Is the Intersection of Two Subspaces Also a Subspace?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the intersection of two subspaces H and K of a vector space V is also a subspace of V. The participants suggest using specific examples and definitions to validate this idea and approach the problem algebraically. They also mention that understanding how to show a subset is a subspace could help in solving this problem.
forty
Let H and K be subspaces of a vector space V. Prove that the intersection K and H is a subspace of V.

Intuitively I can see that this is true... Both H and K must be closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication so there intersection must also be closed under both those.

How do i prove this mathematically. And is what I've even said correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
forty said:
And is what I've even said correct?
Try some specific examples to get some empirical validation of your conjecture, or to look for a counterexample.

(Gives you time to do this)

Assuming it checks out, we can answer your question by trying to prove it mathematically!

Intuitively I can see that this is true... Both H and K must be closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication so there intersection must also be closed under both those.

How do i prove this mathematically.
Definitions are almost always a very good place to start. And since you're learning linear algebra, it's probably a good idea to try and translate the problem into algebraic statements.

I really have no idea where to begin... how would I write something like that in an algebraic form?

If K was a subset of a vector space V, how would you go about showing that K was a subspace of V? I know that's not the question you're working on, but maybe it will get you thinking in the right way.

Related to Is the Intersection of Two Subspaces Also a Subspace?

1. What is the definition of intersection of subspaces?

The intersection of subspaces is the shared elements between two or more subspaces. This means that it is the set of all vectors that belong to both subspaces.

2. How do you find the intersection of two subspaces?

To find the intersection of two subspaces, you can set up a system of equations using the basis vectors of each subspace. Solving this system will give you the shared elements between the two subspaces.

3. Can the intersection of subspaces be empty?

Yes, the intersection of subspaces can be empty. This means that there are no shared elements between the two subspaces.

4. How does the dimension of the intersection of subspaces relate to the dimensions of the individual subspaces?

The dimension of the intersection of subspaces is always less than or equal to the dimensions of the individual subspaces. This is because the intersection can only contain the shared elements, which is a subset of the elements in each subspace.

5. What are some applications of the intersection of subspaces in real life?

The concept of intersection of subspaces is used in various fields such as linear algebra, computer science, and data analysis. It is particularly useful in solving systems of equations and finding solutions to problems with multiple constraints. In computer science, it is used in areas such as image and signal processing. In data analysis, it is used in dimension reduction and feature selection techniques.