Intersection of two line segments from uniform distribution

In summary, you can randomly generate two line segments and check whether their lengths are close to each other.
Master1022
Homework Statement
Find the probability of two line segment intersecting with each other. The end points of lines are informally sampled from an uniform distribution between 0 and 1.
Relevant Equations
Probability
Hi,

I found this question online and made an attempt and would be keen to see whether I am thinking about it in the right manner?

Question: Find the probability of two line segment intersecting with each other. The end points of lines are informally sampled from an uniform distribution between 0 and 1.

Attempt: I was just thinking of picking the two points for the first line segment. Then I thought about what the expected value of the length of the line segment ##E[|X-Y|]##. After some thinking on a Cartesian plane, I thought it would be ##\frac{1}{3}##. Then I was thinking about how to choose the other two ways such that they don't intersect with that ##\frac{1}{3}##, but I was stuck and don't know how to proceed...

Physics news on Phys.org
Master1022 said:
Homework Statement:: Find the probability of two line segment intersecting with each other. The end points of lines are informally sampled from an uniform distribution between 0 and 1.
Relevant Equations:: Probability

Hi,

I found this question online and made an attempt and would be keen to see whether I am thinking about it in the right manner?

Question: Find the probability of two line segment intersecting with each other. The end points of lines are informally sampled from an uniform distribution between 0 and 1.

Attempt: I was just thinking of picking the two points for the first line segment. Then I thought about what the expected value of the length of the line segment ##E[|X-Y|]##. After some thinking on a Cartesian plane, I thought it would be ##\frac{1}{3}##. Then I was thinking about how to choose the other two ways such that they don't intersect with that ##\frac{1}{3}##, but I was stuck and don't know how to proceed...
The question is not that clear. I think it’s not about 2 lines in the Cartesian plane; it’s about 2 line-segments on a number-line, say the x-axis.

1st random number (0≤x₁≤1) gives the start-point, on x-axis, of 1st line-segment.
2nd random number (0≤x₂≤1) gives end-point, on x-axis, of 1st line-segment.
3rd random number (0≤x₃≤1) gives start-point, on x-axis, of 2nd line-segment.
4th random number (0≤x₄≤1) gives end point, on x-axis, of 2nd line-segment.

If I’m correct, ‘overlapping’ would be a better term than ‘intersecting’.

And ‘informally sampled’ makes no sense. Maybe it should say ‘randomly sampled'.

If that helps!

EDIT. Minor corrections.

Likes Master1022
Hi @Steve4Physics ! Many thanks for your response and apologies for my late reply.

Steve4Physics said:
The question is not that clear. I think it’s not about 2 lines in the Cartesian plane; it’s about 2 line-segments on a number-line, say the x-axis.
Yes, that is correct, I was just using the x-y plane to visualize the calculation of ##E[|X-Y|]##

Steve4Physics said:
1st random number (0≤x₁≤1) gives the start-point, on x-axis, of 1st line-segment.
2nd random number (0≤x₂≤1) gives end-point, on x-axis, of 1st line-segment.
3rd random number (0≤x₃≤1) gives start-point, on x-axis, of 2nd line-segment.
4th random number (0≤x₄≤1) gives end point, on x-axis, of 2nd line-segment.

If I’m correct, ‘overlapping’ would be a better term than ‘intersecting’.
Agree!

Steve4Physics said:
And ‘informally sampled’ makes no sense. Maybe it should say ‘randomly sampled'.
Also agree

Apologies, my wording was unclear (I just copied the problem, when I ought to have made some other edits). I'll keep having a think about it

An idea. Calculate the probability that they do not overlap.

Imagine we draw the first line. The second line must either be before the first line or after. Overall this is equally likely, so we calculate the probability that the second line is before the first line. Then double that.

The second line is before the first one if the higher of the two numbers chosen for that line is less than the lower of the two numbers chosen for the first line.

Likes Steve4Physics and Master1022
PS I got the answer, confirmed by a Python script.

And now that I know the answer I see there is a really easy way to do it, which does not involve probability density functions at all!

• Wow
Likes Master1022
Master1022 said:
One problem with this is that the expected value loses a lot of information about the distribution of line lengths, which looks important. You could get an answer for a typical length of ##1/3## - although that also depends where the line is.

That looks like a dead-end to me.

Seems you can setup two Random Variables## X_1, X_2## ; both uniform on [0,1] and find## P( Min X_2-Max X_1 \geq 0)##. Dont know if the difference of two ( independent, I assume) uniforms is uniform, though. Edit: If ##X_2 ##is ##U[0,1]##, then -##X_2## is ##U[-1,0]##. Then you can do the convolution product ## F_3:=F_1*F_2## for the respective densities and find the probability ##F_3\geq 0##.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Seems you can setup two Random Variables## X_1, X_2## ; both uniform on [0,1] and find## P( Min X_2-Max X_1 \geq 0)##. Dont know if the difference of two ( independent, I assume) uniforms is uniform, though. Edit: If ##X_2 ##is ##U[0,1]##, then -##X_2## is ##U[-1,0]##. Then you can do the convolution product ## F_3:=F_1*F_2## for the respective densities and find the probability ##F_3\geq 0##.
Neither the lower point of one line, nor the higher point of the other line is a uniform distribution. The difference of those certainly can't be uniform. It's much more likely to be a small number.

You can do it by generating the pdf's - that's what I did first - but there is a much easier way.

PeroK said:
Neither the lower point of one line, nor the higher point of the other line is a uniform distribution. The difference of those certainly can't be uniform. It's much more likely to be a small number.

You can do it by generating the pdf's - that's what I did first - but there is a much easier way.
I think you can use the original rvs to compute the probability that the difference is larger than 0, instead of the respective Max and Min.

WWGD said:
I think you can use the original rvs to compute the probability that the difference is larger than 0, instead of the respective Max and Min.
We can all think things. It's whether you can back them up with calculations that matters!

PeroK said:
We can all think things. It's whether you can back them up with calculations that matters!
Do you believe my premises are flawed? Aren't we looking for the probability that the difference is larger or equal to 0? And that the difference distribution is given by the convolution product? I let the OP do part of the work; I don't do the whole exercise for them.

I consider this a question in Mathematics and not in Physics.

How about this...

Two random numbers define one line-segment (LS).
Another two random numbers define the other LS.

List the 4 numbers, smallest to largest: p, q, r and s.

One of the LS’s contains the smallest number, p.
Since the distribution is uniform, this line segment is equally likely to be (p, q) or (p, r) or (p, s).

Can you finish it off from there?

(However, I don't see why the interval is limited to between 0 and 1. So either that's a red-herring or I'm missing some subtle point.)

Likes PeroK
Steve4Physics said:
How about this...

Two random numbers define one line-segment (LS).
Another two random numbers define the other LS.

List the 4 numbers, smallest to largest: p, q, r and s.

One of the LS’s contains the smallest number, p.
Since the distribution is uniform, this line segment is equally likely to be (p, q) or (p, r) or (p, s).

Can you finish it off from there?

(However, I don't see why the interval is limited to between 0 and 1. So either that's a red-herring or I'm missing some subtle point.)
Edit: Brain fart: assume the choice [0,1] matters ( modulo length) because it's easier to avoid each other in segments with larger width. Not correct.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK
WWGD said:
I assume the choice [0,1] matters ( modulo length) because it's easier to avoid each other in segments with larger width.
My Python script says otherwise.

Likes Steve4Physics
WWGD said:
I assume the choice [0,1] matters ( modulo length) because it's easier to avoid each other in segments with larger width.
I can't see why the choice of interval matters. The argument is just the same for any other interval, e.g. [-5, 34.7].

To complete my Post #13 argument...

Arrange the 4 random numbers in order: p, q, r and s.

Consider the line-segment containing the smallest number (p). This line-segment must be (p, q) or (p, r) or (p, s). Since the distribution is uniform, these three possibilities are equally likely.

But only (p, q) avoids overlap. In the other two cases ((p, r) or (p, s)) the line-segments necessarily overlap.

So the probability of two line-segments overlapping is two out of three, i.e. ⅔.

This is totally independent of the interval chosen (but does require a uniform probability distribution over the interval).

Steve4Physics said:
I can't see why the choice of interval matters. The argument is just the same for any other interval, e.g. [-5, 34.7].

To complete my Post #13 argument...

Arrange the 4 random numbers in order: p, q, r and s.

Consider the line-segment containing the smallest number (p). This line-segment must be (p, q) or (p, r) or (p, s). Since the distribution is uniform, these three possibilities are equally likely.

But only (p, q) avoids overlap. In the other two cases ((p, r) or (p, s)) the line-segments necessarily overlap.

So the probability of two line-segments overlapping is two out of three, i.e. ⅔.

This is totally independent of the interval chosen (but does require a uniform probability distribution over the interval).
Ah, you're right, my bad. Brain fart. Let me edit.

PeroK said:
My Python script says otherwise.
Yes, my bad, I just edited. Brain fart.

1. What is the "intersection of two line segments from uniform distribution"?

The intersection of two line segments from uniform distribution refers to the point at which two randomly generated line segments meet or overlap. This is commonly used in statistics and probability to determine the likelihood of two events occurring simultaneously.

2. How is the intersection point calculated for two line segments from uniform distribution?

The intersection point is calculated by finding the point of intersection between the two equations that represent the line segments. This can be done using algebraic methods or by graphing the two line segments and visually determining the point of intersection.

3. What is the significance of the intersection of two line segments from uniform distribution in research?

The intersection of two line segments from uniform distribution is important in research because it allows for the analysis of the probability of two events occurring at the same time. This can be useful in various fields such as economics, genetics, and physics.

4. Can the intersection of two line segments from uniform distribution be used to predict future outcomes?

No, the intersection of two line segments from uniform distribution does not have any predictive power. It simply represents the likelihood of two events occurring simultaneously based on their probabilities. It cannot be used to predict future outcomes.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using the intersection of two line segments from uniform distribution?

Yes, there are some limitations and assumptions when using the intersection of two line segments from uniform distribution. One of the main assumptions is that the line segments are uniformly distributed, meaning that all values within the range have an equal probability of occurring. Additionally, this method may not be applicable in cases where the line segments do not follow a uniform distribution.