Partial fraction decomposition using matrix

In summary, the conversation is about partial fraction decomposition and the attempt to solve an exercise using this method. The person asking the question explains their understanding and approach to the problem, and asks for clarification on whether they are on the right track. The expert responds by summarizing the steps taken by the person and confirming that they are correct so far. They also suggest simplifying the process by taking out a common factor. The person then shares their solution and the expert confirms that it is correct.
ducmod

Homework Statement

Hello!
I am doing a chapter on partial fraction decomposition, and it seems I do not understand it correctly.
Here is the exercise doing which I get wrong answers. Please, take a look at the way I proceed and, please, let me know what is wrong in my understanding.

Homework Equations

(11x^2 - 5x - 10) / (5x^3 - 5x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I look at the denominator and see that there are three factors:
5x^2 ( x - 1) =>
5x and 5x^2 and (x - 1)

Second, I construct the form to begin the partial fraction decomposition:
(11x^2 - 5x - 10) / (5x^3 - 5x^2) = A / 5x + B / 5x^2 + C / (x - 1)
Here is the question: am I on the right path, and do I use the constant term 5 correctly in the denominator?

Third step: I eliminate the denominator on both sides:
(11x^2 - 5x - 10) = A 5x^2 (x - 1) / 5x + B 5x^2 (x - 1) / 5x^2 + C 5x^2 (x - 1) / (x - 1)
(11x^2 - 5x - 10) = A x (x - 1) + B (x - 1) + C 5x^2
11x^2 - 5x - 10 = Ax^2 - Ax + Bx - B + C 5x^2
11x^2 - 5x - 10 = x^2(A + 5C) + x (B - A) - B

Fourth step: I create a matrix:
A + 5C = 11
B - A = - 5
- B = - 10

But this can't be correct because leads to wrong answers.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ducmod said:

Homework Statement

Hello!
I am doing a chapter on partial fraction decomposition, and it seems I do not understand it correctly.
Here is the exercise doing which I get wrong answers. Please, take a look at the way I proceed and, please, let me know what is wrong in my understanding.

Homework Equations

(11x^2 - 5x - 10) / (5x^3 - 5x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I look at the denominator and see that there are three factors:
5x^2 ( x - 1) =>
5x and 5x^2 and (x - 1)

Second, I construct the form to begin the partial fraction decomposition:
(11x^2 - 5x - 10) / (5x^3 - 5x^2) = A / 5x + B / 5x^2 + C / (x - 1)
Here is the question: am I on the right path, and do I use the constant term 5 correctly in the denominator?

Third step: I eliminate the denominator on both sides:
(11x^2 - 5x - 10) = A 5x^2 (x - 1) / 5x + B 5x^2 (x - 1) / 5x^2 + C 5x^2 (x - 1) / (x - 1)
(11x^2 - 5x - 10) = A x (x - 1) + B (x - 1) + C 5x^2
11x^2 - 5x - 10 = Ax^2 - Ax + Bx - B + C 5x^2
11x^2 - 5x - 10 = x^2(A + 5C) + x (B - A) - B

Fourth step: I create a matrix:
A + 5C = 11
B - A = - 5
- B = - 10

But this can't be correct because leads to wrong answers.
Thank you!
It is correct so far. What did you get for A,B,C?

ehild said:
It is correct so far. What did you get for A,B,C?
thank you very much for taking time to check this. I was panicking a bit, because it seemed so wrong and I couldn't figure out why.
A = 15, B = 10, C = -4
And the answer is:
3/x + 2/x^2 - 4 / 5(x - 1)

Thank you!

ducmod said:
thank you very much for taking time to check this. I was panicking a bit, because it seemed so wrong and I couldn't figure out why.
A = 15, B = 10, C = -4
And the answer is:
3/x + 2/x^2 - 4 / 5(x - 1)

Thank you!
From the equations you had, you should have got C=-4/5. That would have given the right answer since e.g. your 1/x term is defined as A/(5x)=15/(5x) = 3/x. Similarly the B term.
You could have made life a little simpler by taking out the 1/5 as a common factor up front, only bringing it back right at the end. You certainly did not need to include it in the decomposition; you could have decomposed as A/x+ etc.

1. What is partial fraction decomposition using matrix?

Partial fraction decomposition using matrix is a method used in mathematics and engineering to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions. It involves expressing a rational function as a sum of simpler fractions, with each fraction having a distinct denominator.

2. Why is partial fraction decomposition using matrix useful?

Partial fraction decomposition using matrix is useful because it allows for easier integration and simplification of complex rational functions. It also helps in solving differential equations and performing inverse Laplace transforms.

3. How is partial fraction decomposition using matrix performed?

To perform partial fraction decomposition using matrix, the rational function is first written in the form of a matrix equation. The matrix is then factored into its corresponding eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The partial fraction expansion is then determined by using the inverse of the original matrix.

4. What are the advantages of using partial fraction decomposition using matrix instead of other methods?

Partial fraction decomposition using matrix is advantageous because it is a systematic and efficient method that can be applied to a wide range of rational functions. It also allows for easier manipulation and simplification of complex expressions, making it a useful tool in solving various mathematical problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial fraction decomposition using matrix?

Yes, there are some limitations to using partial fraction decomposition using matrix. It can only be applied to rational functions that can be factored into linear and quadratic terms. It also requires knowledge of matrix algebra, which may be challenging for some individuals.