Intersection of ideals with subring

In summary, the function f which assigns to an ideal I' of R' the ideal I = I' ∩ R, sends surjectively the prime ideals of R' to the prime ideals of R and the maximal ideals of R' to the maximal ideals of R.
coquelicot
Hello,

Thanks to the help of micromass in a previous thread, I am now able to prove the following theorem (which can be seen as a (somewhat improved) version of the "going up" and "going down" theorems):

If R is an integral domain, and R' is integrally closed over R, then the function f which assigns to an ideal I' of R' the ideal I = I' ∩ R, sends surjectively the prime ideals of R' to the prime ideals of R and the maximal ideals of R' to the maximal ideals of R.

It would be nice if it could be proved that f is a surjection from the set of ideals of R' to the set of ideals of R. But for the moment, I can only see that every ideal I of R is included in a maximal ideal of R'; any ideas for a proof or a counter example ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##R=\mathbb{Z}##, ##R^\prime = \mathbb{Z}_{(2)} = \{a/b\in \mathbb{Q}~\vert~\textrm{gcd}(a,b)=1,~2~\text{does not divide}~b\}## and ##I = 6\mathbb{Z}\subseteq R##.

Then any ideal ##J## of ##R^\prime## which contains ##I## also contains ##2##. So the intersection ##J\cap R## must contain ##2## and can thus not equal ##6\mathbb{Z}##.

Also, the going up/down theorems are a bit more general than what you are stating here. They deal with sequences of prime ideals.

Last edited:
Thanks again Micromass, but in fact, I supposed implicitly that R' contains R, a condition that I have forgotten to write explicitly in my question (sorry). So, your example does not fit with this additional condition.

Following your remark, I will also examine what is exactly the going up and going down theorem.

coquelicot said:
Thanks again Micromass, but in fact, I supposed implicitly that R' contains R, a condition that I have forgotten to write explicitly in my question (sorry). So, your example does not fit with this additional condition.

Following your remark, I will also examine what is exactly the going up and going down theorem.

Sorry, there was a mistake in my post. Check it again please.

Likes 1 person
Simple and nice !

After reconsidering the example, I realized that I have, once more, asked a question different from what I meant. I wrote "R' integrally closed over R", while I actually meant "R' integral over R". I'm really sorry for this mistake, but after all, this is a licit question and micromass found an answer; so, since may be usefull to other persons, I will open a new thread and ask the right question.

1. What is the definition of "intersection of ideals with subring"?

The intersection of ideals with subring is a mathematical concept that refers to the elements that are shared between a subring and an ideal in a ring. It is denoted by the symbol ∩ and is the set of elements that belong to both the subring and the ideal.

2. How is the intersection of ideals with subring related to the properties of a ring?

The intersection of ideals with subring is closely related to the properties of a ring, specifically the distributive and associative properties. This is because the intersection is essentially a combination of both the subring and ideal, and these properties dictate how the elements within the intersection behave.

3. Can the intersection of ideals with subring be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the intersection of ideals with subring to be empty. This occurs when there are no elements that are shared between the subring and the ideal. In other words, the subring and ideal do not have any common elements.

4. How is the intersection of ideals with subring used in algebraic equations?

The intersection of ideals with subring is often used in algebraic equations to simplify calculations and prove theorems. By breaking down a larger equation into smaller subrings and ideals, we can use the intersection to find common elements and simplify the equation.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the intersection of ideals with subring?

Yes, the intersection of ideals with subring has various applications in real-world scenarios. One example is in coding theory, where it is used to generate error-correcting codes. It is also used in cryptography and coding schemes for communication systems.