Intro to Unix, class or online?

In summary: The online course may be a good option if you are confident in your ability to learn on your own and don't want to commit to a set class time. However, if you have any doubts or feel like having a structured class would be more beneficial, then attending the actual class may be a better choice. In summary, it seems like the "Intro to Unix" class is focused on shell scripts and includes a brief introduction to Perl. It may be a good option for those with experience working at the terminal and can be taken either online or in a structured class setting.
Cmertin
So, I'm majoring in Physics and I got an email from my adviser saying that "Intro to Unix" was one of the most helpful classes. They only offer them during 2 times. One is Tuesdays 5:15pm to 6:30pm while the other is online. I've dabbled in Linux distros and use them from time to time, so I'm wondering, what would be the best class for me to take? Online course or going to an actual class? I'm not sure how this class is going to be which is why I'm asking. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cmertin

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it an intro with programming, or just using Unix? If it's a serious programming course, going to class could make it a lot easier if the professor is the sort that actually teaches (as opposed to just repeating what you can get from the textbook). Dabbling in linux distros doesn't really give you programming experience. You can always look at the syllabus or contact the professor to ask about what will be taught, and make your decision based on how foreign (or not) the coursework seems to be.

If it's really beginner stuff with no more programming than just some simple scripts, I would assume that, as a physics major, it will be pretty easy for you to figure out without attending class.

The syllabus can be found here: http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~asriniva/courses/IntUnix07/

Anyways, it basically is shell scrips and then, for 2 lectures, we get into Perl. Shouldn't be too bad then to take online, right?

Yeah, it looks fairly easy, especially if you have experience working at the terminal.

As a fellow scientist, I would highly recommend taking the Intro to Unix class in person rather than online. While online courses can be convenient, they often lack the hands-on experience and interaction with the instructor and other students that can greatly enhance your learning and understanding of the material. Additionally, Unix is a complex operating system and having a physical instructor present can help with any troubleshooting or questions that may arise during the class. Furthermore, the class schedule may also allow for more flexibility and the ability to ask questions in real-time. Ultimately, the decision is up to you and your learning style, but I believe that the in-person class would provide the most comprehensive and beneficial experience for learning Unix.

1. What is Unix and why is it important?

Unix is a computer operating system that was created in the 1970s. It is important because it is the basis for many other operating systems, including Linux and Mac OS X. It is also widely used in scientific research, engineering, and other fields.

2. What will I learn in an Intro to Unix class or online course?

In an Intro to Unix class or online course, you will learn the basics of using the Unix command line interface, including how to navigate the file system, create and edit files, and use common commands for managing and manipulating data. You will also learn about the history and evolution of Unix, as well as its key features and advantages.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to take an Intro to Unix class or online course?

No, prior knowledge or experience is typically not required for an Intro to Unix class or online course. However, basic computer skills and familiarity with using a keyboard and mouse are recommended.

4. What are the benefits of taking an Intro to Unix class or online course?

Taking an Intro to Unix class or online course can provide you with valuable skills that are highly sought after in the job market, especially in fields related to computer science and technology. It can also help you become more efficient and effective in using Unix-based systems for your personal and professional projects.

5. Can I use Unix on any type of computer?

Yes, Unix can be used on a variety of computer systems, including personal computers, servers, and mainframes. Some versions of Unix, such as Linux, are open-source and can be downloaded and installed for free on most computers.