Intuitive explanation of fractional exponents?

In summary, fractional exponents are used in compound interest calculations. They are related to the physical world in that they represent a portion of an amount.
musicgold

Homework Statement

What would have caused humans to come up with fractional exponent notations?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that it makes sense to use the exponent notation when we have to multiply the same number a number of times. For example, 10^8 is the short form for writing 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10.

But, I am not able to imagine a scenario where a human ancestor had to use this notation: 10^0.8. Is there an intuitive way to understand this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
musicgold said:

Homework Statement

What would have caused humans to come up with fractional exponent notations?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that it makes sense to use the exponent notation when we have to multiply the same number a number of times. For example, 10^8 is the short form for writing 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10.

But, I am not able to imagine a scenario where a human ancestor had to use this notation: 10^0.8. Is there an intuitive way to understand this?

Thanks.
Fractional exponents pop up in compound interest calculations.

It's really quite simple. If you start with the concept that 10X10X10 = 10^3, you soon see that when you multiply two numbers, you add the exponents. So then you ask, why should the exponents only be integers? Why not 10^x * 10^x = 10^2x = 10 = 10^1? so x = 1/2. So 10^1/2 = sqrt(10). From there you can extend the idea to any real number, which gets you to the concept of logarithms. There are other reasons why this makes sense, but that's the basic idea.

Thanks.

But I am not talking in abstract terms. In terms of physical objects, what does 10^0.8 = 6.31 mean?

For example, I can tell a kid that all 10^8 means is multiplying 10 eight times. How do I explain 10^0.8 = 6.31 to her?
How are the 10 and 6.31 related in the physical world?

I hope I am making sense. Thanks again.

musicgold said:
Thanks.

But I am not talking in abstract terms. In terms of physical objects, what does 10^0.8 = 6.31 mean?

For example, I can tell a kid that all 10^8 means is multiplying 10 eight times. How do I explain 10^0.8 = 6.31 to her?

(1) If at time ##t=0## (measured in years) you have ##\$1## in a bank account that pays 12% per annum, but with interest compounded daily, your account contains ##\$1.12## at the end of the year (##t = 1##). What would it contain at time ##t = .75## (3/4 of a year)? What would it contain at ##t = 2.5## (2 and 1/2 years)? The answers are ##\$1.12^{.75}## and ##\$1.12^{2.5}##---so fractional exponents!
(2) Suppose you have a radioactive substance with a half-life of 2 years (so after 2 years, half of the radioactive substance is gone---converted to something else). What fraction of the initial amount would be left at ##t = 0.9## years? At ##t = 11.66## years? Again, these questions/answers involve fractional exponents.

Of course, if you go back far enough our ancestors did not know about compound interest or radioactivity, and so might not have needed fractional exponents.

As to how people came up with these things: who knows? How did Copernicus come up with the current view of the solar system? How people come to realize the Earth is round? How did Newton and Leibnitz come to invent calculus? They all did, and we benefit from that.

Last edited:
musicgold said:
Thanks.

I would say the answer to your question lies less in the arithmetic properties of exponents than in the more general mathematical properties. For example, the exponential function ##e^x## is one of the most useful across mathematics, pure and applied. To define this function for all real numbers ##x##, you must deal with real exponents, both rational and irrational.

I don't think equations like ##10^8 = 6.31## are particularly useful in their own right, but:

##\frac{d}{dx}e^x = e^x##

is more than extremely useful.

CWatters said:
So its best to express 0.8 as 8/10 eg X to the 8th power and 10th root.
Or in terms of radicals:
$$10^{0.8} = \sqrt[10]{10^8}$$
which is the same as $$\sqrt[5]{10^4}$$

Something in the same vein, but maybe easier to comprehend would be ##8^{4/3} = (\sqrt[3] 8)^4##, which can also be written as ##\sqrt[3]{8^4}##.
In either form, when completely simplified, this would be ##2^4 = 16##
Any positive number to a rational power (and some negative numbers) can be rewritten in terms of radicals. For example, ##x^{m/n} = \sqrt[n]{x^m}## or ##(\sqrt[n] x)^m##, take your pick. Here a and b are positive integers, but the equation may or may not hold for negative real x, depending on the power.

musicgold said:
But, I am not able to imagine a scenario where a human ancestor had to use this notation: 10^0.8.
I can imagine such a scenario.
The keys on a piano are arranged in several octaves, with A below middle C being about in the middle of the keyboard, with a frequency of 440 Hz. The next higher A is an octave higher in pitch, and its frequency is double that of A below middle C. The way the tones are laid out, by long tradition, is that each semitone increases in frequency by a factor of ##2^{1/12}## from the previous tone. So A frequency = 440 = ## 440 \times 2^0## Hz, A# frequency = ##440 \times 2^{1/12}## = 466 Hz, B frequency = ##440 \times 2^{2/12}## = 494 Hz, ##\dots##, next A frequency = ##440 \times 2^{12/12}## = 880 Hz, and so on.

I'm not sure how long this has been known, but I would guess something like at least 150 years.

1. What is a fractional exponent?

A fractional exponent is a way of representing a power or root that is not a whole number. It is written in the form of a fraction, with the numerator representing the power and the denominator representing the root.

2. How is a fractional exponent calculated?

A fractional exponent is calculated by taking the root of the base number and raising it to the power of the numerator of the fraction. For example, the fractional exponent 2/3 would be calculated as the cube root of the base number raised to the power of 2.

3. What is the significance of fractional exponents?

Fractional exponents allow us to represent and calculate powers and roots that are not whole numbers, making it easier to work with numbers that are not perfect squares or cubes. They also allow for more precise and accurate calculations.

4. How do fractional exponents relate to traditional exponents?

Fractional exponents are an alternative way of expressing traditional exponents. For example, 2/3 is equivalent to the square root of the base number, which is represented by the traditional exponent 1/2. They both result in the same value when calculated.

5. Can fractional exponents be negative?

Yes, fractional exponents can be negative. A negative fractional exponent indicates the reciprocal of the base number raised to the power of the absolute value of the exponent. For example, the negative fractional exponent -2/3 would be calculated as the reciprocal of the cube root of the base number raised to the power of 2.