Introductory books on Graph Theory and Combinatorics?

In summary, the conversation is about a college junior seeking recommendations for books on graph theory and combinatorics for their undergraduate research project. They have a good mathematical background but want books that are more reader-friendly and introductory. They provide a link to a potential book option.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum friends,

I am a college junior who is currently conducting the undergraduate research in the theoretical computer science. I wrote this post to seek you recommendation on the books that separately treat the graph theory and combinatotics, both in theory and applications. I really need to understand the graph theory and combinatotics as it is one of the crucial parts of my current project. I am encountering terms like counting problems, matchings, H-coloring/homomorphisms, 2-3 graphs, etc. I am currently taking Analysis I (Rudin) and Linear Algebra (Hoffman/Kunze) so I have a good degree of mathematical maturity, but I would like books that treat the combinatorics and graph theory in a reader-friendly, introductory levels.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Introductory books on Graph Theory and Combinatorics?

1. What is graph theory and combinatorics?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of graphs, which are mathematical structures used to model relationships between objects. Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects.

2. Who can benefit from reading introductory books on graph theory and combinatorics?

Anyone interested in learning about the fundamentals of graph theory and combinatorics can benefit from reading introductory books on the subject. This includes mathematicians, computer scientists, and other professionals in related fields.

3. What are some real-life applications of graph theory and combinatorics?

Graph theory and combinatorics have many practical applications, including in computer science, transportation and network systems, social networks, and cryptography. They are also used in various fields of science, such as biology, chemistry, and physics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding introductory books on graph theory and combinatorics?

Some basic knowledge of algebra and set theory is helpful for understanding introductory books on graph theory and combinatorics. However, most introductory books are written in a way that is accessible to readers with a general mathematical background.

5. Can I use graph theory and combinatorics to solve everyday problems?

Yes, graph theory and combinatorics can be applied to solve everyday problems, such as scheduling tasks, optimizing resources, and finding the shortest route between two points. Learning the basics of these subjects can help improve problem-solving skills in various areas of life.