Anyone familiar with this Mathematica textbook?

In summary, the conversation discusses the textbook "Mathematica by Example, Fifth Edition" by Martha L.L. Abell, which is recommended for a course on computer algebra systems. The person asking the question is looking for additional resources to supplement their learning, as the professor for the course is not a great teacher. Suggestions for alternative books are given, including "Schaum's Outline of Mathematica" and a book published by Wolfram in 2016. The conversation also mentions that a third edition of "Schaum's Outline of Mathematica" was recently released.
MidgetDwarf
I am wondering if any PF member is familiar with this textbook on Mathematica.
Mathematica by Example, Fifth Edition, by Martha L.L. Abell.
The amazon link is https://www.amazon.com/dp/0128124814/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The course description:

MATH 2110 with grade C or better. Introduction to computer algebra systems such as Mathematica, Matlab or Maple; overview of built-in functions; 2-D and 3-D graphs; basic programming structures; flow control; development and implementation of algorithms.

I will be taking a course in Mathematica this Fall semester. The only prerequisites is completion of Single Variable Calculus. I have limited programming experience, I know the basics of Java. The professor does not use a book for this course. Small programming projects are given highlighting different important aspects of programming. The professor who teaches this class is not so great at teaching. I took a Probability Theory course last semester with this instructor. Refuses to answer questions in class, never comes prepared, and rude. So I would like to have some references to use for this upcoming course. I had to self study Probability Theory for about 12 hours, to receive an A in the course. I think I would to do the same for this course.

I read that Mathematica has a great help tutorials built in, but I like to also have a book to read during a 1 hour train ride. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you feel the book is a bit pricey there is the Schaum's Outline book (pub 2009) to consider:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071608281/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I've not read either book but judging by Amazon ratings the Schaum's book has been helpful to 50 or so folks who rated it 4.5 stars whereas your book has a 5 star rating with only 2 reviews shown.

One caveat is that the Schaum's book is circa 2009 and so may not have Mathematica's more recent features described.

And there's this one published by Wolfram in 2016 with 4.5 stars and 50 reviewers:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1579550126/?tag=pfamazon01-20

jedishrfu said:
One caveat is that the Schaum's book is circa 2009 and so may not have Mathematica's more recent features described.
If I can be forgiven for resurrecting this, great news! Third edition got released just a month ago:
Schaum's Outline of Mathematica

Considering how cheap SO books are, I'll definitely be getting a copy while it's "fresh".

1. What is the level of difficulty for this textbook?

The level of difficulty for this Mathematica textbook varies depending on the reader's prior knowledge and experience with the software. However, the textbook is generally considered to be suitable for beginner to intermediate level users.

2. Does this textbook cover all aspects of Mathematica?

No, this textbook may not cover all aspects of Mathematica as it is a comprehensive software with many features and functions. However, it does cover the essential topics and provides a strong foundation for further exploration.

3. Is this textbook suitable for self-study or is it better used as a supplement to a course?

This textbook can be used for both self-study and as a supplement to a course. It is designed to be self-contained and can be used as the primary resource for learning Mathematica, but can also be used in conjunction with a course.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using this textbook?

This textbook assumes no prior knowledge of Mathematica. However, a basic understanding of mathematics and programming concepts can be helpful in understanding the material.

5. Are there any practice problems or exercises included in this textbook?

Yes, this Mathematica textbook includes numerous practice problems and exercises throughout each chapter to help readers reinforce their understanding and apply the concepts they have learned.