Find Co-ordinates of Point C in Problem Involving Straight Line Equations

Overall, this is the simpler approach.In summary, to find the possible coordinates of point C, we can use a simpler approach by considering the absolute values of changes in x and y from point A to point B and reversing them to get the coordinates of point C, which will be either (3,0) or (-1,8).
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
straight line equations
Find the question here; My interest is on question ##3(c)## only.

1647999147492.png

My approach, Let the co ordinates of ##C##= ##(x,y)## then considering points ##B## and ##C##. We shall have the gradient given by;

##\dfrac {y-4}{x-1}##=##-2##

also from straight line equation, considering points ##A## and ##C##, we shall have;
##(x+3)^2+(y-2)^2=40##
we know that, ##y=-2x+6## from the given equations above, then we shall have,
##(x+3)^2+(-2x+6-2)^2=40##
##(x+3)^2+(-2x+4)^2=40##
##5x^2-10x-15=0##
##x^2-2x-3=0##
therefore possible co ordinates of ##C## are ##(3,0)## and ##(-1,8)##

I am seeking a much simpler approach...of course i assume the reader is conversant with my approach...because of time i cannot show step by step...but shout out to me if an equation is not clear. Bingo! :cool:heeey!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simpler approach:
To get from A to B we add 4 to x and 2 to y.
The segment from B to C is perpendicular to AB and the same length, so it must have absolute values of changes in x and y reversed, ie 2 and 4, and those changes must have opposite signs.
Hence, adding those changes to the coordinates of B = (1,4), we see it will be
(1 + 2, 4 - 4) = (3, 0)
OR
(1 - 2, 4 + 4) = (-1, 8)

Likes chwala
andrewkirk said:
Simpler approach:
To get from A to B we add 4 to x and 2 to y.
The segment from B to C is perpendicular to AB and the same length, so it must have absolute values of changes in x and y reversed, ie 2 and 4, and those changes must have opposite signs.
Hence, adding those changes to the coordinates of B = (1,4), we see it will be
(1 + 2, 4 - 4) = (3, 0)
OR
(1 - 2, 4 + 4) = (-1, 8)
Thanks, I had initially thought of this approach and found it ambiguous ...correct though...

1. What is the formula for finding the coordinates of point C in a problem involving straight line equations?

The formula for finding the coordinates of point C is (xC, yC) where xC is the x-coordinate and yC is the y-coordinate. These coordinates can be found by solving the system of equations created by the given straight lines.

2. How do I determine which equations to use to find the coordinates of point C?

To find the coordinates of point C, you will need to choose two equations from the given set of straight lines. These two equations should have two different variables (e.g. x and y) and when solved together, they will give you the values for xC and yC.

3. Can I use any method to solve for the coordinates of point C?

Yes, you can use any method to solve for the coordinates of point C as long as it is consistent with the given equations. Common methods include substitution, elimination, and graphing.

4. What if there are more than two given equations, how do I find the coordinates of point C?

If there are more than two given equations, you will need to choose any two equations and solve them simultaneously to find the coordinates of point C. You can repeat this process with different pairs of equations until you have enough information to determine the coordinates of point C.

5. Can I use a calculator to find the coordinates of point C?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve the system of equations and find the coordinates of point C. However, it is important to remember to round your answers to the appropriate number of decimal places to ensure accuracy.