Graph Theory book or literature that dives into these concepts

In summary, the conversation is about the need for recommendations on literature to understand the sections on boundary and cycle vector in Frank Harary's book on graph theory. The person suggests checking the Wikipedia article on cycle spaces and clarifies that Harary uses the term "boundary" to refer to endpoints. They also recommend looking into literature on chains and boundaries in topology for further understanding. The conversation ends with a mention of the references listed in the Wikipedia article.
Terrell
I need recommendations on literature to read. Basically i do not understand these section of Frank Harary's book on graph theory since the definition of what a boundary and a cycle vector is not clearly defined. I have googled literature on it but I am having a tough time finding the right literature. I attached an image of a page in the book. please see below. thanks!

Attachments

• what.png
    what.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to try the Wikipedia article for cycle spaces: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_space

Note that the finite field [itex] \mathbb Z^2[/itex] is the same as what Harary calls [itex] \mathbb F_2[/itex].

Also, he's using the word boundary to mean endpoints. A closed loop has no endpoints. His choice of language makes sense because he's speaking topologically. Look up some literature on chains and boundaries in topology and you can see how subsets of graphs are very simple examples of chains in topology.

The Wikipedia article I linked has a decent list of references you might want to check some of, by the way.

Likes Terrell

1. What is graph theory?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of structures called graphs. A graph consists of a set of vertices (also called nodes) and a set of edges that connect these vertices. It is used to model and solve problems in various fields, such as computer science, engineering, and social sciences.

2. What are some key concepts in graph theory?

Some key concepts in graph theory include degree, connectivity, paths and cycles, planarity, and graph coloring. Degree refers to the number of edges incident to a vertex, connectivity measures how easily one can travel between vertices, paths and cycles are sequences of edges and vertices, planarity refers to whether a graph can be drawn without crossing edges, and graph coloring is the assignment of colors to vertices subject to certain constraints.

3. What are some real-world applications of graph theory?

Graph theory has many real-world applications, such as in transportation networks, social networks, internet routing, and recommendation systems. For example, graph theory can be used to optimize bus routes, analyze social media connections, determine the most efficient internet paths, and make personalized recommendations based on connections between items.

4. What are some popular graph theory books or literature?

Some popular graph theory books include "Introduction to Graph Theory" by Douglas B. West, "Graph Theory" by Reinhard Diestel, and "Graph Theory with Applications" by J.A. Bondy and U.S.R. Murty. Other literature on graph theory can be found in academic journals, such as "Journal of Graph Theory" and "Discrete Mathematics."

5. How can I learn more about graph theory?

There are many resources available to learn more about graph theory, such as online courses, textbooks, and lectures. Additionally, attending conferences and workshops on graph theory can provide a deeper understanding of the subject. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working with real-world applications of graph theory to gain practical experience.