"Neighbor fractions" in Gelfand's Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in Gelfand's algebra involving neighbor fractions and the definition of neighbor fractions provided in the book. The problem is about proving that there is no fraction between two given fractions, and the conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and clarifying the definition. The final solution involves using actual neighbor fractions as examples.
xwolfhunter
I'm reading Gelfand's algebra, and I encountered some wonky stuff that I can't figure out on my own (hence my need for the book in the first place) in problem 42 of the book. Here is an explicit statement of the problem. I thought parts a. and b. were easy, but when it came to part c., I just kept scratching my head.

To state here the definition of a neighbor fraction given in the book, given some ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}##, the two are neighbor fractions when the numerator of ##\frac{ad-bc}{bd}##, i.e. ##ad-bc##, is equal to ##\pm 1##. (He explicitly states that ##ad-bc=\pm1##.)

Now part c. is about proving that, given some ##\frac{e}{f}## such that ##f<b+d##, there is no ##e## where ##\frac{a}{b}>\frac{e}{f}>\frac{c}{d}## (assuming ##\frac{a}{b}>\frac{c}{d}##).

First, I went the common sense route and just thought of a neighbor fraction. Why not ##\frac{3}{18}## and ##\frac{4}{18}##? I even worked out ##\frac{a+c}{b+d}## to see if it would neighbor the outsides, like I proved in part two, and reduced it down to ##\frac{5}{30}##,##\frac{6}{30}## and ##\frac{9}{45}##,##\frac{10}{45}##. So far so good, right? So if part c. was about proving that there is no ##\frac{e}{f}## between the two, I thought I'd try to find one, to see if I could learn anything about the structure by doing so, and be led to the solution. So, let's see, ##b+d=15##, and ##f<b+d##, so I'll say ##f=14##. Now let's try to find . . . wait.

##\frac{1}{6}=.1\bar{6}##.

##\frac{2}{9}=.\bar{2}##.

##\frac{3}{14}=.2142857##(a pattern I recognize from one of the earlier problems! Good old integer 7.)

So much for that.

Then the following occurred to me:

Let's just suppose for example that there exists some ##abcd## such that the numerator of ##\frac{ad-bc}{bd}=\pm1##. Now I give ##a'=2a\\b'=2b\\c'=2c\\d'=2d##and checking with the definition, we see that the numerator of ##\frac{a'd'-b'c'}{b'd'}=\pm2##, which means that by definition ##\frac{a'}{b'}## and ##\frac{c'}{d'}## are not neighbor fractions, but ##\frac{a'}{b'}##=##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c'}{d'}##=##\frac{c}{d}##, and by supposition ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}## are neighbor fractions, so contradiction. So the definition doesn't seem to work.

Clearly I am in desperate need of foundation work, so if somebody could maybe explain what my misconception is, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance, I always find this place very helpful!

Edit: Okay, with the last part, part a. addresses that . . . so never mind. Maybe he's just imposing restrictions on what fractions are called neighbor fractions, since, again, ##\frac{1}{6}## and ##\frac{2}{9}## have ##\frac{3}{14}## between them, but also don't satisfy the definition . . . I'm just not sure what's really going on here mathematically.

Edit edit: Ahhhhhh, I completely missed the point of part a. of the problem, upon rereading it. I'm going to revisit that and try again, but responses are still very much welcome.

Last edited:
@xwolfhunter, not sure what you're doing, but if you want to "take the common sense route" you need to start with two fractions that actually are neighber fractions according to the definition.

Your first examples of 3/18 and 4/18 don't work, because ##ad - bc \ne \pm1##. Note that the reduced forms of these are 1/6 and 2/9, and these aren't neighbor fractions, either (1 * 9 - 2 * 6 = -3).

Here are a couple that actually are neighbor fractions: ##\frac 1 2## and ##\frac 2 3##. Here ad - bc = 3 - 4 = -1.

1. What are neighbor fractions in Gelfand's Algebra?

Neighbor fractions in Gelfand's Algebra refer to a concept in mathematics where a fraction is expressed as the sum of two other fractions with the same denominator, where one fraction is one less than the original fraction and the other fraction is one more than the original fraction.

2. What is the importance of neighbor fractions in Gelfand's Algebra?

Neighbor fractions are important in Gelfand's Algebra because they are used to simplify and solve complex algebraic equations. They also help in understanding the properties of fractions and their relationships with each other.

3. How are neighbor fractions calculated in Gelfand's Algebra?

To calculate neighbor fractions in Gelfand's Algebra, you first need to find a common denominator for the fractions involved. Then, you can use the concept of equivalent fractions to express the original fraction as the sum of two fractions with the same denominator.

4. Can neighbor fractions be applied to other areas of mathematics?

Yes, the concept of neighbor fractions in Gelfand's Algebra can be applied to other areas of mathematics such as number theory and algebraic geometry. They are also useful in solving real-world problems related to proportions and ratios.

5. Are neighbor fractions unique in Gelfand's Algebra?

No, neighbor fractions are not unique in Gelfand's Algebra. There can be multiple ways to express a fraction as the sum of two other fractions with the same denominator. However, the concept of neighbor fractions can still be applied to all cases.