Intuition behind a method of adding two fractions

In summary, to add fractions, you need a common denominator. This can be achieved by multiplying the fractions by a form of 1, such as the identity property, to make the denominators the same. Then, you can simply add the numerators and keep the denominator the same to get the final result. This concept can be understood by thinking of the denominators as "units" and making sure they are the same before adding the fractions.
Juwane
One way to add two fractions is to multiply the numerators of both fractions with each other's denominator, then adding the two products, gives us the numerator of the final result. Then we multiply together the denominators of each other--this gives us the denominator of the final result.

Consider this example:

[tex]
\frac{2}{3} + \frac{4}{5} = \frac{(5\times2)+(3\times4)}{(3\times5)} = \frac{22}{15}
[/tex]

Why are we able to do that? I'm not looking for a rigorous proof, just the intuition behind it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
To add fractions, they need the same denominator. We "change" the fractions to have a common denominator by the identity property x·1 = x and then simplify the result.
[tex]\frac{2}{3} + \frac{4}{5} = \frac{2}{3}\times\frac{5}{5} + \frac{4}{5}\times\frac{3}{3}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{2\times 5}{3\times 5} + \frac{4\times 3}{5\times 3} = \frac{(5\times 2) + (3\times 4)}{3\times 5}[/tex]

I suppose the "intuition" is to make the denominators the same and then combine the fractions. What you have could be used as a formula for adding fractions, bypassing all the steps that lead up to that result.

This reminds me of something I told one of my friends a long time ago while driving down the highway. We saw a sign saying 3/4 mile to our exit. I mentioned to her, "there's only three quarter-miles to go." She thought about it for a second and was amused that she never thought of it as three "quarter miles." In her mind, it was always "three quarters" of a whole mile.

The nice thing is the two are interchangeable. Any hungry child will tell you that half a pie isn't the same as a third of a pie. But which is bigger? How do you compare halves and thirds? You convert each to an equal amount of sixths-pies. Then it's clear. If you cut a pie into 6 even pieces, you need to take 3 to have taken half the pie, so 1/2 = 3/6. And in the same way, you need 2/6 of a pie to equal that third-pie.

It's obvious with pie and pictures. But once you distill it to numbers, it does appear mysterious.

One way of thinking about it is that the denominators of fractions are really "units". That is, if we talk about "4 feet" or "3 yards", the "4" and "3" alone would be meaningless without specifying what units we are using. If we were to add those, we would NOT get "7" anything! We must have the same units. Here, it is simplest to change "3 yards" to 9 feet, since there are 3 yards to a foot. "4 feet plus 3 yards" is the same as "4 feet plus 9 feet= (4 + 9) feet= 13 feet.

Similarly, two add 2/3 plus 4/5, I need to get the same "units". One "third" is not any integer multiple of one "fifth" or vice versa but one "third" is 5 "fifteenths" so 2 "thirds" is 10 "fifteenths" and one "fifth" is 3 "fifteenths" so 4 "fifths" is 12 "fifteenths".

2 thirds plus 4 fifths= 10 fifteenths plust 12 fifteenths= 22 fifteenths.
2/3+ 4/5= 10/15+ 12/15= 22/15.

Related to Intuition behind a method of adding two fractions

1. What is the intuition behind adding two fractions?

The intuition behind adding two fractions is that we are combining two parts of a whole. Each fraction represents a part of the whole, and when we add them together, we are finding the sum of those two parts.

2. How do we add two fractions with different denominators?

To add two fractions with different denominators, we need to find a common denominator. This is done by finding the least common multiple (LCM) of the two denominators and using it as the new denominator for both fractions. Then, we can add the numerators of the fractions and keep the common denominator.

3. Can fractions with different denominators be added without finding a common denominator?

No, fractions with different denominators cannot be added without finding a common denominator. This is because the denominators represent the number of equal parts that make up the whole, and if the denominators are different, the fractions are not representing the same size parts and cannot be added together.

4. What is the intuition behind simplifying a fraction after adding?

The intuition behind simplifying a fraction after adding is to have the fraction in its simplest form. This means that the numerator and denominator have no common factors other than 1, and the fraction cannot be reduced any further. Simplifying a fraction makes it easier to work with and understand.

5. Can fractions with different denominators be added if they are not proper fractions?

Yes, fractions with different denominators can still be added if they are not proper fractions. We can convert them into improper fractions, find a common denominator, and then add them together. After adding, we can simplify the resulting fraction if needed.