Intro to abstract math—basic notation

In summary, the problem asks for a solution to a system of equations, but does not specify what those equations are.
TyroneTheDino

Homework Statement

Simplify the following statement as much as you can:

(b).
##(3<4) \wedge (3<6)##

Homework Equations

##\wedge= and##

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that I could just write this as ##3<4<6##,
but then I considered what if I didn't know that ##4<6##
If it was just ##(3<x)\wedge (3<y)##, then I would have to consider that I don't know either x or y.
Is it okay to say that ##3<4<6## though I just assume that ##4<6##?
Or is statement already simplified enough.
Is ##3<4, 6## a way to get around this?

Physics news on Phys.org
TyroneTheDino said:

Homework Statement

Simplify the following statement as much as you can:

(b).
##(3<4) \wedge (3<6)##

Homework Equations

##\wedge= and##

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that I could just write this as ##3<4<6##,
If 3 < 4, then 3 is automatically smaller than 6, so that latter statement is redundant.
TyroneTheDino said:
but then I considered what if I didn't know that ##4<6##
You know how to count to 10, right? Then you know that 4 < 6.
TyroneTheDino said:
If it was just ##(3<x)\wedge (3<y)##, then I would have to consider that I don't know either x or y.
Is it okay to say that ##3<4<6## though I just assume that ##4<6##?
Or is statement already simplified enough.
Is ##3<4, 6## a way to get around this?
No, 3 < 4, 6 is not any sort of standard notation.

I would not say "3< 4< 6" because "3 is less than 4 and 3 is less than 6" does NOT, as you say, say that "4< 6". I think the most "simplified" form is just what I said before: "3 is less than 4 and 3 is less than 6" or perhaps "3 is less that either 4 or 6". If you take it as given that 4< 6 then "3< 4 and 3< 6" is equivalent to "3< 4" since then "3< 6" follows immediately.

Are you allowed to replace a statement with a symbol that means "true"? The number 1 is often used for that purpose. (0 is used for "false").

If the problem had asked you to simplify ##\{x\in\mathbb R|(x<4)\land(x<6)\}##, I would have said ##\{x\in\mathbb R|x<4\}##. (Since 4<6, the statements "x<4" and "x<4 and x<6") are equivalent for all real numbers x). But here I don't think it makes sense to use that 4<6.

The problem is kind of weird. It might help if you tell us where you found it.

1. What is abstract math?

Abstract math, also known as pure math, is a branch of mathematics that deals with abstract structures and concepts, rather than specific numbers and equations. It focuses on developing theories and proving theorems using logical reasoning and deductive logic.

2. What is basic notation in abstract math?

Basic notation in abstract math refers to the symbols and notations used to represent mathematical concepts and operations. This includes symbols for numbers, variables, functions, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. Why is abstract math important?

Abstract math is important because it serves as the foundation for many other branches of mathematics such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science, economics, and physics.

4. How is abstract math different from other branches of math?

Abstract math differs from other branches of math in that it focuses on abstract concepts rather than concrete applications. It also relies heavily on logic and proofs, rather than calculations and equations.

5. Who can benefit from learning abstract math?

Anyone with an interest in mathematics can benefit from learning abstract math. It is particularly useful for those pursuing careers in fields such as science, engineering, and computer science, as well as for those interested in developing strong analytical and problem-solving skills.