correlation. Finally, you should interpret the results in the context of the question and draw conclusions based on the evidence.

3. What are some common challenges in interpreting statistics questions?

Some common challenges in interpreting statistics questions include understanding the underlying concepts and theories, choosing appropriate statistical methods and techniques, and interpreting the results accurately and objectively. It is important to have a solid understanding of statistics and to carefully consider the context and limitations of the data when interpreting a statistics question.

4. How can I improve my skills in interpreting statistics questions?

To improve your skills in interpreting statistics questions, you can practice solving a variety of problems and questions, and seek guidance from experts or reputable sources. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in basic statistical concepts and methods, and to stay updated on new developments and techniques in the field. Additionally, actively engaging in discussions and critically evaluating the results can also improve your skills in interpreting statistics questions.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when interpreting statistics questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when interpreting statistics questions include misinterpreting the data or results, using inappropriate statistical methods or techniques, and making biased or unsupported conclusions. It is important to carefully read the question and data, and to use critical thinking and sound judgment when interpreting statistics questions. It is also crucial to acknowledge and address any limitations or potential sources of error in the data or analysis.