Intersection of sets with infinite number of elements

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the intersection of an infinite number of sets, each containing an infinite number of elements, is also infinite. A counterexample is presented where the sets {n, n+1, n+2,...} are used, and it is shown that the intersection is null. The notation for this is written as A_n=\{n,n+1,n+2,...\} and \bigcap_{n\in \mathbb{N}}{A_n}=\emptyset. The conversation then poses a question about finding a number that is contained in every set in the intersection.
autre
I have to decide whether the following is true or false:

If A1[itex]\supseteq[/itex]A2[itex]\supseteq[/itex]A3[itex]\supseteq[/itex]...are all sets containing an infinite number of elements, then the intersection of those sets is infinite as well.

I think I found a counterexample but I'm not sure the correct notation. I to have sets {n, n+1, n+2,...} from n to infinity (so {1, 2, 3,...}[itex]\supseteq[/itex]{2,3,4,...}) and the intersection of those sets is obviously null. How do I write this out? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just write it as

[tex]A_n=\{n,n+1,n+2,...\}[/tex]

then

[tex]\bigcap_{n\in \mathbb{N}}{A_n}=\emptyset[/tex]

The intersection of a set of sets is the set of elements contained in every of those sets. What number is contained in every such set? (Hint: assume n is in the intersection, and find a set which does not contain n)

Thanks micromass, that's the notation I was looking for.

Your counterexample is correct. In notation, you can write it as:

A1 = {n, n+1, n+2, ...}
A2 = {n+1, n+2, n+3, ...}
A3 = {n+2, n+3, n+4, ...}

The intersection of these sets would be:
A1 ∩ A2 ∩ A3 = {n+2, n+3, n+4, ...} ∩ {n+1, n+2, n+3, ...} ∩ {n, n+1, n+2, ...}

= {n+2, n+3, n+4, ...} ∩ {n+2, n+3, n+4, ...}

= {n+2, n+3, n+4, ...}

Which is just the set containing elements from n+2 to infinity, and thus has an infinite number of elements. Therefore, the statement "the intersection of sets with an infinite number of elements is also infinite" is false, as your counterexample proves.

1. What is the definition of the intersection of sets with infinite number of elements?

The intersection of sets with infinite number of elements is the collection of all elements that are common to all the sets in the given infinite set. It is denoted by the symbol ∩.

2. Can the intersection of sets with infinite number of elements be an infinite set itself?

Yes, the intersection of sets with infinite number of elements can be an infinite set itself if the given sets have an infinite number of elements in common.

3. How is the intersection of sets with infinite number of elements different from the intersection of finite sets?

The main difference is that the intersection of sets with infinite number of elements can result in an infinite set, while the intersection of finite sets always results in a finite set. Additionally, the intersection of finite sets is always well-defined, while the intersection of sets with infinite number of elements may not have a unique solution.

4. Is it possible for the intersection of sets with infinite number of elements to be an empty set?

Yes, it is possible for the intersection of sets with infinite number of elements to be an empty set if the given sets have no common elements.

5. What are some real-life examples of the intersection of sets with infinite number of elements?

One example could be the intersection of all real numbers and all rational numbers, which would result in the set of all rational numbers. Another example could be the intersection of all even numbers and all prime numbers, which would result in the set of all even prime numbers.