Introducing Local Charge to Conductors?

In summary, it is possible to introduce local charge on a conductor, but it would only last for a moment. Also, if you transferred some electrons from the conductor to another object, it would have a locally positive charge in the area where electrons were lost.
Balsam

Homework Statement

Is it possible to introduce local charge on a conductor?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that electrons can move freely from atom to atom in the conductor, so if you introduce excess electrons to the conductor, they'll spread out and there won't be a local charge. But, in this situation, would there be a local charge that only lasts for a moment, before all the electrons are able to spread out across the conductor, moving from atom to atom? Also, if you transferred some electrons from the conductor to another object, would it have a locally positive charge in the area where electrons were lost or would those protons spread out as well, moving from atom to atom? I think this would happen because I think only electrons can move freely in conductors, not protons, but I'm not sure.

Also, could the protons and electrons in a conductor repel each other so that they separate and one side of the conductor would be positive while the other side would be negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Balsam said:
Also, if you transferred some electrons from the conductor to another object, would it have a locally positive charge in the area where electrons were lost or would those protons spread out as well, moving from atom to atom? I think this would happen because I think only electrons can move freely in conductors, not protons, but I'm not sure.
There is a definite speed with which the electrons can move ,even on a conductor. So yes, there would be a momentary 'local charge' before the electrons distribute over the conductor.

Balsam said:
Also, if you transferred some electrons from the conductor to another object, would it have a locally positive charge in the area where electrons were lost or would those protons spread out as well, moving from atom to atom? I think this would happen because I think only electrons can move freely in conductors, not protons, but I'm not sure.

If some electrons are lost from the conductor, the 'positive charge' thus created will spread over the conductor. A positive charge is viewed as a deficiency of electrons. When a deficiency is created over a particular area, electrons from rest of the conductor flow towards the area to relieve the deficiency. This causes the deficiency to spread over the whole of the conductor in a symmetrical fashion. Also, you are right in saying that protons don't move in a conductor.

You can use the analogy of a sea or an ocean. Think that you added some water(electrons) to the ocean(electrons in the conductor). The added water would naturally spread all over the ocean so that the water level is equal at all places. Now think that you removed some water from the sea (that would be similar to creating a positive charge on our conductor).water from neighboring areas would gush into fill the void created by us; this would proceed till the water level is same all over.

vidit jain said:
There is a definite speed with which the electrons can move ,even on a conductor. So yes, there would be a momentary 'local charge' before the electrons distribute over the conductor.
If some electrons are lost from the conductor, the 'positive charge' thus created will spread over the conductor. A positive charge is viewed as a deficiency of electrons. When a deficiency is created over a particular area, electrons from rest of the conductor flow towards the area to relieve the deficiency. This causes the deficiency to spread over the whole of the conductor in a symmetrical fashion. Also, you are right in saying that protons don't move in a conductor.

You can use the analogy of a sea or an ocean. Think that you added some water(electrons) to the ocean(electrons in the conductor). The added water would naturally spread all over the ocean so that the water level is equal at all places. Now think that you removed some water from the sea (that would be similar to creating a positive charge on our conductor).water from neighboring areas would gush into fill the void created by us; this would proceed till the water level is same all over.
Thanks!

1. What is local charge and how does it affect conductors?

Local charge refers to the accumulation of electric charge in a specific area on the surface of a conductor. This can occur due to various reasons such as friction, contact with other objects, or changes in temperature. Local charge can affect conductors by creating an imbalance in the flow of electrons, leading to the buildup of static electricity.

2. How is local charge introduced to conductors?

Local charge can be introduced to conductors through various methods such as rubbing two objects together, separating two objects that are in contact, or by bringing a charged object close to a conductor. In these situations, electrons are either transferred or redistributed, resulting in the buildup of local charge on the conductor's surface.

3. What are the effects of local charge on conductors?

The effects of local charge on conductors can range from minor inconveniences to major issues. In some cases, it can cause the buildup of static electricity, leading to uncomfortable shocks. In more severe cases, it can damage sensitive electronic equipment or cause fires due to the discharge of accumulated charge.

4. Can local charge be prevented or controlled?

Yes, local charge can be prevented or controlled by using various methods such as grounding, which involves connecting the conductor to a larger object or the ground to allow the charge to dissipate. Other methods include using anti-static materials or applying a conducting coating on the surface of the conductor to prevent charge buildup.

5. How is local charge related to the concept of electric potential?

Local charge is closely related to the concept of electric potential, as both involve the buildup of electric charge on a conductor's surface. In the case of local charge, the charge is confined to a specific area, while electric potential refers to the overall charge distribution on a conductor's surface. Both can affect the flow of electrons and the behavior of conductors in an electrical circuit.