Introductory physics: Time for a ball thrown vertically to reach maximum height

danielsmith123123
Homework Statement
A 3 kg ball is thrown vertically into the air with an initial velocity of 15 m/s. What is the time it takes for the ball to reach its maximum height?
Relevant Equations
Vf =vi +at
Vf^2 = Vi^2 +2ax
x = Vf t - (1/2)(a)(t^2)
x = Vi t + (1/2)(a)(t^2)
Is the answer key wrong? I keep getting the same answer and it is verified with the freefall equation distance=1/2 (g)(t^2)
IMG_5721[1120].PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should write the full text of the problem, not an abstract of it. Where did the value of d comes from?

Ok thank you, i edited the forum. I guess you can't open pictures on this website, but i calculated d with Vf^2=Vi^2 +(2)(a)(d)
0^2 = 15^2 + (2)(-9.8)d
d = 11.4m
(I realize i probably shouldn't use "x" and "d" interchangibly)

You found the maximum height. The problem is asking you to find the time it takes to reach that maximum height. Your answer should be a number in seconds, not meters.

Likes PeroK
danielsmith123123 said:
Ok thank you, i edited the forum. I guess you can't open pictures on this website, but i calculated d with Vf^2=Vi^2 +(2)(a)(d)
0^2 = 15^2 + (2)(-9.8)d
d = 11.4m
(I realize i probably shouldn't use "x" and "d" interchangibly)
You don't need the height but you got it OK. What is your problem? I cannot read the image you posted. It is not clear enough.

1. How is the maximum height of a ball thrown vertically calculated?

The maximum height of a ball thrown vertically can be calculated using the formula: h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the significance of time in determining the maximum height of a ball?

Time plays a crucial role in determining the maximum height of a ball thrown vertically. The time taken by the ball to reach its maximum height is half of the total time of flight. This is because the ball reaches its highest point when its vertical velocity becomes zero, and then starts to fall back down due to the force of gravity.

3. How does the initial velocity affect the maximum height of a ball?

The initial velocity has a direct impact on the maximum height of a ball thrown vertically. The higher the initial velocity, the higher the maximum height reached by the ball. This is because a higher initial velocity means the ball has more energy, which allows it to overcome the force of gravity and reach a greater height.

4. Can the angle of projection affect the maximum height of a ball thrown vertically?

Yes, the angle of projection can affect the maximum height of a ball thrown vertically. The maximum height is achieved when the angle of projection is 90 degrees, i.e. when the ball is thrown straight up. As the angle decreases, the maximum height also decreases because the vertical component of the initial velocity decreases, resulting in a lower maximum height.

5. What factors can cause the actual maximum height of a ball to differ from the calculated maximum height?

Several factors can cause the actual maximum height of a ball to differ from the calculated maximum height. These include air resistance, the shape and size of the ball, and external forces such as wind. In real-life scenarios, it is difficult to account for all these factors, which can result in a slight difference between the calculated and actual maximum height of a ball thrown vertically.