Intro kinematics problem - is this ok?

In summary, two cars, a car and an SUV, are traveling on a North-South highway, with the car going at 80 km/h [N] and the SUV going at 70 km/h [S]. The two cars are separated by 20 km, with the car being to the south of the SUV. By using the equation V=d/t, where V is velocity, d is distance, and t is time, it can be determined that the two cars will meet at a point 90/8 km [N] from where the car first started. This is calculated by setting the sum of their displacements to 20 km and using the equation t=d/v to solve for t, which is then used to calculate
Tyrannosaurus_

Homework Statement

On a North-South highway, a Car drives 80 km/h [N]. A SUV, that is north of the Car, is moving 70 km/h [South]. The car is to the south of the SUV. The two are separated by 20 km. Where are the two cars when they pass each other.

Homework Equations

Both are in uniform motion so V = d/t -> d = v*t

The Attempt at a Solution

dc + dsuv = 20 km <--- this is my question... this part okay?
vc*t + vsuv*t = 20 km
t*(vc + vsuv) = 20 km
t*(160 km/h) = 20 km
t = 20 km / 160 km/h
t = 1/8 h

Next
dc = vc*t
dc = 90 km/h* (1/8) h
dc = 90/8 km [N]

So, the two meet at a place 90/8 km to the north of where the car started the problem from

Physics news on Phys.org
You originally stated that the car's speed was 80 km/h. Was that a mistake? Is it really supposed to be 90?

Sorry, that's a typo when I subbed the speed for the car. It should be as stated, the 80 km/h.

Do you think it's okay that I set the sum of their displacements to 20 km?
Also, should I subtract their velocities (they're act in opposite directions) when common factoring the time, t?

You add, not subtract. Think like this: each car is covering a distance. Both distances contribute to make the 20 km total. You could instead write it as 2 equations, with one car covering distance x, and the other car distance is (20 - x)

Why is it OK to do this problem without a sketch?

Zz.

Hi ZapperZ,

I've drawn sketches on my notes, but can't draw in this box. Moreover, I've posted images of my solutions before and have been in "trouble" for not following the template.

Thanks for your "help" though ZapperZ - lol!

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is an intro kinematics problem?

An intro kinematics problem is a practice problem that introduces the basic concepts and equations used in kinematics, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

3. How do I solve an intro kinematics problem?

To solve an intro kinematics problem, you will need to identify the given variables, choose the appropriate equation(s) to use, and then solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct equations for the given scenario.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving intro kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving intro kinematics problems include using the wrong equation, mixing up units, and not paying attention to the direction of motion. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving intro kinematics problems?

To improve your skills in solving intro kinematics problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the key equations and concepts. It may also be helpful to work through problems with a study group or seek assistance from a tutor or teacher.