Interstellar Movie: Light Reflection on Planet Close to Event Horizon

In summary: near a rotating black hole, the planet would be tidally locked to the black hole, so one hemisphere would always be facing the black hole and the other would be dark.
Benplace
In the movie Interstellar we see a planet close to the event horizon so when the astronauts land and get stuck on the planet for over an hour, many years passes for the guy on the spaceship and when they return he is an old man.
From what I understand, this is indeed what would happen and they consulted with scientists. Correct me if I am wrong.
My question is this. If the guy on the spaceship were to shine a very bright light towards a dark area of the surface of the planet for 30 seconds, being that time is moving much more slowly on the planet, would the light reflect back to him for much longer than he has it on?
Thanks,
Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Benplace said:
If the guy on the spaceship were to shine a very bright light towards a dark area of the surface of the planet for 30 seconds, being that time is moving much more slowly on the planet, would the light reflect back to him for much longer than he has it on?
No.

Benplace said:
If the guy on the spaceship were to shine a very bright light towards a dark area of the surface of the planet for 30 seconds, being that time is moving much more slowly on the planet, would the light reflect back to
No. However observers on the planet would see a very dim glow for a very long time. Edit: wrong - see below.

Last edited:
Benplace said:
In the movie Interstellar we see a planet close to the event horizon so when the astronauts land and get stuck on the planet for over an hour, many years passes for the guy on the spaceship and when they return he is an old man.
From what I understand, this is indeed what would happen and they consulted with scientists. Correct me if I am wrong.
My question is this. If the guy on the spaceship were to shine a very bright light towards a dark area of the surface of the planet for 30 seconds, being that time is moving much more slowly on the planet, would the light reflect back to him for much longer than he has it on?
Thanks,
Ben

Basically, the round trip for the light from the ship to the planet and back must be a constant (leaving aside any relative motion between the ship and the planet). If the first of the light reflects back to the ship after ##T## seconds, then the last of the light (having taken a near identical path through spacetime) will return after ##T + 30## seconds.

I haven't seen the film, but I wonder what the orbital period of the planet would be measured on the ship's clock?

PeroK said:
I haven't seen the film, but I wonder what the orbital period of the
Very very much longer than that measured locally by the astronauts on the planet.

Ibix said:
Very very much longer than that measured locally by the astronauts on the planet.

What sort of orbit was the planet in? Did they get greater time dilation from a highly elliptical orbit? I though the smallest stable circluar orbit was at ##R = 6M##, where the time dilation factor is only ##\sqrt 2##?

Last edited:
Ibix said:
No. However observers on the planet would see a very dim glow for a very long time.
I thought it would be the opposite and they would barely be able to detect the flash of light? If they were somehow able to watch the spaceship from the planet wouldn't they see the man aging very rapidly?
Hence the light would quickly flash?

PeroK said:
What sort of orbit was the planet in? Did they get greater time dilation from a highly elliptical orbit? I though the smallest stable circluar orbit was at ##R = 6M##, where the time dilation factor is only ##\sqrt 2##?

No. Kip Thorne used a rapidly roating Kerr black hole - rotating almost as much as is possible (extremal). He gives the detailed calculatoins in a book, which I skimmed once but don't recall the details of.

Likes PeroK
I don't see that anyone has noted this. The 30 second long pulse (per the rocket) would appear to be a tiny fraction of a second long per a surface observer. The reflected pulse would be similarly short per the surface, and thus 30 seconds as observed on the rocket, on return.

Benplace said:
Hence the light would quickly flash?
You are correct - I must have been asleep on Tuesday.

PeroK said:
To add to pervect's comment, you are correct for a Schwarzschild black hole, but orbits are different near a rotating black hole. Prograde and retrograde orbits are different, for example. Especially one with almost as much angular momentum as it's possible for it to have.

PAllen said:
I don't see that anyone has noted this. The 30 second long pulse (per the rocket) would appear to be a tiny fraction of a second long per a surface observer. The reflected pulse would be similarly short per the surface, and thus 30 seconds as observed on the rocket, on return.

... and likewise also blue-shifted ...

Ibix said:
No. However observers on the planet would see a very dim glow for a very long time.
They would see a very bright glow for a fraction of a second. (Also, they probably will not actually see it as it is blue-shifted beyond the visible spectrum.)

Orodruin said:
They would see a very bright glow for a fraction of a second. (Also, they probably will not actually see it as it is blue-shifted beyond the visible spectrum.)
Indeed. I think I was asleep on Tuesday. I got the orbital period question right, and failed to notice the contradiction.

Ibix said:
Indeed. I think I was asleep on Tuesday. I got the orbital period question right, and failed to notice the contradiction.

It says here (excerpt from Kip Thorne's book) that the planet has an approximately Earth-sized orbit taking one hour, as measured remotely. The time dilation factor is seven years to one hour. An orbit would take about ##0.06s## proper time.

https://www.space.com/28077-science-of-interstellar-book-excerpt.html

Orodruin said:
... and likewise also blue-shifted ...
If my reasoning is correct, the 1 hour to 7 years blue shifts the cosmic microwave background to about 14.4 eV. I didn't attempt the intensity.

1. What is light reflection on a planet close to an event horizon?

Light reflection on a planet close to an event horizon is a phenomenon that occurs when light from a distant source, such as a star, is bent and distorted as it passes through the intense gravitational field near a black hole's event horizon. This results in a distorted and magnified view of the surrounding stars and galaxies, creating a unique visual effect.

2. How does the movie "Interstellar" depict this phenomenon?

The movie "Interstellar" uses advanced visual effects and scientific principles to accurately depict the light reflection on a planet close to an event horizon. The filmmakers consulted with astrophysicists and used computer simulations to create a realistic portrayal of this phenomenon.

3. Is light reflection on a planet close to an event horizon a real scientific concept?

Yes, light reflection on a planet close to an event horizon is a real scientific concept that has been observed and studied by astronomers. It is a result of the bending of light in the presence of a massive object, such as a black hole.

4. Can we observe light reflection on a planet close to an event horizon in real life?

While we cannot currently observe light reflection on a planet close to an event horizon in real life, it is a possibility in the future. As technology and our understanding of the universe continue to advance, we may be able to capture images or data of this phenomenon.

5. What can we learn from studying light reflection on a planet close to an event horizon?

Studying light reflection on a planet close to an event horizon can provide valuable insights into the behavior of light in extreme gravitational fields. It can also help us better understand the properties and effects of black holes, which are still largely mysterious to scientists. Additionally, it allows us to explore the limits of our current understanding of physics and the universe.