Intro to Java book for scientific computing?

In summary: Java is a great language for GUI development, but for scientific computing it is not a very good choice.In summary, Java is not a good choice for scientific computing.
\Theta
Hey everybody,

I need to learn Java for a course I'm taking in the spring(my C++ course fulfills the prereq for our java intro to data structures course) and I need to get a working knowledge of java. I've been reading the book for the class I'm not taking, but it's essentially built around a program that makes it easier for professors to grade(rather than Eclipse), and I was wondering if there was a book out there that would give me a solid foundation that I could use with eclipse to teach myself. Mostly I'm worried about the underlying concepts for the next course- it's harder to grasp them when the examples and exercises aren't in a program you're using.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Right now I'm reading Kernighan and Ritchie's The C Programming Language. Is there a java equivalent that I can find at the library? I just need a java book that teaches you how to program(mainly with examples aimed at science/engineering) but let's you decide which compiler/environment to use.

Last edited:
Hi,
I recommend:
Big Java Late Objects
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1118087887/?tag=pfamazon01-20
, which can teach you how to program but let's you decide which compiler/environment to use.

Advantage: Clear, broad, and good for self-learning. You can read later chapters if you have C background.
Disadvantage: Not many examples on science/engineering but they do exist. I forgot how many though.td21

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the heck would you choose Java as a programming language for scientific computing? Rather learn C or [itex]\mathrm{C}^{++}[/itex]. For analytic calculations a computer algebra system like Mathematica is good. For not too time-consuming numerics, Mathematica is even a good choice for that. But Java? I don't get it!

1. What is the purpose of using Java for scientific computing?

The purpose of using Java for scientific computing is to create programs and applications that can handle complex mathematical and scientific calculations efficiently and accurately. Java's object-oriented programming approach and extensive library of mathematical functions make it a powerful tool for scientific computing.

2. What are the key features of an "Intro to Java book for scientific computing?"

The key features of an "Intro to Java book for scientific computing" would include a comprehensive introduction to Java programming, a focus on using Java for scientific and mathematical calculations, coverage of key concepts such as data types, control structures, and arrays, and hands-on exercises and examples to reinforce learning.

3. Do I need prior programming experience to use an "Intro to Java book for scientific computing?"

Prior programming experience is not necessary to use an "Intro to Java book for scientific computing," but a basic understanding of programming concepts such as variables, loops, and functions may be helpful. The book should provide a thorough introduction to Java programming for those with no prior experience.

4. Can an "Intro to Java book for scientific computing" be used for self-study?

Yes, an "Intro to Java book for scientific computing" can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to have some background knowledge in mathematics and scientific concepts to fully understand and apply the material covered in the book.

5. Is this book suitable for advanced users of Java?

This book may not be suitable for advanced users of Java who are already familiar with using Java for scientific computing. It is designed for beginners or those with some programming experience who want to learn how to apply Java to scientific calculations.